How to: Overclock Dell, Gateway, Compaq and other branded computers

Discussion in 'Links' started by qube, Nov 14, 2002.

1. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    g400 only way to know is to research it or email podein and ask him if he has any clue.

overclocking a notebook isnt a good thing especially a gateway
    not to mention the 9300 is only a 650-700mhz Pent III so forget ever overclocking that thing,, just step away from that thought and never look back.
    that thing is old old old and will never overclock it has horrible parts, horrible ram and a cpu that isnt going to overclock as long as its in that laptop,,

2. tuberacer49

tuberacer49 Member

GPU:
    6800 GT
  3. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    go here and download cpu-z and clockgen.
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    CPUZ is used to get the specs of the cpu ram and mobo and voltages for cpu and front side bus and other important things.
    clockgen is used to overclock, but its not on allt he time you have to turn it on and read the website on how to make it work all the time.
    thats all you need to overclock that system AS LONG AS ITS AMD64.
    im not sure about if its a sempron if it will work so just look thru the cpu-z website. and read the instructions and get the proper version of clockgen thats made for semprons or amd64.

overall your gunna be way way way way way better off getting a better motherboard, and ebay has thousands of them for sale... infact i have 2 for sale that will work if your system is amd64.. if its sempron ill have to look at the specs of them to see if they are sempron compatable.

being a compaq though,,, the ram may not allow you to overclock but you never know they may have actually used decent ram.. same with the mobo,, i cant even find that mobo on google so chances are even though its oem that isnt its real name..

4. taseal

taseal Guest

hmm, no support for 951402 ICS :(

anyone know where else i can find something to play with mine?

5. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    that totally depends on what motherboard and chipset it is.
    check CPU-Z website their tool called ClockGen might work.
    check it out.

6. r0k0

r0k0 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    can someone tell me how to unlock the fsb in the bios other than flashing the bios ? and my bios is still up to date but cant change anything

7. MUff!N

MUff!N Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 320/320(648/
    If the FSB is not in your bios (like mine Gateway E4000) then you're going to have to find a utility to do that like I did...
    1. CPUZ Clockgen.
    2. CPUFSB.
    Both of these worked on my computer...although CPUFSB is better with the finetuning. :cool:

8. afunguy24

afunguy24 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gt SC
    lol

LoL at all these noob questions.."Wheres the link, its down".."can I overclock this"...ahhh we are pathetic and noobs. It comes with the territory of buying a dell. Just take a look at me buying a 6800 le (8/4/2 times agp compatible) when my fucin dell board only supports up to 4 times,but I suppose if i max out my ram(1024) then i can run high end games?? Currently only have 256 ram

This is serious question.^

9. zietleben

zietleben Master Guru

GPU:
    6800gs
    Okay need a little help i have an emachines something or other well here is what is it.

Motherboard
    Manufacuterer -first international computer company
    model-am37 pcb1.x
    chipset-via p4m266/km266 (vt8375)

Bios
    Brand - Phoenix tech , ltd
    Version - 6.00pg
    Date - 02/13/2003

Anyways i checked both tools and i dont think i can over clock it can u confirm or deny this?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  10. badboll

badboll Member

GPU:
    6800Nu Pci-e
    What about my card?
    Its some sort of Asus card, its in a HP Pavilion d1160.

The chip look like this;

http://hem.bredband.net/badbolll/Hpchip.jpg

I cant find any program that supports it.

Help! :)

If u cant see om the pic, the text says like this:

IDT CV110LPV FV0429HJM

11. mykemyk2005

mykemyk2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    a garbage fx5200
    I have an Intel 865g p4 3.0 HT. 1 gig micron ram (if that makes sense) its 3200. My fsb says "Real clock 200 Mhz (QDR) and effective clock 800 mhz. Does this mean i have 1 ghz fsb? or 800 mhz fsb? Also this program im using is called "aida32". It says my maximum overclock can be 3.6 ghz. Does anyone have any insight into my type of computer and what can be done.

12. badboll

badboll Member

GPU:
    6800Nu Pci-e
    I have a Intel i915 Grantsdale chip. Is there any way for me to overklock?

13. MUff!N

MUff!N Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 320/320(648/
    I just googled that question...seems Intel has Locked it from being overclocked...maybe later someone will crack it so it will over clock, but for now...I'd say no...

14. mykemyk2005

mykemyk2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    a garbage fx5200
    quick question. when i downloaded CPU-Z it says my info on my ram but "performance mode - disabled". How do i enable this and would i want to enable this? I have 1 GB from Micron PC 3200

15. Crixx_Creww

Crixx_Creww New Member

GPU:
    Chaintech Apogee 6800
    i have a dell 8300 with a 2.8 p4 northwood.

Pll is ICS 9256 01ef

cant find it anywhere in the list.

If anyone knows of an equivalent pll i can use, like that guy phantom cracking that found out that two diff mobos use the same pll and used the values for the one that is supported, then please let me know.

Iam anxious to try and crank a bit more power out of this machine, i really love my p4.

16. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    dell and gateway used locked PLL's you cant overclock them people how many times does this have to be said.

not to mention they are INTEL MOTHERBOARDS you CAN NOT overclock an intel motherboard unless is it a RETAIL motherboard . Then intel has a desktop overclocking utility. BUT you can not use it on a dell or gateway cuz it tells you its not compatable.

go buy a good motherboard with overclocking built into the bios you can get GOOD motherboards from newegg starting at 100 and up.

17. schlupdog

schlupdog Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GTX 490/1300 stock
    V_Lestat,

Thanks for saving me a bunch of time. I have a Dell XPS 400, Pent D (820 @ 2.8), 2 GIG ram (I believe 3200) and a Dell 375 watt PSU.

Judging from all of your comments, basically it is pointless to attempt to oc this brand. Quick questions before I change mobo. How much of an o/c can the 820 achieve and what is good recommended PSU that can handle my set-up.

Appreciate your help. PS - I can forward the results from the CPUZ program.

18. SL-spirit

SL-spirit Master Guru

GPU:
    1GB Sparkle 9800GT
    Maybe I should be considering about getting a new MOBO since I also have a DELL Dimension 8300. So can you atleast overclock your video card or any other stuff like that???? So if NOT, would changing the Motherboard allow to overclock the system??? Please reply.

19. schlupdog

schlupdog Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GTX 490/1300 stock
    The Dell Mobo has nothing to do with overclocking the video card. However, once you start with video card, you will quickly realize that there is more power/performance to be had just by ocing the CPU and/or ram.

PS - the first thing I did was upgrade my psu (Ultra XInfinity 600).

Have fun and before you start ocing - read many of the stickies found here in the forums and take your time!

20. SL-spirit

SL-spirit Master Guru

GPU:
    1GB Sparkle 9800GT
    Tks schlupdog, and can you also tell me about how to check the PSU???? OR tell the prog and the link where you can get it so that I can check it as well??? Please reply.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006