Razer Synapse 2.0 Used For Always-On Data Mining

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by MiMiK, Nov 4, 2012.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    THat makes no sense to make it required to just to use the software. Though I dont think this will stop someone from finding a way around it. I mean really I need to log in server before I can actually use the software. God forbid internet dies Really stupid idea.

I will stick with my Logitech Deskwave pro setup till it dies. by which time Im sure Logitech will have something even better i will like. I already love in comparison to the MS Keyboard mouse crap i had before

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    See the post 5 above yours.

3. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Just don't support these kind of companies, there are more companies which produces good mice.

4. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    wow just opening your browser your info is out there get over it people...oh don't go here or don't go there you are already out there from opening your browser...get over it or stay off the net.....simple

5. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Why is Razer hellbent about doing it? Why do they need YOUR INFORMATION? Why are they salivating for more, more, and never ending information about YOU AND WHAT YOU DO?

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    What's the issue? Create a spam email account, install the software, run, use spam email to create account, go in to firewall settings and block razer from having internet access.

Problem solved! Did this about 2 weeks after I installed the software when it turned out that the update software runs at start up and can leave you with no mouse support until it has run, not really sure why they need to keep updating the mouse software, it works what else is their they can do?

7. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Razer is trying its best to flush its reputation down the ****ter.

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    This. Its becoming more and more common, and if you think things like Origin and Steam aren't doing the same thing, surprise! Welcome to the modern age of zero privacy :eek:uch:

Also this, but mostly because their mouse pads are $50+ lol. I think 2/3 of it pays for their graphic designers and marketing department.

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I can't stand people who say "If you don't like it doing use it."

The hard fact is they shouldn't be doing it that way. And if that's the way they are going to act. My next mouse won't be a Razer that's for sure.

People who just ignore things and let them pass is how we get such stupid laws and rules and other garbage.

It's like security and giving up you're privacy to make you feel safe. If you don't have anything to hide you don't have anything to worry about.

That's irrelevant if I do or don't. You shouldn't be allowing people to do it. And a massive drop in sales will be enough to show them we don't agree with it and certainly won't support it.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I agree with you wholeheartedly Finchwizard.

To make it clear, You dont need to be online to use the mouse or change settings.
    Phazedelta made a video showing that it can be used in offline mode without issue.
    But you do need to make an account with them to set it up for the first time.

So its not a showstopper, but I am annoyed that you need to make an account to set it up.
    Its not as bad as the thread title suggests and what some others are still saying.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I took the video down. I think we can all agree that you don't need the internet to use Synapse 2.0

12. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    I read about this a while ago and Razer is already on my "ignore list" for a while now because of this. I really do not need hardware that comes with DRM and "call home" functions. I mean what's wrong with them? Are they trying to cut down on mouse pirates? Didn't know that it was possible to download hardware from the pirate bay^^ Anyway, they can keep their crap, there are enough companies out there with products that usually do not break so often as the Razer junk does and which come without DRM crap.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The Force isnt strong ...

14. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    People weren't rebelling about Logitech Internet-connected configuration software (eg. for remotes), and they'll accept Razer solution as well.

I click "join customer experience program" anyway on most of the software.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just bought a Deathadder today, as my Diamondback 3G's left button was starting to stick (had it for years), only had to download the Synapse, install it, then create an account before i could configure it, but once done, i just set it to offline mode, so as said above, you don't need the internet to use it, you only need it to create your account, and access the configuration for the first time, you can still use and configure it while not being on the net as Mufflore said, ill only be going online with it, to check for updates to the Synapse software, then once ive checked, i'll be going back off, its no biggie, your getting your panties in a twist for nowt :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

16. DethZero

DethZero Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC2
    It is true, I own the Razer Naga and you can't configure it without the synapse software which needs to go online and log you in first. Fricken stupid. My desktop PC is always on but if their servers ever go down, it will definitely suck.

Next mouse will definitely be a logitech at this point. I had a Razer Diamondback before the naga and that worked great with old software. But the naga feels less durable. My right mouse button has a tendency to double click now even though it's less than a year old.

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    There are lots of companies that offer similar peripherals other than logitech.

For me, Logitech support has been very, very poor recently. They want a receipt before they'll even talk to me about my G930, even though it has a two year warranty and has only been out for just a couple months over two years.

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I don't know what the problem is, the internet connection is only required the very first time you plug the mouse in, for about 10 seconds, or however long it takes you to enter your email address, a password, and to hit the create account button, and also to check for updates to the Synapse software, which you can just put it online for, from the menu at the top.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The Synapse software does not need to access the internet. This has already been proven.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its like talking to a wall isn't it :D