amd or intel

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mb, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    sweet, but i guess not with the stock cooler?

3. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    The stock heat sink and fan aren't good for decent overclocking.

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Never buy a CPU based on performance you hope to get (overclock), buy it based on the performance that you do get out of the box; anything afterwards is extra.

Every CPU overclocks differently (depending on the die itself, stepping, power and cooling), nothing is 100% certain when you step into this territory. So buy based on the i5-3750 vs. FX-8350 performance, not based on what they might turn out to be after an overclock (if successful).

5. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    i've already stated in my op that i won't be interested in overclocking. though i don't mind if it will be super easy to do and won't need after market cooling.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Then the Intel setup is stronger, bar none. Although Chillin is somewhat cherry picking benchmarks, he has a point.

7. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    i would get the best cpu you can afford and wory about the other bits after, like has been sead on here most change gpu and such more often then cpu,

8. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Yes it it when overclocked
    I been playing sleeping dogs on it at work with sli 8800gtx it runs it smooth

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sorry I missed the no OC part in the op in that case the intel out of the box is the better choice.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    with SB/IB 2500k/2600k/3570k/3770k you're pretty much guaranteed 4.5ghz, that's easy. so yeah, you kinda have to account in for an overclock with these chips, same goes for certain AMD FX chips, they simply will clock to a certain degree without breaking a sweat, almost guaranteed.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    of course CPU has impact on performance at 1080p. but the higher the resolution, the higher the diminishing returns you see when it comes to CPU performance. also, it's highly game dependent. but I'm sure you know all that.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I had an oced q6600 with 8800 gtx a couple of years ago. and I remember the shock I got when I upgraded to the 2500k. the q6600 is old now, it just doesn't perform.

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Diminished is nowhere near none.

There are still major performance differences at 1080p. Yes, it's less than at 800x600, but it is still there.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Only in some games, for the vast majority it's not really relevant.

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I disagree, here are some more examples from a different websites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem is the console ports up till now have nearly always been like this:
    [​IMG]

But that's 100% a problem of the game itself not being properly coded by the devs. The games that are properly coded end up looking like the one's I quoted.

16. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    The difference is already quite large now, and what is in 1 or 2 years when the OP decides to upgrade his GPU? After all like many already pointed out, people usually use a CPU longer than a GPU.

And yes, I'm probably somewhat biased as well, because I also love my i5 2500k :smile:

17. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    i've decided stay with intel and get the 3570k. at first i was really unsure hence i've made this thread but after your input it was quite an easy decision :). the reasons being: not wanting overclock - out of the box intel's ahead - and if i somehow change my mind that k version will oc pretty good plus that asrocks board was a great suggestion because it still has mounts for 775 socket which means i can install my current thermalright hr-02 and basically that intel's better for gaming which is what i'll be mainly doing. i've also added an ssd (my first one) so i guess i can expect an great if not huge performance increase :D.

my final list:

thanks again for your help, i knew i could rely on you :)

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Absolutely a solid build, enjoy it.

Of all the things in your new build, the SSD will shock you the most.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Go with 3770K or FX3850, more threads the better, especially in newer titles - one good example is Crysis3 where non HT intel falls behind a lot.

And there will be more games in the near future.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's not all about threads...

I just showed you a Crysis 3 benchmark where the i5-3550 (slower than the 3570k that he's getting) is faster than the FX-8350.

[​IMG]