Upcoming driver has huge performance improvements

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jaju123, Mar 22, 2014.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And yet there are no results for it in this chart lol.. Seeing is believing :grin:

[​IMG]

Although those Draw, vertex & index buffer speedups look interesting.

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You missed a chart:
    [​IMG]

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Ugh,I hate misleading graphs like that Thief one. It looks like a 20% jump from 290x to 780Ti new, when it's really 55 fps vs 59 fps. Star swarm is impressive though.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I see, so ~ 4fps boost in Thief and ~10fps boost in starswarm vs r334.. Not bad

I hope its a smooth driver without any bs jitter/hickup etc.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm so looking forward to it though. IMO, I can't help but say it, this makes AMD look bad. They obviously knew about DX12 and and now these new DX11 improvements in drivers, and tried to steal the spot light with Mantle. Then try to make it look like they are the ones that started this trend and everyone else is just copying. Am I supposed to believe that mere months after Mantle comes out for one game, DX12 and these drivers where made in that brief time? Lol, ok.

6. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    Hopefully this helps my 660 while I wait for maxwell.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Nonsense all this can and will be attributed to mantle as well as the cure to all cancers. Credit where credit is due:wanker:

8. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Lol, yeah, some people and shills would have you believe that. :puke2:

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No, Mantle did speed up the process a bit.

Anyhow I wonder if it will affect all DX api cpu bound games, or is this only dx11 driver speedup?

Those index, vertex buffers and especially draw calls stalling are used in lower Dx apis as well, so it should make some huge improvements there too no?
    ie The secret world even if dx11 its still one lag fest, Rift and other Role Playing mmos, Crysis1, HardReset, Resident Evil series (esp. Raccon City),..

10. ArtemB1988

ArtemB1988 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R7 Series
    I recently bought Maxwell first gen, GeForce 750

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

would be nice alot games still use DX9 but it microsoft

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    agree would be awesome if it affected all dx9, dx10 games :D

I think its only up to nvidia to improve driver code they way they did now, probably r340 branch by the looks of it.

just checked that slide again and its just driver specific api improvements.

Actually that StarSwarm is a very good example by dx11 driver code (r331 vs r340? 22fps diff.),

13. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 5600 XT
    that 4 fps gaaaaain man such massive such improvement who needs dx12

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have no clue why those morons do not update it to DX11. It would be so much better for mmos.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  15. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    The 750 is slower then my 660. I am talking about the 800 series.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I can't remember the last time i saw a DX9 only game, but in general stay away from PC only games as those are the ones that tend to be DX9 only.

Reading this article it all sounds to good to be true, curious why it took them until now to do this?
    Was it difficult, or were they waiting until they had a competitor with Mantle?

Also curious of the claims that AMD were able to implement Mantle like performance improvements in DX, but chose to create a new api to help sell GPU's.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Simple answer to that is its EA. Long drawn out answer is its still EA they just milking the game since f2p and cartel market there has been very lil if any performance enhancement since f2p but they have made it run worse and worse as time goes by

Would love it if it was DX11 as it would actual help with the poor and or butchering they did to the hero engine

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Last i looked EA were supporting more DX11 games than anyone else, so it's clearly not that.

It makes no sense to gimp performance on MMO's, even my wife has been talking about how The Sims 4 is supposed to be better optimised and those sort of games are what make up most of PC gaming revenues.

It makes sense from a business point of view to maximise the market, but if changing the engine is alot of work then i can understand why they wont bother.

19. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    A driver update can't fix a bad game engine.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no but those increased efficient to draw and all those command they talking about in the confernce they few weeks back would help especial if it works for ALL DX verison 9-10-11-12 etc will help alleviate the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCeNzgiJ8I

what there doing here could just as well work for DX but if MS has say in it problably not they have this thing about make newer DX version OS specfic as means to push sales for OS

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014