Gigabyte HD 7950 should be 900 MHz, came stock as 1000 Mhz...?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mrBullseye, Jan 29, 2013.

1. mrBullseye

mrBullseye Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Ed.
    Haha, no, you didn't ruin the party. As the card was stock I assumed all was as it should. :)

The strange thing though is that both the retailer and Gigabyte themselves (on the website) lists the card as OC:d to 900 MHz, it even says so on the box, when in fact it was 1 GHz due to this BIOS.

I have no problem reading up on stuff I haven't done, and flashing a GPU BIOS would be one of them. I have however flashed alot of Mobo BIOSes and have alot of experience with CPU overclocking, but all help is appreciated :).

It really doesn't matter anyways, I am not really interested in OCing this card any more. It won't help me since I am bottlenecked by my crappy CPU and mems and I can't afford to change them right now.

I might even underclock it back to the supposed 900 MHz. What are the stock clocks in the F43 BIOS?

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hey, that's ok, having a mild OC of 1000 or 1100 on the card is trivial, it's like eating breakfast in the morning. :D

But as all other bioses except the "F3/FZ1", the stock core clock comes at 900MHz and memory at 1250MHz.

Flashing is very easy, you'll be surprised at how simple it is. It's like 1-2-3. :D It even became a habit of mine, soon as a new bios came out I tried it out straight away to see how it is, because apparently there's been like 3-4 bioses released for our 7950 lol. :D

And yeah, strange, they must've released a batch of cards when the 1000mhz bios was still intact or going (OR... :D it's a user returned card and the previous owner complained because of instability and it was returned to the store and the next happy owner, you, got it, but I don't think that's the case if it looked new to you :D)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    hahah Deathchild, that's basically why we were looking at voltage. I wanted to know if the voltage the card shipped with is high enough for the clock they set.

And I didn't notice you had the Gigabyte WF3 version! I was confused about whether I should get my friend one or not as I had been afraid they'd be voltage locked.

I'm glad I went for the card. It's on its way now.

4. mrBullseye

mrBullseye Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Ed.
    I hope not anyways :)

Then I would like to try flashing to the more stable BIOS :) I'm not one to shy away from a challenge (as evidenced by me cooking my 4870x2 in the oven to try and save it, it worked, but only once :D)

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Haha, yeah I should probably change the info in the signature. :D Yeah I'm glad you went for it, as the card is very good.. I mean.. it's a beast. And I mean it. :D The OCing of it.. the temperatures, oc scaling, etc.

The voltage they set with that bios is high enough for a 1200/1700 overclock. :D When I had this bios I just set the sliders in CCC to 1200/1575 pulled them all the way to the right, as far as they went and it was stable straight away. Everyone was shouting, screaming and jumping about it, everyone was like OMG, 1200/1575 STABLE no issues whatsoever, this is the best bios ever! But then people started realizing it's too much.. :D that they COULD have 1200core with little less voltage on the core.

edit: LOL, you cooked your 4870x2 in the oven? Godamn man, that is cold.

:D

And yeah, no worries, we'll help you out with the flashing, it's very easy. You can see how the card fares currently, with the bios and all, see how it is. Most likely the temps will go high up, so be sure to check them.

If you decide later on that you want to flash, then I will give you the necessary links and what not.

edit2: Ok, here we go man. Exactly the same topic/issue. :D http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=374055

6. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    So is better to have a high ASIC or low ASIC?

[​IMG]

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Higher is better for air, lower better for water. Depends on how you plan to cool the card and what sort of OC you're after. It pretty much explains in your screenshot.

8. mrBullseye

mrBullseye Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Ed.
    I am sorry, totally OT, but how in the name of all that is holy did you manage to display a pic from dropbox. I tried for like 15 minutes to get the URL to show up in the forums as an attached image but didn't manage :bang:

:D

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    @DeathChild: You're making me want to grab it, stuff it, and overclock the hell out of it. Which I will do, as I'm building my friend's system anyways :p

We shall see what I get on that card.

What do you stress test with to make sure the card is stable?

@PneV: mannnnn, pretty high ASIC right there! You should reach some high clocks with low voltages. So be conservative with voltage. You'll find you'd hit a wall where no amount of higher voltage will get the card stable at a slightly higher frequency.

If you're planning to OC your card, do tell us how it goes.

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Do 3dmark11 first of all, if it goes through, play some heavy graphics game like Crysis 2, GW2 whatever. If it doesn't crash for a few hours or anything then it's stable. Voila.

And lol, yasa, I can imagine, hahahahah. :D Talk about having a fetish for gpus..

For mrBullseye our honorary guest today:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=374055

11. mrBullseye

mrBullseye Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Ed.
    I really appreciate it man. I will give this card a couple of gaming hours and some benchmarks first, and see how it performs, and then i'll get back to you! :thumbup:

I am really happy with the card so far. I actually considered returning it yesterday (before even installing it) 'cause I hadn't gotten any voucher for the Gaming Bundle... "Never settle" or something, and I really wanted Far Cry 3.
    A call to the retailer later and they had posted a voucher for Assasins Creed 3 and one for Borderlands 2 (from some Nvidia campaign) so I might keep it now :D

12. mrBullseye

mrBullseye Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Ed.
    Much obliged kind sir!

13. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Use the "Insert Image" button when Replying and place the Public Link inside.

I have had it to 1200 core at times to stress test it out to see what I can do. The problem is the TF3 fan gets LOUD above 55% and personally I can't bear it. Its fast enough for me now and keeps cool enough :).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8947194/3dmark_suicide.png

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Lol, PNeV, love the title of the pic. :D

I did a suicide run when I ran the card at 1250/1700 with 1.3v. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5566480 Keeping the window open was my cooler.. xD And I was like "ohh.. please lord, may not something happen to this card.. only this test", while I heard the squealing noise of the 1.3v voltage going through the card. :infinity:

and of course mrBullseye, happy to help! :D :banana: Let's all have a big sausage party now and admire our HD7950s and run 3dmark11 tests simultaneously. :nerd:

15. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Its called suicide because after that run I did Heaven 3.0, and the screen went into standby and didn't wake up til I took the CMOS Battery out of my Motherboard. Thought I had voltage killed my card.

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Damn, must've been a horrible experience.. And lol, the feeling when your computer boots up again and THE SCREEN shows up! "Thank you dear card for not letting me down.."

17. CLass

CLass Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX980 Phantom
    hi,

yes i raised mV to 1120 to achieve stable 1.1/1.5ghz!
    and my asic according to gpu-z is 79%, i never touch above 75C on the core and VRMs look good too so i guess ill be just happy with it! i get around 9400 3Dmark11 points i hope thats enough, can you guys share your 3dmark OC experience with this card? im already in love with this thread

18. mrBullseye

mrBullseye Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Ed.
    @Deathchild - I accidentally posted this in the thread you linked me earlier as a quick reply. Too many tabs open, I lost my way :p

I mentioned I baked my last card in the oven to save it, I just found that old thread if you want to read it. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=360684

:)

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sure man. Here we go. :D

So, be sure to look at the graphics score, mind you.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5566480 1250mhz core
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5586805 1200mhz core
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4730207 1100mhz core

@mrBullseye, sure man, that's understandable. :D

LOL!!!!! :D Lol all these people baking their hardware.. what has the world come to. XD Pill forgot to set the oven timer, LOL!!! :D Hahahah, he was baking his router.. godamn.. **** me. XD

And lol, Bullseye, your 8 longest minutes in life, ROFL. Hahahaha, can imagine that. :D

It would be ****ed up to bake oneself and then bake your graphics card at the same time.

Pardon the profane language. :moon:

20. CLass

CLass Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX980 Phantom
    is that 1.25ghz clock 24/7 stable? im amazed by that corespeed, how much mV did you pumped up? im a little bit scared to push my 7950 further, especially because it was early adopt for 500$ (460€) so im very scared to kill it :>