X850 Pro MOD to X850XT/XT PE

Discussion in 'Links' started by jblade, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    I uninstalled my drivers before flash rebooted flashed my card reboot and a new card was there, installed the drivers and worked like a charm since.

2. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    i did this as soon i got my card from compusa.

3. Odissius

Odissius New Member

Updated Catalyst Drivers to 5.1.3, ATITOOL is 0.24: shows 16 pipes. Cannot understand why SCAN FOR ARTIFACTS and CLOSE 3D VIEW generates a dialog box that says:

"The video card you selected for overclocking in ATITool does not seem to be used by windows. Visual Testing has been disabled. To fix this, go to Display Properties......blah blah...."

At the same time ATITool is allowing me to overclock core and mem settings. During a VIDEO stability and stress test ATITool temp functions are displayed and temp never exceed 55/39. The stress test and stability test complete normally.

Your thoughts are welcomed because I have hit a brick wall on what to try next! Thanks.

*Edit* And all my textures in games look like absolute crap compared to before (and yes I fixed the graphics settings back to what they were before).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  4. mdawg

mdawg New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT 128mb AGP

5. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    The 6600gt yes, depends with the 6800gt

6. mdawg

mdawg New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT 128mb AGP
    why does it depend on the 6800GT

7. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    I think the 6800gt is better cause i use opengl moe than anthing else
    but that is up to your prefrences.
    they are both great cards:)

8. hp_spec

hp_spec New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850XT PE 256 softmod
    Success

I used the method consisting of FLASHROM, X850 XT PE Bios, Forcing 520/540 through ATITool...

Well, it obviously worked w/16 pipelines opened up here, but the fan won't stay on... it'll start up at boot full speed and like when Windows Boot Screen starts it trails off...so I'm using a secondary external 80mm fan layered on it to resolve that temporarily. Any ideas?

And nowhere does it display "X850XT PE" just X850 Series... any thoughts?

\\\Thanks!

9. mdawg

mdawg New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT 128mb AGP
    hp, where did you buy your x850pro at?

10. hp_spec

hp_spec New Member

GPU:
    ATI X850XT PE 256 softmod
    It was actually the last one left at my work (Circuit City)

11. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850

I would reflash with that moded x850 pro bios i posted

It just opens up the 4 extra pipes and keeps the stock core ram speeds plus it lets you keep the fan control that comes on the x850 pro's

You can always use ATItool to OC it :)

12. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    ya just flash it back to the original bios just don't put -newbios. It will keep the 4 extra pipes but the fan will work like it is supposed to. Just OC using ATTools.

13. NDferro

NDferro Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850 W/16P
    X850 Pro To X850 Xt /xt Pe / X850 W/16p

Yeah this works great flashed mine with the bios for a x850 xt pe then flashed it back while keeping the 16p enabled

3dmark 05 score before 5046
    with 16p enabled 5404
    nice jump for free

14. MikePags

MikePags Member

GPU:
    ATI 850X Pro modded to XT PE
    OK I just looked and my Ser is 18053xxx I was able to unlock to 16 pipes, but won't run stable over 520/600,, is this because of the laser cut?

15. Chris B67

Chris B67 New Member

GPU:
    X850 Pro 16P 520/540
    No, if you were laser cut you wouldn't have been able to open the 4 remaining pipes. My first 850 Pro was locked by another method besides BIOS flashing and no matter what I did, it would not unlock.
    The limiting factor on the 850 Pro to XT mod is the factory cooler on the Pro isn't very good at cooling much more than it was originally intended to cool. I can run my modded Pro all day long at 520/540 (XT speed) but as soon as I go higher I start to get artifacts. The first time I tried playing BF2 at XT speeds it actually froze solid on me after about 1/2 an hour. I removed the factory cooler, cleaned off the factory thermal paste, and carefully applied some Arctic Silver 5 to the GPU and it helped a little with the temps. I have never seen my temps go over 76*C even under a pretty heavy load. I can now Play BF2 for hours at 520/540 without a single graphical glitch. I haven't tried any higher for an extended period of time 'cause the minimal gain doesn't outweigh the potential loss :bolt:
    I would say 600 on the memory is great overclock from 500 stock. As far as the core goes, it's anybody's guess there but I wouldn't expect much more without better cooling. Just my .02 worth...

16. MikePags

MikePags Member

GPU:
    ATI 850X Pro modded to XT PE
    OK Problem solved [so far] after reading coget's post, I ran to Circuit City and they had a 18052 ser # [last one], and bought it. Flashed to XT PE and running silky smoothe @ 540/590 with 13,350 3Dmarks '03 avg. Using Zalman VF700-CU FHS [ewiz $27 shipped by donkey free] the temps never broke 53.9c and avg was 40c. I believe the 1st card was NOT laser cut but just couldn't do the push. I might have fried it my self when I installed ATI Tools the first time not knowing the fan was dead until you select fan overide. I ran it with no fan for a couple of hours with Aquarium ss running,,, ouch. My thanks to all the input on this thread. Now for the real tests, playing Fear, COD2 etc. fingers crossed

17. ShaqFu

ShaqFu New Member

Problem

I did this mod a while ago and unlocked to 16 pipes fine. However, the fan problem was annoying me so I decided to flash the old bios back in, and now it will not go back to 16, it stays at 12 absolutely no matter what. I've tried flashing empty.bin, using newbios and everything, and it will not move from 12 pipes. I had it running fine at 16 before. Any ideas to get 16 back?

18. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    HP_spec if you go to display properties choose adapter and it should read "ATI X850 XT Platinum Edition", if you flashed your card properly.

19. coget

coget Member

...great!!!:)

20. Amnesia

Amnesia New Member

GPU:
    powercolour x850 pro 256mb PCI-E
    rivatuner

hi, i dont know if this is true but i heard you are able to unlock pipelines using software calld rivatuner,
    To try and unlock the pipelines using Rivatuner:

1. On the main tab, click on the button with a triangle on it with the word customize... in front of it.

2. Click on the video card icon and then click on the nvstrap tab and click the install button located at the bottom of the screen.

3. Click and check the boxes that say, "allow enabling hardware masked units" and, "unlock professional capabilities"

4. Click on the active pixel/vertex units configuration and change it to custom.

5. Click on the customize button that is no longer grayed out.

6. You will see a table. Simply click on the table where the missing check mark is for your masked pipelines.

7. Restart. (you may have to restart at other steps in this process too).

Not sure if this is true but i guess its worth a try, still havent got my x850pro bak, i had to send it bak and get a refund or something, cos of a power spike, but i will try this method when i get my card bak :D