Teaser image of new MSI TwinFrozr V Cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Over at the Asian based mydrivers website a new render popped up slightly teasing the new MSI new MSI TwinFrozr V cooler. The cooler is based on a big dual-stack aluminum fin heat-sink led by five 8 ...

Teaser image of new MSI TwinFrozr V Cooler

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    After reading so many reviews of the MSI cards from the AMD side as well as Nvidia I am hoping that MSI fixes the issues with their cooler with the next revision. I have read of people having problems with the card leaking oil from the fans and or the fans will fail after a while.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Heat pipe cooling on the vrm's that's what I'm talking about. Why are they just now doing this?

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh really? Thankfully I haven't had any troubles with my TwinFrozrIV cooler so far. I would have been shattered if my (by then) almost 600€ expensive card would have died because of the fans after just two years...

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Their 290 cards had that.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Best to get a reference design card and slap an Arctic Accelero Xtreme on it.

Inaudible operation and only needs to run at 40-50% Fan Speed.

Arctic Cooling is the Noctua of VGA Cooling. But that's my 10+ Years experience with them :)

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm not sure if the cooler on my 680 Lightnings is a TwinFrozr but I can honestly say that after 2.5 years of service I never had a problem with them, super silent in auto mode, not so much when stressing them at 80-100% but that is understandable, yet do a great job at cooling. For me they are the best custom cards I ever owned.

I'm looking forward seeing the new design in action on the next gen cards, and I'm 99% sure, judging from color alone, that that yellow part in the pics is from the future Lightning card. :banana:

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah but from the reviews that I have read it was mainly AMD cards but the lightning card has a different cooler type entirely with 3 fans instead of 2.

Yeah or get a more reputable brand such as Sapphire. Yeah I know that Arctic Cooing is very good *SPAM* back to the ATI/NV silencer days.

9. zzzaac

zzzaac Guest

GPU:
    -
    I've always avoided Sapphire as I found them to be unreliable, my 6950 toxics were awful and the coil whine unbearable. Only gives 2 year warranty too.

Im using MSI for the first time for my 290, no issues so far....

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This is MSI's fifth iteration of the TF, (I have TF IV) so which ones did it affect before, all? So far 16 months of trouble-free, quite, cool operation, hope it stays that way.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I agree with you here AC is the best of the best for Aftermarket cooling for GPU, I just wish they had partner ship with EVGA Love EVGA card but there coolers are just meh.

I would actual settle for Manufacture in the states that had partnership with AC to use there coolers. only manufacturing (inno3d) i know that has this isnt even based in the States so it super hard to just find there cards. and i tried a few there cards when I could find them and i sent them all back for one problem or another. dont really associated them with quality.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    OK, found this, MSI responds:

Cant recall my card ever seeing 100% fan operation in any game or scenario, let alone at 24/7. So a bit of relief there.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    When I had 290 Gaming it did not go anywhere near 100% even when overclocked.

14. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Well i have two of the MSI Twin Frozr coolers on my 780s and like other people have said about the fans , one of my fans on the bottom card sometimes doesn't spin up ( i would say 1 in 20-30 times ) when booting up ,i have to take the side panel off and give it a little tap to get it going then it ok for sometime
    I was thinking about RMA , but worried that they would reject it leaving me with postage costs
    So next time around i was going to give MSI a miss and try a different manufacture .

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Doesn't cut it for heavier OC'ing imo.

Had to go for a Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV to keep my card stable. For some reason the 7xx GTX's go all derp above 80° C and the OC was unstable. If the temperature stays below that it's fine.

Core is now stable at 1306 Mhz.

Anyone buying this cooler though: Keep the front plate attached, the backplate alone is not sufficient for the VRM's/RAM (but it does help, seems to actually absorb alot of heat, just not enough to keep certain parts stable).

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i disagree, good air cooling is possible without having to rip open the card and void warranty.
    look at some of Hilberts FLIR results, I've also owned a classified in my time and have witnessed first hand quality air cooling.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Thanks for the info mate. It is good to know that MSI responded to this problem.

18. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT

Completely agreed the fans of my Sapphire 7870 GHZ sucks, i mean 1 year and one fan is mostly useless i have to force the fan to 80% to make him spin, and the noise is so freaking annoying 60% and i can clearly hear him even using headset listening to music.

So no way i would never recommend a Sapphire GPU in the middle or high or high-end products.

19. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I like seeing how MSI keeps improving their coolers, 100mm will mean more quieter/more airflow. Unlike eVGA where they say their coolers have been revised/fixed yet still have rattling/fan noises (out of 3 eVGA ACX coolers I've tested).

I remember on my old 5850 Twin Fr0zr, it was quiet as well and same goes for the Twin Fr0zr IV.

20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    980 /970 gaming twin frozr V sounds ideal, if they make a nice lightning perhaps even better though those could be a good while away.
    this could be a long month a least Gauntlet is out soon. :)