How to: Overclock Dell, Gateway, Compaq and other branded computers

Discussion in 'Links' started by qube, Nov 14, 2002.

1. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    the intel 850 and 845 chipsets are totally locked the pll's are maxed out, and that came right from wolfrag podien. so.. if he could have gotten it to work he would have.
    but im on my new 875p 3ghz HT rig with PC3200 DDR so hhmm i wonder.. hehehe.

2. SySt3m_cH3q

SySt3m_cH3q Guest

I thought im almost there but unfortunately not, my experience is this. . .I already got the cpu fsb when I select the motherboard brand and type it appears that it found that I have a PLL 94228 and when I set the frequency just one step up it and then when I look at my WCPUID it works then I saved it but when I restarted my PC the frequency go back to it's default speed and I repeat the steps again and it says error reading PLL when I click the set frequency why it happened?Is it because the PLL is not allowing any changes on its default FSB? Pls reply on this!

3. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    if windows wont restart and keep your new setting, then just start cpufsb and set it everytime,,, what speed are you running stock and what is the OC'd speed you are using, or trying too, with your ECS motherboard you shouldnt need the cpufsb program as the bios should allow you to overclock it,, or is this a Dell motherboard ?
    but if you try to restart cpufsb and redo the fsb and it wont work, chances are it is not going to work at all, and it may have just been a clitch,, BUT if it does work then just kinda be happy its working like that, lol.
    you can also email wolfgram podien and within a day or 2 he WILL reply to you, and have an answer. ive emailed him several times and he seems like a decent guy who will help you if need be.

4. SySt3m_cH3q

SySt3m_cH3q Guest

Dear V_LESTAT,

Thank you for your reply and advice, I appreciated it a lot, bad news is i think it really doesn't support by CPUFSB, i just only thought it is. But anyway, i'll just upgrade my mobo i'm gonna look for much better mobo that allows overclocking thingies, thanks again, Have a nice day pal!

5. ironblood

ironblood Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS ATi Radeon x1600pro 256mb
    Mine is 9250af-33 but it isnt supported :( :( :(

6. Doobz

Doobz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX nVidia 6800 GT
    how safe can this really be though? most of these boards don't have temperature sensors, at least none that i can find, so if you do manage to OC it, your processor could be running at a dangerous temp and you wouldn't know it

7. ssbopper

ssbopper Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB
    awww this sucks

8. yojimborobert

yojimborobert Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GT @ stock
    thanks a lot... I got my 2200+ to run at 2 Ghz, so now it's reading as a 2400+ in bios. I think I'm limited by voltage by now (my ram is PC2700, so it's not running full speed yet, FSB is at 148). Does anyone know how to change voltage by software? (my ECS POS doesn't let you in bios, and there are no updates that will). Thanks again to all...

9. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    basically fellas, since i worked at gateway for several yrs i can tell you with all confidence gateway machines are LOCKED.
    they use intel motherboards for the intel pc's and those are NOT overclockable, even if you get a retail intel board you still cant overclock them.

as for AMD.. they no longer carry them but some of them were overclockable but only clightly and that was with CPUFSB. and what little bit you could overclock wasnt even worth it.

10. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    which means dells are to osince they use similar boards,, basically your screwed for overclocking OEM boards

11. ssbopper

ssbopper Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB
    woohoo!! the new version of cpufsb allowed me to overclock my gateway!!! and it's strange that i didn't have to select the pll either to do it...

12. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    what new version ?

overclocking ddr333 wierd since the P4 boards PLL chip is locked.,
    hhmm i better go look at it.

and are you SURE it overclocked it, there are somethings in that program that APPEAR to work, but it dont, use something like SiSoft Sandra to read what your CPU rating is,, and then what the REAL speed is,, dont use the test,, there is a information section.

13. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    Intel Pentium IV 100 MHz / 133 MHz thats all the higher cpufsb will go if your running at 200mhz fsb or higher, it wont work.

that 2.4ghz is that the 533 fsb or the 400 fsb ,,

14. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    oops i mean thats all the higher CPUFSB supports,, it will overclock higher lol

15. Bloodstrike

Bloodstrike Guest

My pc also locks up when I increase the FSB. I have still got an Athlon 500mhz (ICS: 9248-64) and not the xp 3000+, see profile. I downloaded CPUFSB v2.2.13 . Are there other software like cpufsb and softfsb which can change the FSB?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2003

16. Bloodstrike

Bloodstrike Guest

Does anybody know how to use SoftFSB.

[​IMG]

Nevermind, the SoftFSB v1.7 G1 didn't work, but the SoftFSB v1.7 Final did work.
    But with both CPUFSB and SoftFSB my pc would lock up, when I increase the FSB from 100(33.3) to 120(30)mhz. Both don't support smaller increases.
    With the SoftFSB v1.7 G1 I can increase the FSB from 100(33.3) to 112(37.3)mhz.

http://www.geocities.com/enigmadeadsouls/softfsb.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2003
  17. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    dude your abit motherboard should have all the overclocking features already built in why do you need to use a application to do it.

18. Bloodstrike

Bloodstrike Guest

If you're looking at my profile. I'm still ordering this pc with abit-mobo. At the moment I've got a sh!tty sh!tty Compaq with 500mhz Athlon and NO abit.

19. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    ahhh lol got ya
    with that 500 mhz athlon the fsb probably isnt going to go much over 100.
    that is assuming the default fsb is 100

20. Sheograth

Sheograth Guest

that's sad

out of the thousands of PLL's there, mine is not on the list, guess that old laptop is staying at 733mhz.... But thanks anyway:(