120hz vs. 144hz

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stojo, May 5, 2013.

1. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Use digital vibrance in nvidia control panel to add some color back.

2. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    Will test settings from ice and try digital vibrance after work. Can not wait to get home.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Also on tn panels reducing gamma is worth checking out (in driver cp)

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They might not, but it's worth a try, which is why I posted.

5. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs

When 120hz TN was the only option, I purchased the 120hz vg278h.

Since then, people started "overclocking" high rez IPS displays to ~120+ hz.
    (135 ish hz was ~max in ideal conditions)

Asus then changed the firmware in their 120hz displays to allow 144hz, basically allowing their displays to report a higher clocked resolution as being available by default.

You can still take the earlier 120hz variants of asus displays, and add a custom resolution in your control panel to take the displays up to 144 hz, as it's just another "overclock".

I've used a number of refresh rates, even above 240hz (CRT @ 1024x768 and under).
    I can tell you that the differences are tangible, but the benefits tend to be logarithmic.

Assuming you're in an FPS where you quick turn a lot:

60 to 75 is noticeable, but not extreme.
    60 to 85 is easy to feel.
    60 to 120 is extremely easy to feel.
    60 to 150 is extremely easy to feel.
    60 to 240 is 'holy crap it feels smooth even when flinging my mouse left/right like mad'.

120 to 150 is noticeable, but not too meaningful.
    120 to 240 is extremely easy to feel. It really is eerily smooth.

I used to care a lot when I was playing a lot of quake, and mine and my computer's performance was 'a big deal' to me.

Today, TBH, I'd rather have the high rez 120hz IPS display, enjoy the better colors and 1440p, and just accept the few milliseconds of pixel latency.

Also, games with very static camera angles hardly matter.

-scheherazade

6. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    What? Ips with overclocked hz to 120?
    Never heared of that.
    I am a fan of smoothness. So i dont think i could live with the slower pixel latency.
    But many thanks for sharing your information.

And you are right. The image quality is fantastic on a good ips.

7. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti

Tried these and it is too dark and unnatural. No settings for me :(

8. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Loving my new Asus VG278HE 144hz screen, its an improvement over the Acer HN274H 120hz i had before

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You can't really get an 120Hz IPS anymore. The special versions of the Catleaps/Overlords that were capable of that now have their prices jacked sky high ($1000+). The other option of buying a regular one and buying a certain PCB to enable it to go that high is also quite expensive, and a lot of the panels will drop dead from using it after like a year.

Also, sorry that those settings didn't work for you. You'll have to play around with it to find something you like.

10. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    Ya, i spent almost hours and hours since yetserday to get an image i can deal with. But i got no luck. Everything i tried was too dark/bright/etc etc.

That makes me really sad. That Asus colours are so ugly, really, i don´t want to watch them.

It was hard to calibrate my Benq 24020, yes. But i did it. And now i am really thinking about to send the Asus back.
    I love the response time, i love the 144hz, but i can´t live with the image.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
  12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Can you get hold of a colorimeter temporarily? Not worth sending a monitor back if it had inaccurate colors out-of-the-box if it can be calibrated, especially if you like how the monitor performs otherwise.

Don't forget to try the ICC profile IcE linked to. It might make a difference if the colors are inaccurate in a pattern across individual models of the same make.

13. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    Thanks. No i can´t get hold of a colorimeter. I tried the icc profile but it makes my monitor toooooo dark. I don´t think its calibrated correctly when i can´t see my enemies is fps games.
    This icc profile and brightness under 50 or 60 makes the image way to dark.
    I had this strange problems with my Benq 2420 too. Every icc profile i loaded was to dark.
    Perhaps just for me?
    Could be right settings, but hard to believe for me someone can play games with that settings or even browse in Internet Explorer. It makes all the colours look greyd out to me.
    Like the sharpness. I am reading everywhere to put the sharpness to 40. No way for me. Everything looks blurry then, can´t read textes or letters easily.
    Had to put it to 50. Here the same, i don´t know how people can read their text putting the sharpness to 40 or less.

Like i said, calibrating the Benq was hard too. But with the Benq i found my colours and my image quality i can live with.

Running now my Asus like this:

Splendid: Theater Mode

Brightness: 85
    Contrast: 70
    Color Temp: User Mode Red 98, Green 96, Blue 93
    Sharpness: 50
    Trace Free: 40

Using your posted icc profile.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I don't understand how you're having brightness problems..my Asus at 50% brightness is basically brighter than the sun. It puts my older 60Hz monitor to shame even when that one is at 80% brightness.

15. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    I will make a photo after work and upload it. Then you can see the colors. Sure,it is not the same like looking at it in real life. But okay for to see the difference.

16. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    Ok tried to take a picture. But the camera can´t take the right colors i have. That makes me really sad.
    I noticed a red tint in your settings. And the brightness .... :(
    Even tried several icc profiles.

17. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs

Yeah, I had the same feeling.

Side by side with the catleap, the asus looks pretty meh.

Actually, the orange-peel finish 24 inch version of the asus looks a lot better than the matte finish 27 inch. They should have kept the original finish.

Don't go crazy about color accuracy.
    Accurate doesn't mean best looking.
    Usually extra contrast and extra chroma will make for prettier images, even though they are less accurate.

You only need accuracy when you're an artist, so that what you see is 'standard'.
    Otherwise you might think the image has more or less color/contrast/whatever than it really does.

-scheherazade

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  18. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    Yes, i am trying to accept these colors.
    I will give myself a week to think about.

The question in this thread was 120 vs 144hz.
    And i can say, the fast response from the Asus and his 144hz feels smoother for me.
    That is the reason why i bought it.

19. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    Yeah more higher refresh rate = better.

It is not always the case, 30FPS capped games looks smoother on 60Hz for example, because there is less frames that are "missing".

But in most cases, especially when you play without vertical synchronization, higher refresh rate is better. When your frame rate is going all over the place, for example 40-300 FPS, transitions with high refresh rate on stable hardware and software should be not noticeable (same or very close to as it is with v-sync).

Ideally, something like 400Hz would be perfect, but over 100Hz do a very good job anyways.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What?