How to Position your Speakers Correctly

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Jeremy, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    a

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. MetalFox

MetalFox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 DCII
    Good thread was worth stickying.

+ Some good info for newbies here
    + Acoustics part was good

And if you have normal speakers Remeber kids always set up them in phase !

[​IMG]

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    So that means makes sure your polarities are correct RED to RED, BLACK to BLACK. There is usually a white strip an the speaker wire or something of a color difference so you can tell the wires apart. If you mix up the phase by accident that means your speaker cone will be going out when it is supposed to be coming in and vice-versa. The speaker is 180 degrees out of phase. I know it sounds like something off of Star Trek but it's not. Your whole surround sound image will be messed up big time and it will sound really awful. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    I would just like to add one thing. if you have a ported sub you can face the port towards a wall and it will amplify the sound to an extent. but dont get to close or you will cause to many vibrations

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, if you put the subwoofer in a corner you get even more bass -it's called corner loading

6. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    Only thing I disagree about is the rears. Generally in home theater the rears will be a little above the listening position. The tweeter should be 6-20 inches above ear level while sitting. With monopole speakers, 6inches is recommended. With multipolar a little higher is more recommended for a wider dispersion of sound.
    7.1 layout help here: http://www.dtsonline.com/dts-hd/dtshd-speaker-remapping.php

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I will add that information thanks Spezzy.

8. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    No problem.:coffee2:

9. PhonyEye

PhonyEye Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970
    I placed some Densed Sponges (like the ones that protect cargo while shipping) under my subwoofer and some regular sponges (also those that protect cargo, but softer) as a mat (like a carpet) for my speakers, i think the sponges can help reduce noise coming from vibrations.

(My speakers are not mounted on a wall but instead are placed on a wooden plank)

Do you think i did good?

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, it will help especially on wood at minimizing vibrations like you said. Ensure that no fluff or anything blocks the airways of the sub woofer though.

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Everyone should know how to position speakers, it's so easy!

The speakers should be level with your ears and most importantly face you!

All you need to do now is buy a descent pair of speakers and position them correctly!

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    This thread was put here for people that don't know how.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    True, my bad! At least now some noobs can reposition their speakers!

Oh well, everyones gotta learn sometime! We were all a noob once upon a time!

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    If you have THX settings for your soundcard, you can manually adjust speakers angle and distance from head. Subwoofer has to be placed as low as possible and as far away as possible from the listener. This creates much more powerful bass and depth of it as well.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    THX settings can help to fine tune your system but the closer your speakers are to being position optimally the better and more accurate sound you will have.

16. Spirit02

Spirit02 Guest

GPU:
    6800XT/16GB
    I love how only 3 people who replied to this thread don't have a soundcard based on the CMI8788 :D

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I do....I have a X-Meridian 7.1 With X-Tension board and full LM4562's. -Wait, I changed out the LM's with OPA627's and 637's...

18. Spirit02

Spirit02 Guest

GPU:
    6800XT/16GB
    I assumed as much... knew you *did* have one... good to see you still do ;)

19. MrMoo232

MrMoo232 New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9800GTX
    The THX console in soundcards is to tell your soundcard how big your room is and how far apart each speakers is from each other and the listener, the angle adjustment is just for fine tuning, try to get the real angles (speaker positions) as close as possible to the correct position then use THX to make it sound that little bit better. IMO the sub should be in an opposite corner of the room to the listener, if you sit at the back of the room in the middle, the sub should be in the front left or right corner of the room (if you put the sub next to you in the rear left or right corners of the room you will be able to hear where the bass is comming from)

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    A subwoofer is considered omni-directional. Meaning the human ears cannot pinpoint where bass is coming from aslong as it is not overly loud.
    This is why the Bass blends in to the sats in many smaller systems as the ear hears the bass but not from any particular direction.