381.65 2x 1080TI + LG B6 HDR 4k TV = Windows 10 Freeze

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Plug2k, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Can someone explain why windows freezes everytime i plug the HDMI cable into my card then turn on my tv and the display will go black on my main monitor then go black on the tv then the tv will popup HDR with picture then vanish again and my main monitor will black out and come back, its like its not getting a proper signal and cause of this causes my windows 10 to freeze everytime

its so annoying i cant even use my TV with my PC like i did with my 980TI cards .....

what could the cause be..... anyone have 1080TI`s and LG`s B6 OLED TV`s lol

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i still have my acer predator x34, not gonna change for a while, maybe the hdr thing in sli is broke since creator update broke some color settings too, just conjeture, don't know really, but i havent expereinced any problems yet

3. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Hi mate, you need to disable the HDMI audio in the nvcp. I have the same TV and the screen would constantly flash from desktop to a black screen until I disabled the audio.
    I would actually roll back the driver for now as the HDR detection is currently broke (if your using windows 10 1703).

4. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sweet ;) thank god it was a bug then lol

EDIT: ok i take it back ... i cant even disable the audio as the screen goes black then i get a GPU _TDR_FAILURE BSOD in windows 10....

happens all the time when i plug in the hdmi cable and turn the tv on its like normal black screen then picture should pop up but stays black and repeats about 4 times then bsod....

bloody annoying this like and yes im running windows 10 1703 latest build...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

5. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Why everyone is using the windows 10 1703 creators ??

6. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Because it's rolling out now and everyone is updating to it. Basically back in the day we used to have Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2, etc. Now we have Anniversary Update (RS1), Creators Update (RS2), etc.

Always best to keep your Windows up to date. But if you don't want to face any of these issues, hold back for a couple of weeks while they get fixed. However updating and finding out what issues you might have, can get them fixed faster if they're reported.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    More like couple of months.

8. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Think you guys are getting confused as to what is my issue.....

I will try to make it a little more clear:

The problem is when i power on the tv, i hear the windows device connect sound, then i sometimes or sometimes not get a pciture but at the same time causes awfull stuttering from my system, and the mouse judders then freezes then judders and freezes at the same time im stuck in a windows device connected and reconnected loop until i get a BSOD VIDEO_TDR error..... from windows 10......

hope that makes it more clear.

9. VincentHanna

VincentHanna Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    I'm getting the same freeze with my Titan X (Maxwell) SLI + OLED B6

Nvidia now defaults the settings to 12bit YCbCr 422 which looks rank awful. I managed to change it all back to 8bit Full RGB but then I couldn't get Shadow Warrior 2 to work with HDR enabled.

Now i'm getting a lot of BSOD with: video tdr failure nvlddmkm.sys problems.

I'm going to try completely disconnecting my X34a primary desktop monitor to see if that cures it.

10. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Well, that is a limitation of HDMI 2.0, you can't have it all at once but only:

4k@60Hz@4:4:4@8bit
    4k@60Hz@4:2:2@10bit
    4k@30Hz@4:4:4@10bit
    2k@60Hz@4:4:4@10bit

You need DP1.4+HBM3 or HDMI 2.1 (neither is available on TVs yet) for 4k@60Hz@4:4:4@10bit (and even DP1.4 can't do 4k@120Hz@4:4:4@10bit or 4k@60Hz@4:4:4@12bit without lossy on-link compression, though I am not sure about the latter in practice).

(Note that 12bit is usually available as well in most of the cases listed above with 10bit but not when it's marked with 8bit top: you either run out of bandwidth before reaching 10bit or you cut your bandwidth down a lot with the other parameters, so when you make room for 10 bit, 12 bit will usually fit too. However, that doesn't matter so much since most HDR material is 10bit now and you probably care a lot more about 60 vs 30 Hz and/or 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 than you would care about 10 vs 12 bit anyway...)

Although... since most VGA cards will have a really hard time producing stable >30fps in modern games in 4k HDR mode, the 30Hz display mode might be considered as a viable compromise. (I personally hate it but most people never get more on game consoles and they don't even complain.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

11. VincentHanna

VincentHanna Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    I'm well aware of the limitations of HDMI 2.0

The big point is that prior to these drivers, I had no issues with my B6 OLED. There was no driver crashes with the TV connected, It looked great, Shadow Warrior 2 ran fine with HDR etc

Now I have to physically disconnect the HDMI cable just to get past the windows 10 login screen.

There is an issue here.

12. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Even though they use an Xbox One S (locked-down Windows 10 PC) as an example, this should apply to PC use as well.

how-to-get-hdr10-enabled-on-the-lg-b6-oled-4k-hdr-smart-tv-oled65b6p-and-work-with-the-xbox-one-s

But what Janos666 said is pretty much truth. 4k@60hz 4:4:4 Full RGB (without HDR) is 17.82gbps out of the 18gbps HDMI 2.0 provides and LG TV's allow this by enabling 'Ultra HD deep color' in the 'general' section of the menu.

If you have audio enabled over the same link, it will flicker due to lack of bandwidth, which disabling it is the trade-off for using 4k@60hz 4:4:4 Full RGB.

This is why I won't buy a 4k TV till HDMI 2.1 is out, since I prefer using an HDMI audio receiver with my PC. Everyone jumped on the HDR bandwagon too soon.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  13. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    Where did you read this? it is incorrect.

full rgb at 4k 60 is 25-27Gb/s

UHD is 4:2:0, with optional 10bit / HDR.

LG TV's use color compression, it's a hack and it adds to panel lag.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  14. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I just set this up with a B6 and can confirm I had strange 'snow' on my screen until I disabled audio to the TV.

I also use HDMI for audio out to a receiver -- from an Auzentech HTHD -- however you can also simply use another HDMI port on your NV card to your receiver for audio. Alternatively, you can use a DP to HDMI from the card for video and the HDMI port for audio.

15. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    It might be the quality of your HDMI cable if it persists when you disable the audio. An adapter wouldn't solve it.

I did that for a bit when we were remodeling my parent's basement and they bought a new LG 55UH6150 4k TV (which of course I played around with... :nerd: ).

But what I don't like is having the video card running two different-sized viewports (my current receiver only passes up to 1080p. So going to replace that too when I get a 4k HDMI 2.1 TV) when gaming as it messes with things like v-sync and UI sizing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  17. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I think the lack of 4k@60Hz@4:4:4@10-bit is reason enough to skip all displays limited by HDMI 2.0
    I would also prefer 12-bit for Rec2020 with HDR because those "precious bits" now cover a lot bigger gamut (both in terms of chroma and luma), hence 10-bit is not an improvement at all but a pure necessity (banding could be way too obvious at 8-bit in certain content), you need 12-bit to really improve on the perceived gradation precision (compared to the "retro gold standard" 8-bit which should have been replaced by 10-bit in the FullHD era...).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Most panels are 8 bit though, only some are actually 10 and there's zero 12 bits panels out there so you have to take this into consideration. What you see isn't exactly what the data in the memory contains.

19. tress

tress Guest

GPU:
    1080/8gb
    So in a nut shell, is it possible to get 4 4 4 through this tv when coupled to a pc? ( ie good looking text) any opinions welcomed!

20. tress

tress Guest

GPU:
    1080/8gb
    cheers! i need to do some more reading to fully understand these issues. but you can read text clearly as one might on a normal 4k monitor when doing work stuff?