7970 standard vs Ghz Edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by brutlern, Mar 21, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    show us some pics of inside your case and some proof that you only get 50C max load temps. it's not just me who finds those temps a bit low. and I don't know you so excuse me thinking you don't know what you're talking about. sometimes people just don't.

2. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    You guys have gone a little bit off topic a bit ;)

But here's a small piece of information I didn't know: "Tahiti XT2 chip on the GHz edition". So there is a difference. Interesting.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's most likely an internal binning designation used by AMD rather than an actual different design. My two cents.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes, it's definitely not a new design. Just better yields.

5. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Hello.

Im currently running an msi lightning 7970 (not boosted edition) and a HIS icq 7970 (not ghz edition). Im returning msi card because it keeps overheating and im concerned that msi may credit me with a voucher to purchase another msi card. If they do im going to end up with a boosted lightning card and my standard HIS.

So will I run into problems mixing 2 types of chip?

They may have access to old stock, but I dont think so.

Any thoughts?

Regards.
    Bboy

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No problem.

Back to 7970s I see?

7. Moegames

Moegames Guest

For those of you guys that doubted what this guy im quoting above is saying about the Sapphire Dual-X 7970 OC Edition (non Ghz edition) ...at his exact clocks...iv'e got the same results...my temps always stayed under 50c under heavy load at 1100mhz core / 1600mhz memory. Although i've got my Sapphire Dual-X OC'd a bit higher and temps are still around the 50c-55c level under stress testing and all sorts of games Crysis3,etc,etc

The Sapphire Dual-X cooling solution is one heck of a cooler, in fact i wouldnt even pay the extra dough for the Vapor-X ...just go with the Dual-X....The Dual-X Sapphire card is one of those cards that should get more recognition than it does in computer message boards.

And im not just saying this because i own a dual-x...i also own a MSI Lightning 7970 and a Gigabyte Windfore 7950 Ghz Edition...which those two rigs are machines i built to sell soon...i could easily keep one of those cards but im going to stick with the Dual-X on my main machine, i just like it and i can reach 1200mhz core with it..abit with some more added voltage adjustments but im content at 1150mhz core to keep it cooler and quieter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  8. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Gonna vouch for the Ghz edition being worth the extra money. Anecdotal, but I think the overclocks are better on them. 7970Ghz is the best bang for buck card ATM.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No, the 7950 is.

10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    With overclocking yes, but without I'd say no. If it's too slow in a game then it doesn't count.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The overclocking potential is what makes it such good value.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I've had worse luck overclocking my GHz Edition which comes with a close ASIC (~68% vs. 64.4%).

Anyways, the 7970 non-GHz cards are almost non-existent nowadays.