Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 17.5.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 4, 2017.

1. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    FWIR, its currently extremely difficult for AMD and Nvidia to "force" triple buffering in games due to the way Direct3d works, which is why the "enable /disable triple buffering" in the NVCP does absolutely nothing in modern DirectX games. At least AMD is honest about it---labeling the switch "Open GL Triple Buffering" ;)

The easiest way to force Triple Buffering AFAIK, is to run the game in borderless fullscreen, which unfortunately disables CFX for those of us with Multi-GPU, though Nvidia's SLI still works in that situation. I find though, with a few exceptions, that most new games dont run quite as smoothly in Borderless Fullscreen as fullscreen exclusive.

2. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I can relate to that, when I had a laptop, it has an 8600m GS and generally speaking, extending monitors was problem free with it but when I had a 9600GT, it was a pain in the arse to use a TV as an extended monitor, having to set a custom resolution which just doesn't play nice with a lot of games/programs - and this behaviour is still present in more modern cards too. A friend of mine has a GTX 770 and he has the same issues, extending to a TV, having to manually set a custom defined resolution in order to use it.

So I don't know whats different between a mobile nVidia chip and a desktop card but you'd expect the behaviour to be just the same? (though the 8600m GS is an old example now).

3. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Is this UVD bug is like higher clock speeds? Because if i play blu-ray or any video while i have chrome or any app open , i have 300 GPU/300 Memory clock. Once i have asked already but it was long ago :D

One more thing, VSR works fine all the way up to 4K even with CRT monitor. Temporary , i have to use it and the VSR doing excellent job , out of the box.

Make CRT 4:3 monitor to capable to do 4K with VSR, is pricesless. :D

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  4. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Just for fun, in MADVR i turned up image scaling options to max and still not running at max speed(RX480)(GPU/Memory). If i stop the player, everything goes back to 300/300.

5. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Yeah, I dont use extended desktop, so maybe thats why I've never had issues.

6. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Yes, just check some reviews done by Gamers Nexus and Digital Foundry, or Hardware Unboxed. You'll see who's spreading misinformation. There're lots of titles where the RX 480 yields higher maximum framerate but loses when it comes to the minimum framerate, miserably.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Remove the space between Gamers Nexus)

Edit: Not sure why Guru3D filters out Gamers Nexus. They do very in depth reviews, and has been using frametime for measurements for as long as I can remember. Reviewers who stick to just average framerate are the ones that're misleading, IMO.

Scott Wasson at Tech Report came up with the conception of frametime, he's with RTG now and has appeared on numerous Gamers Nexus videos.

I'm sure I've angered a lot of AMD fanboys like you by uttering the truth. The fact remains the same: DX11/DX12, AMD's minimum framerate suffers. And if you're not using a top of the line Core i7 CPU with your AMD GPU, you'll see worse performance compared to a competing nvidia card. The GTX 1060 flies past a RX 480 when used with a Core i3, and fares better when coupled with a Core i5. When these issues are brought up, people like you tell people like me that these issues don't exist or to go buy nvidia. And neither of these actions help AMD or the consumers, to back this up, the market share stats speak for themselves.

7. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Just for fun, I feel like informing you that the UVD bug is only present for GCN 1.0 mostly and 1.1 in some cases. RX 480 is unaffected.

8. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Nvidia Control Panel's Triple Buffering has worked flawlessly on older DX9/DX10/DX11 titles since the release of Windows 10. Whereas AMD's Triple Buffering, despite being labelled for OpenGL only, doesn't even work on OpenGL titles. Tested on Rage, DOOM 3, Prey, Quake IV, ONi, Quake III, and the list goes on. Over the years people had to rely on D3DOverrider or RadeonPRO or having to switch back and forth between Windowed mode to FullScreen mode using Alt+Enter in titles that allowed this for forcing Triple Buffering on AMD cards, something I believe the end user shouldn't have to deal with. For nvidia, it was way too easy with their control panel setting which is still applicable for older operating systems.

9. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Not sure what do you expect, when people vote for "Radeon Settings built in performance benchmark" over Triple Buffering lel

10. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Benchmarking > playing. :banana:
    I would to know, is there any sense of voting. Poll has been added a few months ago.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup it's wrong :)

Sometimes you need to delete Game Profile in Relive to game work properly !
    Sometimes you need to disable FPS Cap (e.g. in R6 Siedge, use V-Sync 1frame)
    Sometimes you need to disable Power Effic.

etc.

12. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    It has never done anything for me in either enabled or disabled position, going back to my Titan Blacks, or even my SLI'd 680s in D3D games. Now, RadeonPro and D3DOverrider had been able to force Triple Buffering on/off in some games with varying success.

If the game engine supported Triple Buffering with VSync, Triple Buffering was on. I couldn't disable it or force enable it using the NVCP. The only way I could force TB is Borderless Windowed mode, and the reason is that all that stuff is taken over by Windows' DWM, and no longer at the mercy of the game engine or NVCP.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No it isn't. Radeon Pro forces both TB and various Vsync methods with no issue at all, and it's abandonwere for the last three years at least.

14. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Disagree on the "no issue" thing. For one thing, forcing it on would prevent certain games from even loading (Guild Wars 2 comes to mind for me). Secondly, for a game that didnt already have triple buffering + Vsync, I was never actually able to force triple buffering on. My guess as to why AMD and Nvidia never looked into what the RadeonPro guy (or the D3DOverrider guy for 32bit/DX9 games) was doing with his forced TB method was that for the amount of games/systems it actually worked on, it wasnt worth it.

If you read various threads on the nvidia reddit, they confirm that the Triple Buffering setting in the NVCP only affects OGL games. It does absolutely nothing for D3D.

Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4xic0e/triple_buffering/

They also suggest that our "Fast Sync" setting is about the closest you can get to forcing triple buffering on in games that arent coded for it, but I've never tried that.

15. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Guess I'm lucky that RadeonPro works on my system, in many older games. Currently playing:

Arkham Origins --> in-game vsync locks me to 30 / RadeonPro: smooth as butter
    Serious Sam HD --> in-game vsync causing micro stutters / RadeonPro: smooth as butter
    Portal 2 --> in-game tripple buffering causing micro stutters / RadeonPro: smooth as butter

Many other games have garbage vsync, so RP is a must have for me.

16. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Arent those all DirectX 9 games?

17. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Nice to know in the fun way. :D

18. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Arkham Origins is dx11.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That was most likely issues with hooking and third party interfering overlays like Steam/RTSS etc, something that a driver implementation wouldn't face.

Can you give me one title as an example? I don't remember TB not working with anything that RadeonPro actually worked on.

This is just a shame. Fast Sync is nothing like triple buffering btw. To highlight that it's possible to force it everywhere, it's actually in the list of features that AMD is taking feedback on about implementing.

http://radeon.com/radeonsoftware/feedback/?ver=17.5.1&lang=en_US

20. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Interesting. In any case, I think that especially for DX11 games, the success rate with force enabling/disabling triple buffering might have been too low for Nvidia or AMD to feel the need to add such a feature to their drivers.

DX9 I expect a higher success rate with as you were able to force other things on that you couldnt really do with 10+, or at least effectively, like MSAA. Probably due to the extensive rendering path rewrite between 9-10 (11).