'Breakthrough' for rocket engine

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Darkest, Nov 29, 2012.

1. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Maybe we will see a new Concorde in a few next years

Yup, most space movies are absolutely wrong about the sound effects in space. 2001 is an exception though

2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    True, however if you were in a futuristic manned space fighter it would likely simulate audio for your surrounding environment so that you could be more aware of your environment/situation and respond to threats better.

Additionally you'd never hear any loud noises over the ships comms as that would likely be cut out to improve pilot moral. Otherwise a space battle would seem like thousands of brilliant explosions in silence punctuated by several thousand people screaming that they're burning alive or having their guts sucked out into hard-vac through small punctures in their ships.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    WHAT! the hell did i just read, Hilarious.

Love this forum.

4. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    War on space? Can't imagine that would happen IRL

Btw, if sounds need to be emulated, you need the data first, what kind of sound to emulate. You don't want to hear a laser beam when the actual thing is an explosion right? To get the data you'll need a detector that can detect the sounds. The detector must be placed on your ship. Then there's the problem, how can a sound detector detects sounds if the sounds can't travel to the sound detector?

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:

You're not detecting sound, if a laser impacts a target doing thermal damage then it will scatter a large amount of light as well as vaporizing a portion of the targets surface or creating shrapnel. Even a cell phone's camera would suffice for detecting such an event. The sound generated could be arbitrary, but since it's purpose is situational awareness it'd likely be defined by intensity, type & proximity at the least.

The hard part would be simulating the trajectory of the sound waves correctly, however I can think of a few ways that could be handled.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Seems rather easily solved by having sensors on the surface of the craft. Much like we do now for detecting various threats for jet fighters.

7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:

Absolutely, however, doing it accurately with active sensors vs doing it with passive sensors offer two degree's of difficulty. Active sensors probably wouldn't be used because they paint a big fat bullseye on the user. Passively calculating hits on friendlies would be easily solved with a little networking. However, near misses (if detected) or the explosive report of an enemy ship going down would require a bit of processing.

Movies always play a little sound when a spaceship gets close to something, but really it wouldn't make any sound. However, simulating some audio to indicate passing debris / debris density / type of debris, might give more immediate feedback than having to read an extra line on a vid screen; so I don't knock the movies too much for doing this.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Those issues have been addressed decades ago. I spent a few decades working on active and passive detection systems in the military. Both airborne and subsurface. Considering the 'diffficulties' you cited, you might wish to research the current state of the tech. :)

P.S. For example, look up Brigand (you'll need to be creative in your search) secret squirrel stuff you know... or the various ALR-XX systems.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    What "Critical tests" did they do ? Did they run it in a super sonic wind tunnel at mach 5 for 2 hrs ? I think not. They dont even have a prototype. Let Me know when its really running.
    So what happens to this engine if its liq hydrogen cooling system leaks ? BOOOM!! This thing is many many many years away . If ever.
    Dont get me wrong, I hope it works! Really.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well the more I think about it the more I think you're probably right, I'm just shootin the **** speculating.

Is brigand something I want in my search history or should I be doing that from public wifi? I'm already acquainted with ALR.