Monitor Shweetness Ultra High Definition ASUS PQ321 arrives in the testlab

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I remember just a few years back and running at 1600x1200 was only possible on the most powerful of hardware at the time. Now we scoff at that and can use a single graphics card for 2560x1440. The availability of 4k monitors will again push the graphics industry to another boon until the next paradigm shift.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    You could buy one and use its native 4K resolution for the desktop, web browsing, office work, watching movies, etc or playing very minor weaker graphical games like emulators, indie games, etc then for newer games you would have to turn the resolution down the a lower settings for your 670's to run the games with decent frame rates. Those two cards should run 2560x1440 easily if you turn off AA and overclocked them a little. 2560x1440 shouldn't look too blurred/washed out/stretched on this screen. If you ran games in 1080p in this screen I reckon it would look worse than an actual 1080p screen as the picture will be stretched across the pixels 4 times its original size.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm delighted that HH will do a monitor review. Hope its not a one off and that monitors continue to be reviewed at guru3d. :banana:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  4. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Hope the review does not only focus on gaming, but also takes a look at how it does at color handling and such for graphics/3D applications :) It looks sweet though...

5. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Of course it is sweet, they call it the freaking sweetness! I hope they bundle a snickers with the monitor. :D

6. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I'll just enjoy my nice Dell Ultra Sharp 30"ers that I've gotten over the last few years that are just as good and only cost me about $400 each. I will under no circumstances ever pay more than that for a monitor.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It comes with a displayport cable in box though!

There is also a P321QE model that doesn't have 2 HDMI ports (only the displayport), but both have the RS-232C connector (via a RS-232C to 3.5mm adaptor).

Yes, RS-232C, that port on the back of the computer that you might remember... if you're old enough. It is there because you can send commands to the monitor to control all of it's features you can control through the menu (found this out in the user manual), but why would you need such a thing, and why RS-232? Sure, you can connect it to some old non PC type devices, but why would you need to operate the monitor through them, especially since the data is still provided only via displayport or HDMI. I believe displayport is the preferred port on this monitor due to the displayport's capabilities, plus the fact there is a version available without HDMI, and that there is only a displayport cable provided. I guess they didn't provide a HDMI cable for the P321Q model because that would have added to the cost ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
  8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB

@PhazeDelta1
    great to show that you have no clue about 4k on tv's..

do you have a 1080p tv?
    why?
    only BD has 1080p, not cable, not over the air and not services like netflix or hulu.
    so where is your everyday "content" for that?
    so if your statement is true, you shouldnt have a fullHD tv then, right?!...

and just because samsung is not able to provide native 4k, doesnt means others cant...
    (for that, good tvs have upscaling...)

samsung is the worst one for picture quality anyway.
    thats why (asus) 4k monitors are running LG panels.

ask a sale person in a big tv store to do a side-by-side comparison between samsung and sony with things like the red or blue "color-blind?!"-test (google/youtube for the pics/video).

they wont do it. why?
    cause samsung is not anywhere close in picture quality.
    so for me, looking at the worst brand for 4k, is not really making sense...

just for the facts:
    sony does 4k for about 10y.
    has a 4k unlimited service/4k media server/4k video cameras, and converted already about 30-50 movies from 35mm to 4k...

but i guess its just easier to repeat what reviews/others told you...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    4k was mainly done for theaters/big screen tv's. not for small monitors (unless doing graphics/photo ed as your job..)

i rather spend 5k on the 60ish tv's, than 3k on a monitor.
    stuff is just to small (desktop).

10. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    I... I... I WANTS IT!!!

..oh, and a pair of Titans please.

11. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Looks sweet, looking forward to reading the review. Hope you have at least 3 TITANs, motherboard with 2 Xeons and enough liquid nitrogen at home :)