G3D Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread Pt. 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by John, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm very selective in my mod choosing. It's not because I don't like the majority of the mods out there, it's just that Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim all run far smoother and more reliably (no CTDs) if you keep your mod number down. Anytime you get 100 mods, heck even 70+ you're just asking for conflicts and a plethora of bugs that are a P.I.T.A. to sort out. I got tired of that in my second or third (maybe fourth ?) playthrough of Oblivion. From there on I just pick a handful of graphics improvements - non of which overlap and try to do the same thing better -, a few gameplay or economy tweaks, and then the rest are simple cosmetic fripperies like armors, swords, etc... things that are new content and therefore don't tend to conflict with each other or with items in the game. I like to play the game, not dick around with CTDs and bugs.... if possible I make my own mods, when it's over my head, I research things carefully before jumping in. I'm convinced that 75-80% of the problems with Skyrim have been because too many people are using too many mods without using their brains first.*

*not directed towards anyone on this forum...........

2. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Probably the mods you have installed. For me it was one of the custom player houses. Uncheck all mods and see if it's fixed.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    agreed 100%, i like to keep the amount of mods to a minimum to prevent any bugs/conflicts and what not.

4. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I hear ya, fellas. I've got 300 hours into the game and this is the first seemingly un-fixable issue I've had. I always install my mods one at a time and play a while to be sure they're not causing problems. I had about 50 installed, almost exclusively of the visual/texture variety. This problem surfaced out of the blue, a full day after installing my last mod.

I've played through the game once already and am just mucking about at this point, so I'm not overly concerned.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. I mean exactly the same thing. Not sure what mod it was but I went into my save game folder to find the last few saves had gotten as big as 40MB+ in size which made me think it's probably a corrupt save game so went back a couple of hours gameplay to the last save that was 17MB, as most of my game saves since finishing the main quest have been around 17-18MB. Don't think it was the ship mod as this happened before that, have installed quite a few mods since so not going to try figuring out which one it was. It's probably been updated/fixed by now most likely.

6. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @BlackZero

Do you happen to have the Call of Madness (aka Cheese for Everyone shout) installed? Thinking back, I installed this several days back and only just got around to doing the mission a couple days ago. The shout never worked as advertised and I believe it was around that time that things went wonky. I also suddenly experienced massive load times - and I'm on an ssd. The only other mods I tried recently were the Asteria ship-home and Realistic Nights and Colors mod, which I quickly uninstalled.

I fear my insatiable desire to rain explosive, cheesy death from the heavens upon my enemies may have gotten the best of me. :wanker:

I really need to stop watching all these Skyrim Mods of the Week shows on Gamespot and Youtube. :)

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    the airship should work fine. i dont have any ctd's

8. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Is there a mod where you cant use shouts anymore? Makes the game too easy imo.

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    why would you do that ? it would make it impossible to force the dragons to land.

10. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Don't use shouts then! I mostly use clear skies when I don't like the clouds/rain/snow anymore, but other than that, I don't really need to use them.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You need shouts for stopping a storm on a mountain and the Alduin battle.
    Thats the only time I have used them (apart from when I first had to learn shouts).
    The game is way too easy without them when playing as a warrior.

12. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I dont fight the dragons, i ignore the main story. Same as in Oblivion, i didnt care about this hellgate.

Although ... the dragons dont ignore me.

13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    oh alright :) but you need to follow the main story in some instances. or things wont unlock. if you dont find the dragon burial site for instance, you wont see random dragons flying around.

anyways wish someone would make a killmove addon that works 100% . that dragon kill cinematic is awesome. though never get it while fighting dragons. (and got killmove + installed)

14. dzeijay

dzeijay Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 2Gb
    Assuming you have a 120hz monitor as well as I do? Do you get any flickering with water/animals/NPCs?

I can get 120fps everywhere with just inbuilt vsync on, giving ultra-smooth turnings etc but the physics breaks and water and animals/NPCs textures flicker randomly and displaces/distorts. Tuning down to 60fps (stays constantly) with a limiter I see and feel an awkward micro-stutter giving almost headache to watch. I can go up to about constant limited 85fps before the flickering issues starts again, but that does not differ much from 60fps. I have seen no fixes/suggestions to this. Running with simple borderless windows does not help, nor any adjustments to shadows or other ingame settings. And this happened with my previous GPU Nvidia GTX 580 as well. My rig is in good health and with msi afterburner I can see that gpu usage is not capped, or any other stat either.

Anyone experienced anything similar with high end rig and possibly solved it somehow? My rig specs:

CPU: Intel i7-2700k @ turbo 4.6Ghz w/ Noctua NH-D14, GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 2GB, MOB: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3
    RAM: 8GB G.SKill RipJaws 1600-7-8-7-24 DDR3, SDD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB MI, PSU: Fractal design Newton R2 1000W
    MON: Acer HN274h 120hz 2ms 27" @ 1920x1080, CASE: SilverStone SST-TJ08S, OS: Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    A high framerate kinda breaks stuff in this game, for a easy way to test this disable VSync (Well for a 120hz monitor it would be a 120 FPS limit so it wouldn't matter.) anyway disable VSync and then go to any indoor location like say the companion hall, grab any item when the framerate is around ~100 or so and all nearby items should go flying.
    (Along with that previously mentioned flickering.)

You need to limit the framerate to 60 or lower, could have been 64 due to that sync problem - I keep framerate at 59 via the ENB injector but there's other utilities available. :)

EDIT: Here's one utilizing the framerate cap via NVidia's drivers.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6143

And a D3d9.dll plugin variant.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=34

16. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I guess i'll just restart with a new char and will avoid getting the first dragonstone. As some sites say that will cause no dragon to show up except that first one.

I mostly play a dark brotherhood / thief char so being promoted to become the world's savior feels totally wrong. I'd just use the shouts to kill ppl and rob their castles lol.

17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    it will only bring one dragon up. the one on the west tower.

if you find the dragon burial site (jurgens horne quest i think) others will apear all over the place.

18. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I swapped out SMAA for Nvidia FXAA today (combined with 4xMSSA) and the AA looks just as good but without the added blur.

19. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, my freezes were definitely from the Call of Madness mod. I discovered I had three saves available from before the Mind of Madness quest (which initiates the mod scripting), loaded the most recent one and viola, the freezes are gone. I only lost half a levels worth of questing - no biggie.

Guess I'll be sticking with my usual cosmetic mods for a while - and keeping more than my usual 10 or so save-games for just such occasions.

Dammit, I really wanted that explosive cheese shout. Gamespot didn't seem to have any issues:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/top-five-skyrim-mods-of-the-week-march-31-6369159/

edit - I took screenshots of my mods in Mod Manager before I uninstalled everything, for future reference. I just re-installed the client and everything is still there - freaking awesome!

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Nope.. no cheesy rain for me (pun intended) though I did install the previous steam beta, which is probably as much thinking as I'll be giving the subject. The positive of all this is that I'l probably finally get around to switching save on exit and wait off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.