Windows 10 KB3213986 Update can cripple multi-monitor gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    the gift that just keep on giving.

3. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Ok and the problems with anniversary update are fixed? Like wiped partitions etc?

4. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    I got the same problem, I use 1 monitor that's Dell UP2414Q 4k but it uses something like dual transport with display port connector. So, since the latest update I've some issues with or my left side or my right side of the screen will be black.

From another forum I'm member of, I found this:

"In administrative CMD prompt:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3213986 /norestart"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not sure if uninstalling this update will return you to the previous one (14393.5xx), or right back to 14393 RTM, with them being cumulative, each update replaces the previous one

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If they want to force cumulative updates, the least they could do is make sure bugs like these don't exist. They probably thought their uwp **** games run in fullscreen windowed mode anyway and released it without a care. I hope a fix is released before Sunday.

Updates were better in the past, the only cumulative updates were rollups of previously validated updates. On top of that is the 3.99TB bug which seriously slows down windows update install and clean up even on an SSD. Then we'll have to deal with the "Creator's Update"'s teething issues in April. Ugh. PITA O/S.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It will bring you back to the previous update, assuming you didn't DISM it out entirely via the /resetbase parameter, though usually you wouldn't do that.

Would be DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup <- Compresses any previous superseded update whereas the same but with /resetbase added at the end removes the superseded updates entirely though it does prevent you from uninstalling the current one too. (Disk clean up utility should be about the same as the first command, takes a bit more time to compress instead of delete but it's safer.)

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Murphy's law in action.

[​IMG]

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Don't you just love not being in control of windows update.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah at least you can reign it in a bit with the "pro" edition of Win10 (And GPEdit or knowing a bit about regedit.) but for full access you actually need the "enterprise" edition or some of the GPEdit policies will have no effect.

They're improving that a bit with the upcoming RS2 / "Creator" update that should hit RTM in a few months. :)
    (For example by being able to more clearly disable WU from also "correcting" driver installations by downloading some old-ass GPU driver from the dark domains of the Microsoft Update servers. :p )

(It has it's uses of course but not when the driver currently installed is more than a year newer than the driver Windows is currently fighting you over and forcibly trying to install. :D )

11. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    How do you turn off auto updates? I leave my PC on over night to compile and every frigging time it's restarted for an update mid way through and error'd out. The way the program works means it's very difficult to start over as it corrupts everything and I have to go into the registry and multiple hidden folders to delete files.

Windows 10 is such crap, I want to go back to 7 as it was perfect.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Either disable the Windows update service, or

Start > Run: gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows update

[​IMG]

EDIT - Updated correct location

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    For ****'s sake. How many times has MS screwed up with Win 10 updates like this now? 7? 8 times? This is why forced updates shouldn't be legal.

14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Unfortunately MS will always run in to issues due to the infinite amount of PC configurations and WaaS. However, nothing has been ground-breaking as of yet to be quite frank.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont have one them monitors I dont even have AU on my pc.

16. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    basically you have to have win 10 updates on because they are updating it and changing as time goes by evolving it as they see fit so its always gonna be buggy as hell and annoying updating itself all the time, i use win 7 i install all the redists i need the net framework i need and direct x then turn upadtes off for good in registry, services ,current control set 1 and 2 and current user all off make sure its 4 in all, if you disable updates off in services control panel microsoft turn it back on , only registry u can stop it , but win 10 it may not work because if you edit registry it starts to blue screen and fail you need do fresh install its a disaster of an operating system

17. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    good thing I always disable windows updates and have no issues....

18. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    No problems with Enterprise yet and nothing has yet to be turned back on by any updates.
    Telemetry is still disabled too, according to that O&O app.
    I always do a system back-up anyway, before installing anything, even with Linux!

19. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    in windows update setting you can enable "defer updates" that basically delay or postpone latest updates
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...04e-e7812bc903f6/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

in windows10 user setting basically not preventing windows update, it just delay

well you can disable in services and group policy, to disable it completely
    but again, regarding windows updates its "love and hate"

disabling it make you prone to security holes, aside windows security patch, daily windows defender (if you use it) database also updated with windows update

and there no perfect build, there should some bug/issue with the build you use either it can be a problem to user or not

20. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    Rise Bill Gates Rise

Where are you? we miss you