Brothers in Arms - Hells Highway VGA performance review [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Today a VGA performance test on Brothers in Arms - Hells Highway. Hells Highway is based on the Unreal III engine which allows some pretty decent graphics but more importantly it'll be playable for...

More...

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Hilbert, that game looks absolutely stunning. I was amazed by the detailed villages, architecture, rooms, etc. By the looks of it they went to great length to make this as historically accurate as possible. Not sure about the actual events.

Anyway... I'll probably end up buying this game. ;)

Too bad there is no support for the 4870X2 yet. Would be great to see it retested once proper drivers arrive. Does the renaming trick works for this game?

Thanks. :thumbup:

3. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Im surprised how well the game runs on lower end set-ups, i run the game on my laptop really well, obviously not with AA or AF but the game still looks great, dont have my main rig where im living at the minute so this has to do.

Really like the game aswell.

4. sharkchu12

sharkchu12 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 590 & GTX260+ PhysX
    Sorry just have to add, Singleplayer rocks, Multiplayer doesnt. Dat was my initial impression, thought I haven't played any other BiA...

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Thanks for the test! :thumbup:

6. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    Great stuff :D

7. comeradealexi

comeradealexi New Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS
    because there are no 4870x2 drivers for the card is that why the 4870 512mb runs better than it?

when are ATI going to bring out good/proper drivers for the 4870x2?

i was thinking wtf when reading the benchmarks at first

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    There are good drivers out, but hopefully its a unreal engine problem (or conversely ATI not working on the compatabilty of UT engine with crossfire/multi gpu).

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Remaning the .exe to Oblivion.exe gives proper AA on ATI cards in this title. I also have Crossfire working here (my results are atleast 50% better), which I guess could be because I'm using the newest drivers?

10. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Thanks for trying that! Good to know the renaming trick works for this game.

11. dmak

dmak Master Guru

GPU:
    zotac 770
    thanks for these comparisons, most game review sites don't bother with a performance section of the pc versions. My only question is about the 3870x2, where would that fall in there? is it possible to add that to future game reviews? or is there an approximate position I could guess it to be?

12. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've searched all over the internet for a solution.

Anyone had any luck forcing AA to work properly? It works as John suggests above, but then my shadows go completely crazy! Tried all sorts of renaming / driver tricks but no luck.

I attempted to disable shadows and just forget about them, using Unreal 3 engine config commands, but that messed things up even more haha.

If anyone knows how to get AA working or disable shadows properly, I'd love to know..or any idea whether gearbox/ATI are going to enable AA to work in a similar fashion that ATI got it working in bioshock and UT3?

Cheers!

13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nope, I found the same shadow bug when I actually started playing the game. So I ended up playing through it without AA, which is a bit of a shame, because the game is absolutely fantastic! Some AA would have helped tremendously.

14. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    Yeah I'm playing through and really liking the game, but the graphics really need AA. Just going to have to try and ignore the lack of AA for now - hopefully a patch / driver update will help out sometime.

edit: argh. opened it to play today like normal with no AA, had the grass texture bug flicker all over the screen.

restarted the PC, now the game won't load at all! This is a fresh install as well.

edit: ARGH! Get the same issue in UT3 as well now!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009