MSI X370 Gaming PLus motherboard and ddr4 3200 ram issues!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by dudecat64, Jul 16, 2017.

1. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Ok i have a MSI X370 board and newest bios and i still can't get my GSKILL F4-3200C16D-16GVGB memory to run at 3200 speeds. IT running now at 2400 speeds. Neither company could help me when i called them on this issue. MSI said come to a forum like this and seek advice which i am. Anyone got any idea's? I love this board with my rezen 1700 octo-core.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Based on the model of ram you have i'm 99% sure they are Hynix dual sided memory wish are a little harder to get to DDR4-3200Mhz but it's not impossible.

Please read this thread to get acquainted with the Ryzen platform and overclocking Ram ( http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=412876 ) , that will give you an idea where to start. I will try to help you. I need you to provide me with this information.

1. Download Thaiphoon Burner from here: http://www.softnology.biz/files.html , run the program and post a screenshot of the spd of your memory , that way we can make sure what type of ram you are running ( hynix or samsung , single rank or dual rank ) and what type of chips it is using.

2. Download CPU-Z from here: ( http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html ) open the program and open the spd tab , take a screenshoot and post it in here.

3. Are you overclocking the cpu ? What type of cooling are you using ? What type of voltages are you using on the bios for the cpu , load line calibration , Ram voltage , Ram boot voltage and SOC voltage ?

4. What have you done and tried to get your Ram to DDR4-3200Mhz ?

In order for me to be able to help you i need all that information :thumbup: , let's try to get your ram running at better speeds and will try to shoot for 3200Mhz.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Everything is stock in bios and running on air cooled (stock).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Grr stupid photobucket.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hmmmm... cannot see the images :/ , we are going to try adding some volts once you get the pictures working on the host

That's why i stopped using phototbucket long time ago :( , try tini pic or drop box.

6. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have tried everything like enabling the extreme memory setting which auto sets the memory to 3200 but that failed. Thanks for the tinypic idea. Works great.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks for the information and screenshots. You got Hynix MFR Dual sided memory wish it is harder to tweak on my own experience with such memory.

Let's try DDR4-2666 first , Dram voltage 1.40v~1.45v , Dram boot voltage same 1.40v~1.45v , timings 16-18-18-18-42 2T everything else on auto. SOC at 1.15v and report back.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You made need to ramp the speeds.

To do this:
    1. ideally clear the CMOS
    2. when the computer boots, enter bios
    3. set the RAM speed to the next option (most likely 2400), DRAM voltage to 1.37 V, and SOC to 1.08 V
    4. reboot
    5. set the speed to the next highest, AND then set the XMP profile with the toggle at the top of the screen
    6. reboot
    7. repeat the process, each time ramping the DRAM speed, setting the XMP profile afterwards, and make sure the DRAM voltage is 1.37 V
    8. when you reach the limit where it won't boot, go back to the last setting
    9. go back to the last speed setting, and start on your timings
    10. don't go crazy with the timings, set sensible figures

For gear down and CR1, if your speed is to high obviously CR1 will be too low. However, since you aren't able to do say, 3466 or higher, then you can try to get CR1 for better performance. Depending on the speed, you may need to do the following. If you can manage to set CR1 with geardown enabled, reboot, and the computer should update the DMI pool and appear to reboot itself. When it does, re-enter the bios and disable gear down. This may allow you to have CR1 with geardown disabled, which will give better performance. Do NOT disable geardown without at least the DMI pool updating, for some reason it's much easier to disable it after the pool is updated.

Remember to set the XMP profile and the RAM speed. It seems to help over setting the same say, 15-15-15-36 yourself, probably because of a subtiming. Also do not do excessive DRAM or SOC voltage. Setting 1.4 V on the RAM and 1.2 V on the SOC may let you go a little higher, but it's probably more indicative that apart from bios memory compatibility, one of the subtimings is set too tight. Higher voltages helps with over-enthusiastic timings for the current RAM compatibility.

I recommend 1.08 V SOC and 1.37 V DRAM maximum because it should be safe for long term use. The rebooting is required with the ramping for the memory training to do its thing. This may not be completely accurate in how it works, but it works so why should I argue?!

I actually did the ramping unintentionally when I went to 3333 CR1 myself, which is probably why I got to 3333 CR1 geardown disabled with the voltages as described. I can actually go lower on the voltages but considering they are possibly needed if speed capability improves with future AGESA I'll keep them there.

Stability. Yes, 100 percent stabile. Since my last boot a couple of days ago I immediately started a large batch of two video encodes parallel (to max out CPU use) with complex processing script, encoder settings etc continuously. Video encoding is memory intensive. I've also concurrently surfed the web, watched videos on a connected TV (with madVR, quality settings etc), and done other things with zero issues. BTW mine is a 24/7 system.

9. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    ok tried and still nothing more then 2400. This motherboard must not be able to support hynix ram at the speeds it meant to run at.

10. RedDracoNL

RedDracoNL Member

GPU:
    GV-N970G1 1600/7500
    Hee Dudecat64,

I got my memory running @ 3200 by setting XMP and then i have to set tRFC1 tRFC2 tRFC4 and RRDS-FAW manually check your XMP profile for what it should be. hope it helps.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    What Bios are you on? I have the same board and similar CL 16 3200 G.Skill(CL 16 G.skill is apparently all Hynix) I was able to get 4 sticks to boot out of the box at 2667 and with the latest 5.41 beta bios I have it at 2800 with 14-15-15-15 timings CR 1 gear down off.

I've not tried to see what speed I could reach with only 2 sticks but the newer bios is working a lot better.

12. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    I will have to find the beta one as mine was the last official one.

13. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Ok so mine is updated to the latest available from msi right now.

14. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Did it help your ram speeds?

15. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Nope. Still stuck at 2400.

16. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    So you should be on BIOS 7A33v53? And be able to use one of the X-AMP profiles listed. As thatguy91 suggested clear CMOS etc. If that fails, and everything else does (or has) maybe sell that RAM and buy a different brand. you shouldn't lose to much money and may get your sanity back.

My GSkill 2800 was stuck at 2400 until the latest AGESA 1006 BIOS update but now it runs fine at 2800.

Good luck :)

17. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    yep still can't get it to boot higher then 2400. I will keep trying to get it to boot higher with different timings and see if i can get anything higher stable.

18. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Ok ran 3dmark11 due to running 5850 while waiting for my 2nd replacement 380 and all is good at 2667. So i will let the system run for about a week and see if anything weird happens. IF not i will try and shoot for 3000.