Water Cooling - Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Preachergeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    The problem is finding a review that compares them to cooler in the same price range. Looks like the above link does though:
    Bottom line seems to be the Swiftec Ultra cools better and costs less.

2. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    yeah , ive been looking for the eliminator as thats cheaper and offers nearly the same performance , anyone fancy shipping me one ??

the impression that i get from the reviews is that its a great cooler and easy to install but dont but an overclocked P4 under it , some people are having awesome results with core 2's and athlons , i reckon i could get it cool and overclcok my cpu loads with one fo these

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    The problem with reviews is that they tend to stack the deck so as to make the product (loaned from the company for the purpose) look as good as possible. So $100 watercooling kits are compared to stock air but not high-end air even though they still cost only half as much. Now its possible the reviewer just didn't have much else handy--but more likely they tried it and the resullts were not pretty for the $100 watercooling, meaning it was barely any better if not the same or even worse, and so they cut it out (which is unfortunately the reality of the situation). In the link above the freezone actually was (atypically) compared to the high-end Apex Ultra kit, and it lost. It may be the case that with a different setup it might have won given that apparently TECs when overloaded can actually make your temps hotter rather than cooler, but I'd want to see a review that actually demonstrated this before I'd conclude that. Now the elimator is only $200, but here in the US you can get the Apex Ultra for $225 and the (presumbably) better performance plus the expandability is certainly worth another $25. Perhaps the situation is different in the UK, but I'd definately try to find a review that had also had a watercooler in the same price range if possible, and if you can't find one then consider the possibility that the elimantor simply wouldn't win.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  4. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    o.k guys i can get the coolit freezone shipped to my door for around the £180 mark , which i think is good as i want something compact and something i dont have to put together myself buying a swiftech kit or something similar means i would have to put it togther myself

also whats the verdict on this?

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=3178&cat=272&page=1

Alphacool Cool Answer III 120 Compact 12v laing Pro AGB Edition

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Hmmm, that's probably pretty good, actually, considering it is all-in-one (tubing looks narrow and the block may not be the best, but probably fine). I'd keep in mind that with these all in one units you are essentially cutting yourself off from ever doing GPU cooling, and with GPU starting to exceed CPUs in power consumption that could be cause for regret. Setting up a WC loop may not be a 5-10 minute affair but that does not mean it is difficult. If you can cut tubing to approximately the right length then that is about the extent of the challenge. Sometimes you must rock the case around a bit to get all the air out, but that is really just somewhat tedious and nothing else.

For the record, I'm sure you could put a second block on the kit you linked to, but then you'd really want a second 120 mm radiator (or dump the original for a 240 mm model).

6. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    well im looking at 3 choices at the minute , what would you choose

1. Alphacool Cool Answer III 120 Compact 12v laing Pro AGB Edition
    2. CoolIt Freezone or Eliminator
    3. Swiftech H20 120

thanks for your replies G L and preacher , very helpful

7. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    id go swiftech hands down for upgradability alone.thing is with water once you start.you find yourself wanting more and more.kind of like ocing,once you get a taste your never the same lol.

8. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yes, I would agree with that. U want something with somekind of upgrade potential, particularaly in case u end up getting hotter components etc, which as things are these days, is quite likely. And water is addictive... once u get it, u will always want it ;)

9. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    hi guys, sorry for the lack of posting recently but i've been busy with the new pc. It's all working nicely now, and i currantly get 12,000 comfortably in 3dmark06. I hopefully will be able to push this a lot higher soon.

I agree Maxfly completely on this, i'd go for the Swiftech kit as you'll be able to upgrade it to a really top notch performing kit when you need/want to easily, whereas with the others you're more stuck with what you have.

Since this is a watercooling thread i should mention that my watercooling is currantly keeping my 3ghz e6600 at 34C after 2 hours with both cores fully loaded on Orthos...So that's all looking good i'd say. Idles at 23C, oh yeah and it's about 16-17C ambient i reckon.

10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    EK's are also in stock at www.coolercases.co.uk they also have the Acetal top ones, which I personally prefer. Thats where i got mine! :)

12. Syvirus

Syvirus Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280 SC Sli
    OK i took G L's advice and i looked into getting a Swiftech H20-Apex Ultra cooling system but i was thinking of going up a notch and getting the Apex Ultra Plus http://www.pccasegear.com/prod3044.htm But i wanted to know if i did would that GPU cooler fit onto my 8800? and if so how the hell do i put it on?

13. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    In my guide there's a link under the H20-Apex Ultra section that links to the 8800 adaptor kit. Wait i might as well just refind the links...

14. Syvirus

Syvirus Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280 SC Sli
    Ahh thank you.

15. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    No probs mate.

btw i just kind of remembered that i was planning on making a second little guide about getting the watercooling set up, so sorry i forgot about it until now after previoiusly mentioning it.

I've done half of it in word and will finish the rest of it tomorrow night if i have time.

edit: Something i really want to find out is how much of an added overclock h20 can allow on the 8800gtx core and memory. Or is it a voltage limitation? Can any of you guys with h20 on your gtx's tell me please?

16. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    I think the mess-o-heatsinks needed for the 8800 line is why people are starting to swing back to full coverage blocks, as they are scarely any more expensive. However, I have never seen a full coverage block that can be used on more than one generation of cards whereas Swiftech is pretty good about releasing adapter kits (hence the G80 adapter), and the ramsinks should be resuable (I was tipped off to mixing 25% normal AS in with normal AS Adhesive and it works well with both holding and coming off with a reasonable amount of force).

The only problem with the plus kit is that you are also paying for the chipset block, which traditionally has been considered a waste (because aircooling always seems sufficient to take the northbridge as far as you'd need). But then again I believe the i680 is the hottest chipset around, so perhaps it wouldn't be such a terrible idea, especially if you are using a CPU block like the Apogee that doesn't rely on high-pressure for best performance anyway.

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    GL, I would certainly agree with everything you said there mate. I have gone for EK full cover blocks this time around (always used GPU block + ramsinks in the past) because, a) once u add the cost of sinks and adaptors etc to the MCW60 they cost around the same b) cooling performance is similar (maybe 2-3 degrees higher on the EK TOPS - but bare in mind thats not bad considering u are cooling memory + VRM's too) c) its alot simpler to put together!

As for the 680i, yes it runs exceptionally hot, especially if you have a board with digi PWM's aswell. In fact, again for the first time, I felt the need to add a chipset block into my loop and am running an MCW30.

Obviously with all this heat, you are gonna need a pretty hefty rad/pump setup - either 2 dual 120mm or a something like a single Thermochill PA120.3. This is particularly important if you are thinking of adding SLI into the mix aswell!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  18. Syvirus

Syvirus Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280 SC Sli
    I was just gonna get the H20 Ultra and buy the Swiftech MCW60 VGA Waterblock and just add it in but after adding all the stuff together it works out to be $32 cheaper to buy the H20 Plus and i get a free chipset block.

H20 Ultra Plus $495
    MC14 Heatsink $29.50
    MC21 MOSFET Heatsink $19.50
    MCW60 G80 Adapter $12

Total: $556

H20 Ultra $399
    MCW60 VGA Water Block $99
    MC14 Heatsink $59 x2
    MC21 MOSFET Heatsink $19.50
    MCW60 G80 Adapter $12

Total: $588.50

19. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    If the radiators are listen in terms of best->worst, you've got them wrong.

MCR series / Coolrad series definitely the first ones behind Thermochill... HWLABS rads (BIP/BIX/BIGTS/BIGTX) would come after MCR.

20. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Not going from best to worst mate, i just listed all of them and then wrote where abouts they rank. If you want to read them i state that the MCR comes in between the Thermochill and HWLABS in terms of performance.:)

However you raise a good price. I should have really ranked them from best to worst. Maybe i'll do that later tonight, it won't take 5 minutes. Trouble is it'll be hard like, ranking the heatercore, as it depends entirely on what heatercore you use. Oh well, i'll give it a shot anyways. You guys may have to correct me on a few minor issues though...

lol, just to clarify again i understand and did in fact mean that the MCR is better than the hwlabs for performance.

edit:

Just for you I adjusted the order so that it resembles best to worst a bit. Still not the exact correct order but i can't be bothered to find it out exactly.

btw where do you think i should rank heatercores then?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007