Radeon R9 290X now also listed at Newegg for $729.99

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    $600+ pricing would be ultimate consumer trolling: first commenting that AMD does not believe in Titan price tags, and then pricing the 290X OVER the stock 780 according to projected performance levels.

2. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    This ^

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I am sure that hilbert will have us covered on that.

I will put it threw its pases overclock wise just like my titan and 780 to see where it lands.
    After I might be able to provide some info on aftermarket cooling,bios mods and voltage but lets see how it goes.

4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Well considering nvidia's maxwell incoming, even the console's profit will not save AMD from bankruptcy if their incoming gen isn't going to give them enough money for continuable lifespan. According to that, they cannot give you their top-end gpu less than their opponent's high-end.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If it's on par with Titan performance wise, I'd consider 2 of these.

6. ckleuser

ckleuser Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    Do you think that's expensive in the Nordic site ??? this card will launch here in Brazil probably at a bargain of something around U$ 2000.00, don't believe ??? Look how much it cost's a Titan (do your conversion dólar <> real = 2.3) = http://www.kabum.com.br/hardware/placa-de-video-vga/nvidia/gtx-titan

AhAhAHAHAHha, we are soooo f****ed down here!!!

7. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I want to see the performance but i don't think they can beat Nvidia.

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Hmmm, i'm better off going crossfire then, THAT is expensive...

9. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    I really hope that this is the case. And not just another insane pricetag for no logical reason, like the 9590's $900 release price.

Time will tell i guess, i like the reference cooler design though :)

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    They wont, the next Nvidia high end card will blow it clean out of the water.
    Well done to AMD though for keeping up the fight and releasing a decent card for an ok price. I thought it woulda been abit cheaper though.

11. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Maxwell is more than likely Q3 Q4 of 2014 so while it's technically coming.. it's most likely not going to be until the later half of 14. 20nm process isn't ready from either manufacturers.

Playing the waiting game is somewhat redundant in technology if your in the middle of a build and have the money. If your on a budget it's a different story.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I don't think we will see 290X be here for long, AMD will bring R9 3xx really quickly.

Same thing happened when HD 3xxx was replaced with HD 4xxx only in a year to counter nvidia GTX 2xx series.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, if this has the performance the leaks suggest and this price then Nvidia and AMD can mess about with prices and refreshes of these cards for the next year without having to release any new hardware.

Bad for the consumer, but good for those two.

Whether Nvidia can compete with AMD will depend on how good or supported Mantle is.

$730 is a little more than i was expecting though, that works out as £540 inc tax.

14. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    looks like ill be skipping another gen, far too expensive, the titan was too expensive on release, this comes 8-9 months later, ok price/performance its better but its definately not worth it overall on price performance, cant believe its gotten worse since the 8800GTX days.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Feeling similar atm. As it turns out, my 470 GTX will become my 2nd ''8800 GTX'' aka a card that can (not maxed out but decently) get the job done for quite some time.

17. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Yeah, really have to wonder if even newegg actually knows what the price will be. They could have just plugged a price in there as a placeholder, especially considering that the price is hidden and had to be grabbed by the code.

I have a hard time seeing this card be much more than $600 at the top end. Given that they already announced the R9 280x will be $300 (and, if rumors are true, is either a rebadged 7970 or will at least perform very similarly to a 7970), that means you can crossfire a pair of 280Xs for $600 and almost certainly be faster than a single 290X.

Why would I pay an extra $100-200 for less performance?

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think I'll just wait for the R9 270X or something like that, I'm not spending more than $250 for a GPU that's for sure. My Radeon HD 6870 is little long in the tooth but it's not like it's not doing me well, but GPU upgrades never hurts...

EDIT: I just realized Mantle wouldn't work on my Radeon HD 6870 which sucks, but not sure if it's worth upgrading right now since I honestly don't think it's worth it at the moment, maybe when more Frostbite 3 games comes out and that these GCN cards have better pricing and such to worth a jump.

deltatux

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  19. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    Yeah I think you're right. It could be just a placeholder and if it isn't then meh... I guess I won't be getting the flagship gpu :( (which I've never done in my life b4... I usually buy within 200-300 range). I hope it's under $600... but then again if it's supposed to be better than the Titan then I wouldn't be surprised if it's over that price. If so I'll just pick up a r9 280x and maybe crossfire sometime down the road.

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think you should worry about upgrading the rest of your rig before a GPU, your current rig will likely bottleneck the R9 280X if you intend on getting it.

deltatux