Zotac GTX680 is better than my Zotac 480?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mr.Bigtime, Nov 30, 2012.

1. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    You should still overclocked that CPU of yours. It's almost certainly going to bottleneck your new GPU.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Cant do it man, even increasing 10MHZ , OS wont boot. but let me try this with W8. and new RAM i have since that happened. let me try tonight.

3. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    roflmao

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Windows 7 or 8 won't matter, if it doesn't boot it doesn't boot, it's all in the hardware. Maybe you're not giving it enough juice, or maybe there are other settings you should change, like RAM speed. It's simply not possible that an i7-950 doesn't overclock at all. They all overclock, it's just a matter of how much and how easily. Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler?

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Yes a nice big thermaltake.

I flowed the exact guide in guru3d, which is specificly for my mobo. But still no joy.

I will try tonight and lets see how it performs.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Congrats on the new gpu mr.bigtime! I'm holding out for next gen. Said i'll be trying out AMD this time but having second thoughts, we'll see, shouldnt deal in absolutes as who knows what will happen.

Still not sure who will be first to release, although it's looking like AMD.

Am sure you should be able to oc that cpu even by just using auto settings and changing the cpu frequecy and multipliers etc etc...

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    thanks man.

but unfortunately pc crashes yet again ..or i do something wrong..lets leave this OC issue all alone and continue our lives lol :D

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    mobo bios is updated? you can also OC within windows (i guess on same volts)

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    LoL what a clown you are, You made me laugh before i go to bed.

11. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Cmon guys, spare the new kid.. I'm sure he meant it a humoristic way.. Probably... :D

I have to be honest that when I saw BigTime asking this with his almost 16k posts I was a bit surprised. But even 100k posts does not mean that the person knows everything..
    Hell, I'm sure even the most intelligent/smartest persons learn something new almost every day or now and then...
    I have seen many people in many forums with thousands of posts, asking basic questions according to their post count.. But then again it is what it is.. Just a Post Count..
    Btw Mr.Bigtime, I been playing FC3 for days now, done all except loots(so damn many) and letters 13/20 before start doing the main missions.. It proved more fun this way for me..
    Great game. Keep enjoying your card.

12. angmar

angmar Guest

did you even need to ask this question?

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Big is no troll. He's been here a long time. He wasn't sure of himself so he posted for support. Nothing wrong with that...

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Same as real life.. Respect is slowly going away between people.. :thumbdown

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed, Biggie is a good guy!

Ps. Enjoy your GTX 680 Big Time, it's quite a step ahead from your GTX 480...

16. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yes its a good game, but don't upgrade for it. Upgrade if games that actually have good engines don't run as well as you want them to, at the quality settings you want. Just my 2c, because that's generally how I tell if I want an upgrade.

Waiting for high-end Kepler myself.

edit: oops too late :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    You got pretty much the same setup as me CPU, Motherboard and Memory wise. Here is how i have mine setup:

Now ofcourse no setup is the same and you can't just copy/paste my settings. But it's something you can aim for.

You could start with a Baseclock (BCLK Frequency) of 150 which makes your memory run at 1500 MHz and your CPU at 3,45 GHz.

The voltages i use are safe ones and pretty much considered low. I run my current OC for almost 2 Years now. I did try 4GHz which does work, but it increases my CPU Temps by atleats 10C which is not worth the trouble.

You just gotta find the right balance.

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ Well said RoadKillNL, hopefully BigTime can try your settings & start off low & work his way up finding the maximum stable overclock with acceptable temperatures of course!

@ Biggie, try RoadKillNL's guide & let us know how it went, good luck.

19. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    no to sound offend, but kind off typical green user here. :)

20. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Check out OC guides on other sites as well. You can never get enough information when it comes to OC'ing.