Ryzen 7 or the 7700k?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by IhatebeingAcop, Mar 8, 2017.

1. pedromr2

pedromr2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro OC+
    Guys,

What do you think of this configuration,i want your taughts on this:

AMD RYZEN 7 1700X
    ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO AURA
    G.SKILL PC4-25600 3200MHZ 16GB FLARE X SERIES (AMD) CL14 (2X8GB) BLACK DDR4
    CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H100I V2 EXTREME

I will use from my previous build the following components do you think i should change it:

PSU CORSAIR TX650 V2
    AMD FURY NITRO

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    You can get a 1700 instead of the X, and put the extra money into a better GPU or even faster RAM 3600 CL16.

I would wait for Vega to come out before considering changing the GPU.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup -> and you are ready to go :thumbup:

I can tell you one thing -> it's Really Great to have 8/16 (that fast SC + MC)
    RAM is good but not best -> try to pick GSkill 3600 CL14 :D (if you can)

4. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Well I sold my skylake months ago . I was reading my tea leaves at the bottom of my cup and saw the future - Ryzen

So on friday my 1700 cpu and asus micro prime board will be here . I will give results later. Will i cry if it does not reach 4000, nah! In a real world I could not spot the difference between 3800 and 4000.

I am so excited :banana:

5. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    7700k is the crown of the old architecture. Ryzen is a new baby, born to grow up in the future. If Ryzen is enough to play today, it's a better investment.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Agree. But ultimately, all these chips are more than my general usage needs. Performance of both is superfluous to me. My only criteria for an upgrade is to have a more up to date platform, better motherboard features, ports, connectivity, etc. Intel based boards at this point in time seem far more solid, mature and no teething problems. When the future arrives, I'll be happy to switch to Ryzen 2. Or sooner if I develop an over-powering fetish for content creation and unzipping 20gb archives on a daily basis.

7. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Completely agree and ryzen is enough to play games, yes you get higher fps on some Intel chips like the 7700 but are the fps poor on ryzen gaming benchmarks, no they're not.

I will be swapping my 6700k system over to a ryzen setup at some point, just waiting for better support for faster ram speeds.

8. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    now i have had my new ryzen setup for a couple of weeks and with the parts used with bios f6 my system is running so smoothly - no regrets leaving skylake

9. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Hello Guys

I am actually also thinking of Upgrading my current I7 4790k to something better. Since I am mainly doing Games Development I Need a lot of CPU Power and Ram.

I Play only on 4K with Games such as Shooters (BF1, Ark, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Watch Dogs2) , Strategy (Ashes of Singularity, Anno 2070, Halo Wars II) and Simulations (Elite Dangerous, Farming Simulator 2017).

Also I own a HTC Vive and Play Elite Dangerous through my Vive, which is mainly GPU and CPU intense.

So..I am either thinking of going with the Intel 2011 V3 from my current 1150 Plattform, or straight with the I7 7700k or wait for the I7 8000k, or even the AMD 1800X.

However with AMD Comes the question which Motherboard to buy, Ram that works the best.

So I Need CPU Power for my Games Development and also CPU / GPU Power for my 4K Games and VR Experience.

Which one to get? What would make the most sense?

Cheers

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    For gaming development and gaming at 4K I think Ryzen is the clear best choice.

11. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Thanks for your Feedback. I guess I will have to wait still a bit considering the current issues with the Performance and Bugs the new am4 platform still has.
    I Need a stable System at home and I believe it will still take a couple of months for it to mature.

Besides there are not many good Motherboard choices right now, I would only consider either a ASUS or MSI Board. I Need 2x M.2 and 2 SSD Connections plus 32GB of low latency and high clocked ram, and from my readings the choice of Ram is really something not quite set in Stone yet.

Not an easy Decision tbh.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Going for 2x16gb 3200mhz trident z ram would be best choice currently being samsung b-die and for motherboard asus hero 6 and MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM. Of those two I know asus hero 6 would play nice with 3200mhz 32gb but does not have 2x m.2. While I have no personal experience on xpower gaming titanium I think it would fit your bill better.

Else the platform is really solid, I think the biggest issue being that only samsung b-die ram is working as it should. Of course there are small things here and there but in general it's stable and solid platform.

As in it is stable for me with my crappy hynix ram running 2666 16-15-15-30
    and cpu 4ghz with 8 hdds, 1 sdd and 1 m.2.

As a dev myself I would easily go ryzen route again. Or 6900k but that would not have an upgrade path.

13. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Thanks for your detailed Feedback. I do have those 2x16GB 3200mhz G.Skill Trident Z Ram on my whishlist actually ever since they came out actually :)

My biggest concern is less 4K & VR Gaming Performance then on my I7 4790K with those AMD Ryzen 7 Processors. In Gaming I don't want a downgrade.
    If I would choose, then it would be the 1800X, with a Noctua NH-D15 AM4 Cooler.

Since I work a lot with 4K and 6K Textures and doing Test Builds in my Game Development, my CPU is here clearly the Bottleneck and could benefit from more cores.

The 6900K will soon be replaced anyway be the Skylake-X CPU and a new X299 Chipset. Which means a new Board and CPU, the cost for the new LGA-2066 Platform will for sure come with a hefty Pricetag.

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    In regards of 4K and VR gaming you would be either gaining or staying roughly the same on the experience part. Not downgrading. I know I got an upgrade going from 3770k @ 4.2ghz to my 4ghz 1800x I play on 1440p I gained in quite a few games. Biggest gains were tho in Overwatch where I play all low for maximum fps. Noctua should be fine keeping temps in check on 4ghz all cores. I got h110i myself to cool the cpu and it idles 33 celsius with all cores 4ghz all the time with voltage locked to 1.35v

Max temps are 45-60 depending on work load.

I mostly work with compiling code which saw a huge boost. Also I could now virtualise way more stuff. And from reviews I've seen for example blender should see a quite a sizeable boost.

15. pedromr2

pedromr2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro OC+
    The situation is that i have a 1440p 144hz monitor and i want to take the full advantage of the monitor.

I am not an Intel or Amd fanboy i am just a regular consumer and want the best solution,i just like AMD because i dont like the monopoly of Intel that knows that is the best and charges us a lot because until know they didnt had competition.

I am still thinking on the Ryzen 7 1700 but i hear a lot that if you want 144hz go for the 7700k :(

I still didnt bought anything.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If you won't oc the 1700 then I would say 7700 else the 1700 will do fine. I have 1440p with 144hz my GPU is the limiting factor.

17. pedromr2

pedromr2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro OC+
    I want to OC the 1700 offcourse

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Then you should have no issues running stuff with your 144hz display at all. As long as the gpu grunt is there. On a Ryzen system. The difference is not that big either between ocd ryzen machine and ocd kabylake machine in the end. Sure it might be in older games from 350 to 400 fps difference but that is about it.

19. KevRichards

KevRichards Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 / 8GB
    I am using AMD FX-8320E currently, should I upgrade my processor to Ryzen 7? What benefits I would get overall and in gaming?

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Higher and more stable fps. Also everything else would be snappier.