More linksys q's

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by GTa86, Dec 11, 2001.

1. GTa86

GTa86 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 7850
    I'm probably going to call their tech support for this, but just wanted other peeps opinions. anyway, I have 2 pc's connected on a linksys router, I also have file/print sharing on them. anyway, when the pc thats connected to port 1 is off, and I turn on the pc thats connected to port 2, I cant go on the net. It doesnt detect my cable connection. I have to switch ports for it to work. Also sometimes I change the pc on port 2 to another pc, that also has file and print sharing enabled. Now is the router getting confused, since all the pc's are in the same workgroup? when I switched ports one time, I turned on the pc that usually connected to port 1, but was on port 2, and the pc on port 2 was connected was on, but it still didnt detect the cable connection. I switched them the way they usually were, and it worked fine on both ends. I upgraded my firmware already, so I am using the newest release. <br>
    <br>
    on 2 pc's I have winxp <br>
    and on the 3rd pc, I have win 2k....

2. Mgog

Mgog Guest

just a few questions.<br>
    do u have the ip from your cable company set up dhcp or hardcoded with the info?<br>
    is there a hub or switch in the mix? or is it just the 4 port router?<br>
    do all the computers have 192.xx.xx.xx ips? <br>
    can they ping each other?<br>
    how many ips is your router set up 4 in the setup?<br>
    what type of modem do u have. i have heard that the 3com (grey, looks like a shark fin) has problems with some hubs/routers.<br>
    <br>
    fyi..<br>
    the cable modem should go into the WAN port and pcs into the 1,2,3,and 4 ports. but if u use a hub/switch the first port needs to be open in order to work properly.<br>
    <br>
    <br>

3. GTa86

GTa86 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 7850
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mgog:<br>
    <b>just a few questions.<br>
    do u have the ip from your cable company set up dhcp or hardcoded with the info?<br>
    is there a hub or switch in the mix? or is it just the 4 port router?<br>
    do all the computers have 192.xx.xx.xx ips? <br>
    can they ping each other?<br>
    how many ips is your router set up 4 in the setup?<br>
    what type of modem do u have. i have heard that the 3com (grey, looks like a shark fin) has problems with some hubs/routers.<br>
    fyi..<br>
    the cable modem should go into the WAN port and pcs into the 1,2,3,and 4 ports. but if u use a hub/switch the first port needs to be open in order to work properly.</b><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><br>
    <br>
    It is a static IP<br>
    Nope just the 4 port router<br>
    yes the all have 192.xx.xx.xx ip's<br>
    never tried<br>
    DHCP?.....if yes 50<br>
    Toshiba cable modem<br>
    cable plugged in the wan port, and 1 and 2 ports are connected 2 pc's<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    I turned on the other pc earlier, and now it cant even sense the network. Its plugged in, but It cant find my workgroup. Also, I cant log into the router. I unplugged it for the time being, inhopes of completely resetting it. (not sure if that will actually happen. I almost broke my keyboard trying to figure this out......<br>
    <br>
    (arghhh y wont you work!?!?!? "smash kb, smash kb, type in router addy REAL hard, smash kb)

4. Mgog

Mgog Guest

do the pcs work without the router? ie just plugged directly into the cable modem. if they do, then u can assume that the nics and cables are ok. <br>
    <br>
    have u tried rebooting (power cycling) the router. i know with mine i have to power cycle every so often to get the pcs back on line. as far as i know this wont clear the settings, just turns it on and off.<br>
    <br>
    have u tried resetting the router with the reset button. this will clear all the settings and ull have to start over. should be a button on the front of the router. ull need a pin or paper clip to reset it.<br>
    <br>
    if that doesnt work take the router back and get a new one. it may be bad<br><br><i>This message was edited by Mgog on 10 Dec 2001 08:24 PM</i>

5. montybass

montybass Guest

Download the latest firmware (1.40.2) from Linksys (from a computer <i>not</i> plugged into the router) and flash it. These routers have been known to have bad firmwares right out of the box.

6. GTa86

GTa86 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 7850
    Already have the latest firmware. This thing is only a month old, and I flashed it as soon as I got it. Im going to plug it in later. let y'all know wut happens