Best OS for games in here

Discussion in 'Links' started by Dave, Nov 25, 2002.

1. >>> I agree!!! 98SE and ME beats out 2000/XP in gaming but only in slight margins. Some games cannot run smooth on 2000/XP. For stability, i'll go for XP. The truth is that XP is good and more better than you think but it lacks spices especially when we talk about gaming. Even with service packs around, I cannot say that i will go XP on games. In my experience i'll go for 98/ME on games but XP on more applications and stability.

2. locki

locki Guest

yeah, 98 for gaming, xp for other applications....but when the ps3 comes out, im gonna stick with it for gaming purposes...i just want to play on visually phenomenal frame rates on an easy to handle console, where you just insert the cd, play the game all you want while waiting for the pizza delivery. ;)

3. FunKdaFriEd

FunKdaFriEd Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 =(
    I do mostly gaming on my machine .... and Im a happier gamer since using xp pro..... my machine runs rock solid with next to no problems at all...... it handles resources used for gaming excellent IMO....I have 768 ddr btw...when I was running win98se(with 512 sdram) I would have to reboot every couple hours to get some resources back and get my performance back up to par, but with XP this thing can run all day perfectly;)

4. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

Without a doubt, xp has been better than any OS I've ever used for gaming, compatibility problems aside..

I run my gaming rig with a tweaked XP install, running only 5 necessary background services. If done correctly, it'll do all the things you'd expect your pc to do, only it uses less than 70mb at idle. Not too bad considering it was close to 120mb before tweaking...

It shuts down and boots faster than ever too, even without using bootvis. :)

I used to use 98 and ME, but from what I've seen, XP is sometimes 10% faster in most games in comparison to older operating systems.

That shouldn't be a suprise really, as long as you have enough memory to keep xp from using the swap file constantly, it's gonna be faster, afterall, it's more advanced and better optimized for multimedia than past operating systems have been.

If only it didn't have problems with old games...

5. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Cool.

How did you do it? Is there a webiste or an online guide we could see?

6. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

7. Art Vandalay

Art Vandalay Guest

Gentoo Linux :cool:

Sooner or later, gamers will realise that linux is THE operating system considering the stability, tweakability and performance and when that happends (still not too popular among us), more companies will do like Bioware, ID Software and Epic Games and give linux support for their products.

Linux is not for the lazy who won't read docs but when it falls in the hands of somebody who's ready to learn, it will do a big smile as well as the user :D

8. seamus

seamus New Member

GPU:
    MSI Ti4600 128MB
    Hi all, I'm new to the site.

Just wanted to say I've been gaming with win2k for some time now, and really have no complaints. I agree with what others have said, and prefer the stability and smoothness of 2k over the 9x/ME incarnations. Even if 98 proved to be faster, the OS definitely had a higher incidence of mishaps when compared to 2k. I tried XP when it first came out, but at that point, it was brand new and I couldn't find much info or support on the OS itself. It caused me some grief, so I canned it. I went to 2k, and haven't really been too curious to try XP again since then. That is unless XP is much better than 2000, then I would give it another look for sure. Have no clue on that one. Not to mention, I'm wondering how much longer I'll be able to game under 2k, like are its days numbered with the planned releases from MS?

9. sikb0y

sikb0y Guest

I find myself constantly switching between XP and 2000....I go with 2000 when im in gaming mode...i have trouble playing Rainbow Six and UT with the XP mouse acceleration problem.....however 2000 is no match for XP wnen it comes to divx movies, Flash MX and smoother browsing.

10. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Hey Emanon I went through everything on that dudes website and my machine is blazing.:D Two thumbs up to ya for giving providing this to the forum. I have all my settings for my Video Card to the max quality setting and playing my games with no problem. All this with no oc'ing which is a plus.:D

That site rocks!!!!

11. Cogar

Cogar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT
    I have new hardware--that is, purchased recently, not cutting edge. Still, some pre-2000 games will not run correctly in XP, even with SP-1 installed and using the so-called compatibility mode. This includes games that run just fine with Me or 2000 Pro. Although XP may be faster, I think it is more important that they run. ;)

12. 3dfxvoodoo7maka

3dfxvoodoo7maka Active Member

GPU:
    ATI x800Pro(472/450)
    Yeah! I say te same thing, it would be the best to have two systems, one for appz and the other one for gaming.
    If windows xp user profiles would at least allow to disable hardware and options through different profiles then that would be it.

By the way Windows 98Se is the best os, you just need to tune it.
    But wXP is good if you have new harware so better stick with it.

13. sulFer

sulFer Guest

have to say server 2003 funny enuff, its so much better then xp and 2k etc its an amazing os, u gotta try it to see really good stuff.

14. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    Win 2k3 is horrible if you have a G4 ti4800SE... no drivers at all for it. No games run! :(

I tried Win XP and i couldnt get a thing to run longer than 5 min cept the OS itself... Media player even crashed on me :-/

I dunno if it was a faulty install but after everything i read im ready to try win xp again and give it one more shot.

i have been having lots of probs recently on win 2k :cry:

15. Cosmos

Cosmos Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 770 4GB
    You took the words straight out of my mouth. :rolleyes:

16. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Windows 2000 SP4 all the way....!!!!

17. 3dfxvoodoo7maka

3dfxvoodoo7maka Active Member

GPU:
    ATI x800Pro(472/450)
    Yo just formated my Hdd, made 2 partions, and installed win98se on first drive and winxp on second.

Now I have optimized win98se only for gaming and nothing else, no internet, no ethernet drivers to slow down perf, no usb ...
    On winxp I have all other stuff for internet, programs...

This seams to be best combination for all, you just have to choose on boot which to load.

18. kondik

kondik Guest

The best os for games is WindowsRG:D
    Now real i play on Windows 2003 Enterprise and it goes great

19. Soto_Ayam

Soto_Ayam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB SLI
    WhiteRaven... i hope you knew that when you install VGA drivers... you gotta set the hardware acceleration to full... Win2k3 auto sets it to low :)

Anyways, I just installed win2k3 today and I'm still testing stuff... some programs fail to run tho =\

20. IZON

IZON Guest

remind me not to come to you for Linux advice, sorry wildman but I have to disagree with you. The lack of variety and non-standardisation you call a handicap is actually a big advantage for Linux. It's really where operating systems developments should have been back in mid seventies a mixture of development and creativity. Not to metion all the job opportunities that have been created (which Gates would have happily destroyed if Linux had been listed company) and there's Sobig.F which took advantage of several weaknesses in windows operating system because of standardisation. In the 'early' days of Dos there were no GUI's to talk off too. True most users like right click, which is why Mandrake, Redhat, Lycoris, Suse are very popular.