Former top Microsoft exec says world is over the PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by The Goose, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So all the development in virtualization technology, routing technology, scalable software design, etc has all been lying around?

New hardware focused on reducing power costs and scaling of that hardware. Most companies have absolutely no reason to purchase or develop power saving designs, as they don't see large scale savings from it. A cloud company has a huge financial incentive by developing power solutions. Not to mention that the plants can be located in areas where certain types of cleaner power is more abundant/cheaper. As for scaling, a device often operates at 80% of it's peak power while averaging a 15% utilization rate. By pooling everything on to each server, you're effectively increasing the efficiency of the system. In fact power companies offer rebates for virtualizing servers because of that.

Seriously? It makes all the difference. I want access to the music I purchased/downloaded on my computer, my car, my phone my TV, everywhere. I don't want to have to think about transferring files or setting up networks. I want to log in and have all my documents, email, etc all there on any device. Cloud computing offers that, having **** on your network doesn't.

Also all those costs are load adjusted, I can't for the life of me understand how you can't see that as a benefit. If I'm running a business and some days I need computing power, other days I don't, the ability to rent time on a machine or have my server scale to the load and pay by that is ****ing huge. In fact it's so huge it's the #1 reason why tons of companies are switching to those methods, it saves tons of money for businesses utilizing the system.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    My standpoint: the PC will never die, since all of the tiny tablets and what not are simply turning into a PC.

The PC will die out for normal consumers when the smaller gadgets have enough processing power.