"MybadOmen's" New NZXT Build ?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by MybadOmen, Sep 8, 2012.

1. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    UPDATE!

"Modding Top of the case (Rad Support) to fit the EK XTX360 & 6 Enermax Cluster Fans"​

Hiya guys i am back with another update ,I know going slow but it will get there. Anyway when i started planning this build which i never really actually plan a build but i did know i wanted an EK XTX360 Rad on Top & the EK XTX240 down Bottom with Push/Pull Enermax Clusters. 6 on top and 4 on Bottom plus my Intake and Exhaust fans of course.

Well after a bit of not thinking of it and working on other things i decided to fit the XTX360 in place (Those not aware its the thickest of the EK line Rads.In this order XT/XTC/XTX) . Seeing my Mass Effect 3 build had the XTC420 up top and is a Switch 810 and the NEW Phantom 820 is the same size and was made for water cooling with holes up top for a 360 or 420 rad i figured i would drop in the XTX 360 with room to spare.

Well when i got the EK XTX360 out of the box and seen how huge it was next to the case i had a feeling i was in for a fun time getting it in. Well right off i bolted it in and it was was to far back and way to low.There was no way possible to get fittings on without some major modding which i went ahead and started.

Its Kind of hard to explain as i forgot to take photos before i went to work but i will try to explain the problem of the Rad fitting.

In this Photo if you look on top of the case the top dips down almost an inch and it is directly centered bringing the Rad to close to the motherboard and rear PCI cutouts of the case.

[​IMG]

Here is just another Photo showing how low the Rad is sitting as well as how close to the motherboard it is not to mention the rear fitting threads are literally sitting on the PCI bracket cutouts of the case.

[​IMG]

Goal of this Mod: To Fit the EK XTX360 up top , To move it forward and a little of an inch forward from the back. Do the Mod without sacrificing the built in Hue lights, Access to to G1/4 Threads on the rad. And of course to keep everything clean looking in the end.

Here is a good shot showing the issue at hand (Sorry found these photos after )

[​IMG]

Ok just the brunt of the work will be in this update the details and making it pretty will come in another when i know all the cutting is done.

Lets Get Started:

First i had to get a new piece of metal ready to make the new Rad support (Raised and Moved) so i got out some i believe 24 gauge sheet metal and went over to once again another antique tool which is still doing its job like the day it was new. (I love working with Old tools)

Old School Sheet Metal Sheer

[​IMG]

This shot is showing what has to go. Its just not happening for me.

[​IMG]

And next for the Not so old school tools. I love Using the Plasma cutter the thing is the bomb.I am now cutting out the area i showed in the photo above with the white square.

[​IMG]

Next was time to take out the RotoZip with the angle head attachment which is one of my favorite modding tools and remove the paint that's in the area i will be spot welding. (Another tool i haven't got to play with much)For case modding its ideal compared to welding in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Here is the new Rad top being welded together using the Spot welder /Tack Welder or whatever you know it as, I circled it for those that dont know what a spot welder is. This is a 220volt one but you can also get a smaller 110 one also.

[​IMG]

Well like i said this update will just be the brunt part of the work. Cleaning it up and cutting out slots for better airflow around the fans is next as well as painting etc. All part of a Process and want to just get what i can while i have the use of these great tools for the day.

As you can see crude but in the end will serve the purpose perfect and be awesome.

[​IMG]

Here you can see i have it marked out for more cutting and Dremel work when i get home. I will also smooth it out more and use a filler of some sort to make it look factory when finished.

[​IMG]

Smoothed a out a little more as i had a little extra time and worked on straightening the inside edge a bit more.

[​IMG]

And Last thing for this update as its getting late and i also did some other fun stuff during the day is to Punch out the 2 holes i need for the rad ports . Just in case i need them.I used a small Knock out tool to do it. You may have seen Bill Owen use the large one for Punching through cases to put in 120mm fans etc in some of his videos.

[​IMG]

New Update soon showing the top all finished.

Hope you enjoyed the Update and thank you for watching

MybadOmen

2. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Very nice, MybadOmen.

Please sir, can I have some more? Look forward to the next update.

3. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    Update

Hiya Guys again,

Well if you look at the last update you can see we left off with a New top for my Phantom 820 Legion build making many changes to comfortably fir an EK XTX360 Rad with 6 Enermax Cluster Fans.

Ok so the job was done but it was very crude cut and it was def not optimized for airflow and that's where this update comes in.

Here you can see the basic shape is there but still a mess to deal with. Plus if i bolt a rad on the way it is it will restrict at least 25% or more of the airflow from the Fans.

[​IMG]

So i grabbed one of my Dremel's and of course my awesome Smith & Wesson Safety Glasses from Mnpctech and got to work.

[​IMG]

And after a little time with the Dremel its time to dig out my beat up files and do some hand filing. (Probably not necessary but im pretty picky)

[​IMG]

Now you can see why it was so important i did all that Dremel and filing work. If you look now all of the Fans power will be pushing and Pulling air through the Top rad. Cluster Fans from Enermax are powerful yes but also pretty silent when they run but they def push allot of airflow.

[​IMG]

As you can see from this Photo i went from not being able to even fit the rad or get to the fittings to now fit the Rad with 6 Fans and plenty of room to get to the fittings. And yet the Hue lighting is still there also.

[​IMG]

Next it was time to try to weld around the rim where the metal was cut to make it look a little better and for a little more strength . Si i grabbed my Mig on low power and tried doing my best to fill the holes from the metal we used which was scrap and tried to fill the cap between the 2 metals to later smooth out.

Me Ready to go !

[​IMG]

This is what i am stuck with unless i use body filler which since this will never be seen i dont want body filler in my PC where it will crack when moving it. (Might add something to make it cleaner later because even though its not seen its still bugging me.

By looking at the Photo you can also see how much its moved to the right and forward.

[​IMG]

Photo from Underneath :

[​IMG]

And Rad sitting in place (Not tight) but there for measurements.

[​IMG]

And that's it for this update guys still tons to do Modding the 5.25 bays will probably be next for better airflow of the bottom front fan.

Until Next Update Take care and Thank You for Looking and all your Support.
    [B
    MybadOmen[/B]

4. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    Progress to date on "Legion" will try to add more photos of the actually Using the tools etc soon. It still has to come apart a few more times before starting the theme. But i have a vision of it now and i am on a roll.

Hope you like were its heading:

[​IMG]

5. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Looking great so far man. The inside of the Phantom is built a lot like my Panzerbox and looking at all the work you've put into it so far makes me feel inadequate. :)

Best of luck to you! If it's anything like your past works it will no doubt look amazing in the end. :thumbup:

6. Syidi

Syidi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780
    lot's of work but the end product is astonishing...! great work

7. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    UPDATE!

After a while i realised something about the build didnt seem right to me and i couldnt put my finger on it but it drove me crazy.So what did i do? I tore it all the way back down again including the Rivets.

First off i decided there wasn't enough white inside for what i am aiming for yet i didnt want any white paint on the back off the case or anywhere on the ouside besides where i intend to put it. So first step was wash the whole case (In my Tub) with dawn Dish soap then put it outside to dry in the sun. I thing sanded the whole inside by hand with a 500 grit sandpaper since the paint i will be using has its own built in adhesion promoter i don't have to go down any more course then 500.I then washed the case again and set it out to dry again.

Here is what i had after tearing Legion back down:

[​IMG]

First thing i did was used some nice Vinyl masking i have that works way better then masking tape for getting in tight places etc.

[​IMG]

After using a squeegee and making sure no paint could get through the masking in the back i finished masking the rest i didn't want painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next for Painting the Case, I said earlier in the logs i would not be using my Paint guns on this build as there really is no need to so i will be using Krylon Fusion White paint which is the only paint i now use when not using my guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Painting you can see how good of a job the Vinyl Masking does:

[​IMG]

I also drilled the rivets out on the back motherboard tray and the PCI I/O Shield holder sorry forgot the name right this second but the part you screw your GPUs etc to on the motherboard and the I/O cover sits in.Anyway i painted that as well and its time to put it back in without scratching any paint. To do that simply put masking tape over the tip of your Rivet gun and poke a hole through to place the rivets. This way if you slip you are allot more protected but still try not to slip ..lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    Next i was weary about messing with my Motherboard and Voiding the warranty as almost everything i have the warranties have been voided and these Motherboards are not cheap. But i said screw it and started to work on the Motherboard.

Removing the Mosfet Heatsink: (and as you can see the EK block bracket has been painted white as well)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naked Mosfets:

[​IMG]

Now prepping for Paint (all i did here was washed them down good with a 70% alcohol and masked what i didnt want painted off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now for the Chipset Cooler:

[​IMG]

and of course since this is Pron , the naked Chipset of the Asus Rampage Formula IV X79:

[​IMG]

Same goes for the Chip set cooler but first i had to get the Asus aluminum plate off which sorry i forgot to take photos of. But this is how i did it. To remove the Asus Plate i used a heat gun and a razor hobby knife and carefully heated the plates while sliding the knife under the glue itself to try to keep the glue intact.You have to be very careful and take your time or you will bend the Aluminum plate.pretty basic though really if you ever modded anything.

Here is the Chipset cooler all masked yet again only where i want the paint is showing.

[​IMG]

You might be asking what i painted the mosfet and chipset cooler with as i seen the question asked many times before, Or you might be asking if it will lose its heat transferring capabilities do to the paint. The answer is will i with this method no. But yes paint can def interfere with cooling capabilities of a heat sink if 1) Its the wrong kind of paint 2) Its sprayed to thick 3) I also believe a shiny gloss paint can also have a bad effect even if only be a few degrees tops.

Anyway here is what i used and why. Krylon High Heat & Radiator Paint is the paint i chose for this project and the reason was because its semi flat but still looks bright white even using very little paint on the coolers, Plus it can run 600 degrees F forever of it can even handle temps of 1200F for short periods of time. So to me it was a no brainer and the perfect paint for the job. oh yeah and one other reason is a non gloss paint tends to breathe better or be more porous then a gloss would. Ok back to the photos :)

[​IMG]

Painted Mosfet cooler:

[​IMG]

Painted Chipset Cooler:

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u608/primochill/Phantom 820 Legion/IMG_0492_zps60d78411.jpg

Motherboard back together: (used ICDiamond for TIM if anyone was wondering)

[​IMG]

And some Final shots of what i have done so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like it still tons to do but im starting to be happier with it now.

Take Care and keep Modding guys,
    MybadOmen

9. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    Tiny Update:

Not a Huge update but just something i am happy to have been able to get the parts to make. Here is the Custom Primochill Vortex Flow Indicator going into Legion. Like i said nothing huge its just a stock Vortex that i had the company make me a chrome/mirrored wheel and new white back plate for.Also if you look close you can see Primochill's brand new Revolver series Rigid Compression fittings which i had the pleasure of getting first before they were sent out to resellers.Huge Thanks to Primochill for their support on this build and hope you guys like this tiny update.

Just had to share it as i think it came out beautiful. (Bunch of different views)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like the Photos and i will post some more soon as i got a bunch of new parts to get some more sleeving and making cables up done. Plus some other modding materials i want to keep secret until those updates come.Seeing camp is over in a couple weeks for the winter you'll be seeing allot more of me soon.

Take Care My Friends and Keep Modding,

MybadOmen

10. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    That is sick dude! Nice work!

11. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    Update!

This Update i would like to Thank Crucial for coming on board and helping to make this build possible by their Sponsorship of 2 Crucial 240Gig SSD's for me to Mod and run Raid 0 Striped in Legion for superior performance when shes finished.I have always loved Crucial Products not only for their blazing fast yet reliable SSD's but also for their Great Ram! (Also like to Thank Primochill for use of their New Wet Bench to Benchmark these Drives for you guys.

Huge Thanks to Crucial !
    [​IMG]
    http://www.crucial.com/store/ssd.aspx

First off i would like to say the M500 Series SSD's are just as fast as they say they are but i find it incredible you can get from 120Gig drive all the way to a 940Gig! And at a reasonable price to top it all off.

Anyway my point isn't to advertize the SSD's but rather to show you them and the benchmarks and explain how i will be Modding them. (As much as possible at this point in time)

Here is What Arrived from Crucial for the Legion Build:

[​IMG]

Here is the Bench i will be Benchmarking on.

[​IMG]

First i will show you the drives ,then give you the bench Specs and lastly the benchmarks.

Opening the M500 box you dont find much beyond a Quality SSD:

[​IMG]

And a spacer to make the 7mm SSD fit in a 9.5mm space.

[​IMG]

And that's about it for whats in the box. (A sticker would of been cool but performance and reliable are all i care about)

Next i mount the M500's on the Wet Bench and get ready to start benching:

[​IMG]

And here is the setup i will be using for these benchmarks today:

[​IMG]

I have no need to drop GPU's on the setup and i swapped the ram out from whats in the photo.Which i will explain in the Specs.

Test Bench Setup for the Crucial M500 Benchmarks Running Raid 0 Striped.

Test Bench: Primochill Wet Bench white/white
    Cpu: Intel i5-4670k @ 4.5Ghz 1.34v
    Motherboard: MSI G-45 Z87 Gaming Board 1150 Socket.
    Memory: 8 Gigs Xtreme Team 2400 Mhz C10
    Drives: 2 Crucial 240Gig M500 SSD's Raid 0 Striped.
    PSU: Cougar 850 watt
    Random Watercooling

And to save on Picture space i added all Benchmarks in 1 Photo:

[​IMG]

As you can See in Atto the drives easy Break 1,000Mbs Read and all other tests show the drives to be pretty much close across the boards just showing that these drives do perform extremely well.Also installing in Windows 7 64bit was a walk in the park.

For any of those Interested i also added the Windows Experience Index score for you as well:

[​IMG]

The Modding Part: These drives will be Modded in White and Chrome yet still carry the Crucial M500 name on them when done.

Thank You for watching this update and the benchmarks and keep an eye out for the actual Modding of the SSD's to come shortly.

MybadOmen

12. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Looking forward to the finished results it will look awesome :)

13. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    UPDATE !

Hiya guys,

In this Update i am going to be Hard Tubing "LEGION" using Primochill's New Rigid Tubing and i was also lucky enough to get my hands on some of their New Nickel Revolver Series Rigid Fittings before they are released.

I will also be showing you how to bend the tubing easily using the method that Primochill provides by using a Heat Gun and Primochill's Bending Silicone, A cool little hobby saw i have and a Homemade Jig and don't forget the Olive oil (Seriously).

Ok Lets get started with this Update First off here is the 1/2"OD Primochill Clear Rigid Tubing i will be using (Comes in many colors but i wanted clear for this build)

Type i am using in Legion:

[​IMG]

And other colors available:

[​IMG]

Also here are the New Revolver Series Rigid Fittings by Primochill in Nickel i will be using.

[​IMG]

Here i will try to explain a simple yet productive Bending Jig i made from an old piece of scrap wood in my backyard,A few sockets and nuts ,bolts and washers to fit through them all. Simply drill holes in a bunch of places using a Square ,Protractor or just place the holes any place you like to make whatever angles you want. Nice thing is you can always drill more holes later for even more bends. But figured this was a simple design anyone could build so i went this route rather then pulling welders etc out.

[​IMG]

Next here is the silicone that is a must for making crazy bends and Primochill sells it through most resellers (It comes in different colors either Orange/Black/Grey) but its all the same thing.And here is where you need the olive oil as well and some 1 dollar cheap gardening gloves so you don't burn your hands.

Simply Dip the tip of the silicone into the olive oil and slide it into the Rigid Tube paste the point you want to bend. (To get the little oil out of the tube after simply use Dawn dish soap)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the tube is ready with Silicone inside and gloves on use your Heat gun and slowly heat in the area you want to bend until the tubing becomes almost as flexible as the Silicone itself . It really is amazing how flexible it gets. Also at this point when bending dont push hard against anything or it will leave a mark in the Rigid when cooled .Basically the trick is slow and easy the whole time.

[​IMG]

And here is an example of the bends and don't worry about the excess as we will be cutting that to the correct size soon.

[​IMG]

And the 2 Bends i need for the CPU to Ram blocks:

[​IMG]

Now its time for Cutting and you can use just about any kind of saw to cut the Rigid .I have the ultimate little saw that is perfect for it that can be bought at Harbor Frieght for short money but i have used Dremels and Scroll saws as well.Here are a few option but there are many more.

My Favorite saw for Rigid:

[​IMG]

Also scroll saw works great , just file and sand the edge after:

[​IMG]

And of course what most will have handy is a Dremel and a file or some sandpaper .You can achieve that same results with.

[​IMG]

14. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    Ok now that i Bent and cut the Rigid to size i start assembling it and remember these are compression fittings so they hold in very tight with no worries at all.

[​IMG]

And now for the other Ram Block:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after more Bending etc and also don't get me wrong i had some scrap from trying different routing but here is what i ended up with so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that's all i have for today guys i hope you like the Update, I still have some really cool updates coming when it gets to working on the Theme of the build so i am very excited now and hope you guys are as well.

Take Care all and Keep Modding,
    MybadOmen

15. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    Update!

This is rather a small but pretty cool update and Mod but i figured i would add it now before i forget and it gets missed.

A plain old SLI Bridge wasnt going to cut it after i got my 680's all dressed up so something a little more flashy that also gave thanks to NVIDIA for sponsoring me at the same time,So this is what i did.

First i got a Sheet of Mod/Smart Chrome/Mirrored cast acrylic which is another company that sponsors my work. Here is that Sheet.

[​IMG]

Next i marked it out and to the size i needed and cut it. After cutting i then filed and sanded on a flat surface to get the cut edges straight as possible and rounded the corners a bit.

[​IMG]

So here is the Bridge i will be Modding as its boring as hell and the Raw cut piece of mirrored acrylic with the protective layer still on.

[​IMG]

Next i grab a 2 part epoxy that i use all the time. You can but this at about any hardware or auto store and it also comes in black and white as well but i prefer the clear and use it on all my mods and other projects. (Its super strong and dries fast) I also used a cheap brush with the bristles cut down and just a coffee can lid.Anything can be used instead.

[​IMG]

Next you want to make sure you have a 50:50 Mixture of the 2 part epoxy.

[​IMG]

Make sure to mix the epoxy very good as if you have any that didn't get mixed ,then it will not dry.

[​IMG]

Next i put some epoxy on the bridge more like in globs at different points of the bridge yet not to close. What you want to happen is to make sure you def have the epoxy touching both objects yet not to much that it all comes squirting out when you put the 2 objects together. Also after centering wait a few minutes and recenter if it moves within the first couple minutes.

[​IMG]

While that was Drying i went into Corel Draw and made an Nvidia logo that i liked and though would look good on the Bridge. Here is the Logo i came up with . Very simple yet very nice. (It wont be black ,black is just a base color i use for my plotter)

[​IMG]

And after running the new drawing through my Plotter, weeding out the vinyl i dont want and adding transfer tape this is what a Vinyl Decal looks like.Btw i was very pleased with the results

[​IMG]

Next i simply peeled off the backing of my new decal and centered it on the Bridge,Used a squeegee to make sure it stays forever ,And finally the Custom SLI Bridge is all ready to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last what it looks like in the build so far although there is still a ton of work to be done inside Legion still before it all comes together.

[​IMG]

I know it was a short update but i really hope you guys enjoyed it.

Take Care and Keep on Modding,

MybadOmen

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    When your build is finished what happens to it? Do you have to send the parts back or do you just have a collection of badass rigs ?

17. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    No anything Sponsored i keep but most of my sponsors sponsor all my work current and future. If a company pays me to do a Custom Mod for them then in that case i would be handing over the build but i also give companies the option to take the Build to shows or to advertise with them as they like.Legion will be different as it will be my personal build.I am actually building Legion to the way i would want it.

Hope that helps.

Small Update Incoming.

18. MybadOmen

MybadOmen Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD6970 2Gig
    Update:

Hiya Fellow Modders,

Again another small update just so i don't forget to log it,Unfortunately i broke the blade on my ancient scroll saw and have to wait to find new blades which is a bummer at the moment. My scroll saw is ancient but was built amazing way back then compared to those they sell today as it not only holds the blade straight and from walking it also adjusts down to hold the part your cutting in place.It really is very nice even though its ancient. But ets move on to the Log now.

First off for those Interested here is my Ancient Homecraft Scroll Saw:

[​IMG]

Ok and now for the beginning of the Mod i am working on right now.

I start with some white acrylic like i used on the motherboard tray and mark it out to the size i need using a square to make sure its perfect (Paper on the acrylic is just the protective layer) :

[​IMG]

And now drawing out angles on both covers so hey are all perfectly even.

[​IMG]

And what they look like after cutting the edges :

[​IMG]

Next i drill 2 holes in each cover 1/4" from the edge on the covers and the motherboard tray.This will be to make them removable.

[​IMG]

And Finally here is what they will look like in place but they are shiny white acrylic with chrome knurled rounded nuts ,I still need to make the cutouts going on the covers but i want to keep that secret until that update. But for now enjoy these Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a sneak peak at the other Mods for the build i am working on a the same time.This will also be a complete update so just a sneak peek for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like i said it was a small update but i still don't want you guys to miss anything as i try to share he complete experience of the build process with you.

Until next Update Take Care and Keep Modding,

MybadOmen

19. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Wow, you lucky son of a gun. Gotta say i still think the mass effect build you did is my fav pc ive ever seen.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Looking great :D

Im going to get myself one of those Phantom 820 cases, got the lexa blackline at the minute (which i love), but to fit bigger gfx cards in (custom ones), id need to cut the bottom of the HDD cage out, so instead of doing that, im just gona get a new case, and i like the looks of the Phantom, got good reviews :cool: