Sim City 2013 Launch is one big Sim Failure

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last night EA and Maxis launched Sim City 2013 for certain regions, anxious as I am I pre-ordered this game myself back in February. To date I have not received a key (even though EA was very keen to...

Sim City 2013 Launch is one big Sim Failure

2. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Not surprised. ;)

3. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Why pre-order the game? I've never pre-ordered the game and probably never will. When you people learn...

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Several reasons, often its cheaper and more importantly (normally) you can preload the game. So you are good to go once the game goes live.

Especially with a website known for VGA performance reviews that you see within days after the launch, preloading is handy and a time saver.

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Starcraft 2 Heart of the swarm gives you access to their beta if you preorder...

On topic: EA already killed the series for me, that and C&C/RA

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    EA always kills everything, and they wonder why their stock is dropping. Perhaps it's because of **** like this. My buddy bought Simcity and has been trying to get me to buy it -- I'll pick it up eventually but it's amusing because all last night he wasn't unable to play it for more than a couple minutes between server outages.

Blizzard on the other hand is actually able to handle the load for the most part.

7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Rubbish like this is actually fueling piracy. Why pay for a game, unable to play it on the day of release, have to have a constant connection so you are screwed if you are in an area without internet or travelling when you can:

1) Download it a few days after launch
    2) Comes DRM free
    3) Can play it anywhere without a constant connection
    4) Its free

I gave up after the Empire total war where it took me over a day to download.

I have not bought a PC game since, OTHER than games that are on offer at silly prices on steam sales.

Sorry EA, you screwed up, you screwed your profits and possibly the gaming industry NOT piracy.

/rant

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    shame on anyone who bought this

9. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Putting aside the complaining about DRM and the whole piracy vs legit copy.

I was ridiculously enthusiastic about this game. However in the run up to the game e.g beta testers and so on, I began hearing nothing but negativity towards the gameplay itself.

From an honest point of view (unbiased towards EA) is the game actually any good?

I see official reviews giving good ratings but the majority or user reviews slating the game. My grievance is that many of these reviews are slating it just because of their hatred towards EA.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I actually really enjoy the game and have had no major problems with it at all. I started the download before I went to work on Tuesday and by the time I got home it was ready for me to play. Got right into a server with no issues.
    I've been having quite a good time teaming up with a few friends in my region

11. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    It explains why I can't play yet -.-' Why I'm not even surprised.

12. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    @Hilbert not sure if this is totally true I just got in a email with the below message could it be delaying tactics cos of the issues

13. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Yeah sad thing is I hear that Sim City 2013 has already been cracked.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I doubt that. A very large portion of the game is streamed from EA's servers, which also do cloud based calculations and send them back to the client. It's going to be a while before someone reverse engineers the server. Plus I checked all the sites and places I know and I haven't seen it.

15. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    And now ask yourself why in the world would someone vote EA for the worst company of 2012...
    Yeah remind me again pls, because they do not care about their customers which infact is the very definition of a bad company...

Now if you still going to purchase gaming titles from EA... go on, you know
    what to expect.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've only done it once, ArmA3.

Bohemia is a responsible studio and now they have a great publishing system (Steam) behind them, I have no doubt that ArmA 3 will turn out as expected.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Another great seriest dragged threw the mud by EA, nothing new here. I love Simcity but I wont be picking this up any time soon, I also the opinion of preorders are point. have not do this in 10+ years.

18. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Well since i was banished from the simcity thread, because now in guru3d you must play a game in order for you to actually comment on a thread, and be heard, i can freely post here my furstrations, since it is relevant to my rant in the simcity thread from the "games that you played and only then you can comment them" section:

People blindly bought the game, knowing this is EA, and it will destroy another game and just run off with their money. They are ignorant, ok, they payed for it, got mad for not being able to run it, then cried to Maxis and EA. And they are like, yeah no problems here, oh we will just make some maintenance work.

Wanna know a dirty secret? SimCity is coded as a SINGLE CORE game, so that it will run on one core, this is an EXCUSE so that people like OCEAN QUIGLEY and LUCY BRADSHAW can justify the always on DRM and the "need of raw processing power from EA's servers"
    GLASSBOX WORKS FINE WITHOUT ONLINE DRM, THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE GAME IS CODED AS SINGLE CORE!
    That is a justification of the SMALL CITY TITLES as well! If it was made so that the simulation would spam on all the CPU's cores... boom, bigger city size, probably more ram and a better videocard but guess what? you have detail settings!!

People pay 60$ for a money milking game that they dared call it SimCity! this is nothing like SimCity! it is a money milking game made by EA with a fancy simulator called Glassbox so it keeps people who play farmville and citiville on facebook intrested and amazed and makes them buy it! This game's target-group are facebook kids!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Nobody banished you from the other thread. You were acting like a fool like you are now

And your links give absolutely no proof whatsoever that the game was coded to only take advantage of a single core because of their DRM strategy. That is complete BS.

How does this
    Equal this
    There are plenty of games that run perfectly fine on a single core

20. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    really? you cannot see how maxis compromised performance by running the game on single core? a perfect reason to fool people to think the game needs an always on drm to perform

IT DOES NOT NEED ONLINE DRM! IT CAN RUN OFFLINE IF IT WAS MADE MULTICORE!
    if it was multicore, the city tile size would have been bigger as well!

if you fill a QUARTER of a map in CitiesXL, the game starts to lag... why? because that is also a single core game! to put in perspective, a quarter of a map there is a bit BIGGER than the city size in simcity

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013