HD 7990 + HD 7970 for Tri-Fire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by BIGGRIMTIM, Sep 11, 2013.

1. BIGGRIMTIM

BIGGRIMTIM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
    With Battlefield 4 coming out soon I am looking for an effective way to upgrade. I am running 3 Dell U2410's in Eyefinity. Should I sell one of my HD 7970's and pick up a HD 7990? Now that the prices are reasonable, I am curious about Tri-Fire? BF3 runs great on my current setup. Am I asking for trouble?

Thanks.

2. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Well, considering your setup your cpu is already bottlenecking 2 7970s and you really need asking about making tri-fire? AMD cpu is catastrophe for more than 1 gpu, i suggest you keeping your 2 cards and prey for smoothness. :)

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If You want it for BF4, then wait for BF4 to get real data for released version of BF4, not alpha, not beta.

Then you may decide to get R9-285/HD9970 instead as it will be likely bundled with BF4.

If you play on 60Hz display then your CPU is not bottlenecking you in any current game not even in BF3 MP for 64 players.

And BF4 is AMD title, therefore till you get confirmed that your CPU is no go for it, consider it as very good choice. Especially with Windows 8 in which have FX processors bit better performance than in Win 7.

I would advise against 3fire/4fire as it sometimes faces negative scaling.
    If you can't wait then I would add 2nd HD7970 as it is more cost effective solution than selling HD7970 and getting new HD7990.

And 2 separate cards promises higher OC.

4. BIGGRIMTIM

BIGGRIMTIM Guest

GPU:

Thanks for the advise, I am already running HD 7970's in crossfire. I will probably just wait and see. I didn't think my CPU was creating a bottleneck. I can't believe AMD would sell a CPU that would cause that sort of issue with their own GPU's. BF3 runs great for me.

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    your cpu is fine man dual core based games will function better on intel but as the next gen consoles come out I think you will be fine.

6. BIGGRIMTIM

BIGGRIMTIM Guest

GPU:
    Thanks, I thought it was. I will report back in a few days. a friend of mine just got a HD 7990 and is going to let me test it out. What about my system RAM should I go to 16GB?

7. TK3600

TK3600 Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD 7950 3GB
    RAM is barely a bottleneck for anyone. That being said, BF4 can probably hit beyond 8 GB with your setup. RAM is compitable with all computer, so I don't see why not get one. Even if 8 GB is enough for BF4, 16 GB is good for future proof. You can't go wrong for having more RAM, go for the 16 GB.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Considering that with BF3 they cut out DX9 support it is quite possible that now they will cut 32bit support (alpha is 64bit only).

It is reasonable to believe game will use advantage of 64bit code not only for better performance while computing stuff, but it will likely allocate more memory.

9. BIGGRIMTIM

BIGGRIMTIM Guest

GPU:
    I didn't know the game was going to be 64bit. It’s about time they started to move that way. I will definitely get more memory then.

Thanks