My STX II Impressions

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by moab600, Jul 30, 2014.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    True that, Quality OCD is why we pay so much on premium stuff, in the PC world and outside.

2. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Well since I already have the STX I. I can be picky if I want!

3. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    True lol :grad:

4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I'd have to hear that to believe it. The 5.1 / 7.1 headsets is a love or hate deal. Not sure why. But,what you said is absolutely not true! I was playing W* last night with my 770's and then with Kave's. They are both great. The Kave's have awesome separation. IDK what your talking about. What true 5.1 headsets were you using to make that judgement? There are some bad 5.1 headsets,but there are good ones also. I'm guessing your an audiophile,so by default they would suck. I also realize that most audiophiles gravitate towards the STX. Let me guess.. a bad experience with creative drivers?

5. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070 Ti
    Has anyone tried the "muse" opamps that came with the stx II
    and if so,are they better also what slots did you put them in?
    thanks

disregard ,I'll put this in another part of the forum,thanks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Absolute BS! Your just an Asus fanboy. The STX 2 and ZXR use most of the same components. If you would have said its really close but in your opinion you think the STX sounds a little better in the upper range,I could buy that. Your making it sound like there is such a disparity between the 2 that its not even close. That is absurd! :stewpid:

PS.I believe Robscix reviewed both cards. Ask him how much of a difference there is. I have a feeling he's going to say,you could flip a coin. Or do you want to spend $200 for the ZXR and get similar performance to the $400 STX 2.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Boy, you sure sound like a raging fanboy.

STX
    DAC TI Bur brown 1792A
    Daughter Card – PCM 1796

(DAC) - Main board
    ADC Cirrus Logic CS 5381

AMP = TI TPA6210A2

ZXR
    DAC
    TI Burr-Brown PCM1794 (127dB DAC, 24bit / 192kHz) for Front L / R
    TI Burr-Brown PCM1798 (123dB DAC, 24bit / 192kHz) for Rear / C / Sub

(ADC) - DBPro board TI Burr-Brown PCM4220 (Dynamic Range 123dB)

Headphone Amp
    Texas Instrument 6120A2

I also could only cross reference 1 OPAMP thats used in both cards, the rest are different.. They use the same headphone AMP

So no, they dont use "mostly the same" components.

Also, the regular STX without the 7.1 daughter board is only $50~ more than the ZXR. :stewpid:

Also considering you own neither of the two, who are you to call someone out?

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I would say that between the three, logging out sounds the best to me when someone feels like they want to insult another member for stating their subjective opinion regarding a comparison between two cards. Do us a favor and never attack someone again like this.

9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Goat1 was stating his subjective opinion too. I don't see where he attacked anyone. His opinion is just a little stronger,that's all. Compared to some forums and comments made,his comment was tame to say the least. An opinion is an opinion. No one here is forced to read anything. Don't like a comment? Just skip over it. Can't we all just get along? [I still prefer the Phoebus]

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    He pretty much did here:

You're trying to claim that isn't an attack? Of course it is.

Another comment on the ZxR sounding different, for headphone use where you make use of an AMP you could see a fair difference also. This is of course assuming that Creative didn't get around to fixing the issue with the headphone amp delivering its rated power.

11. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    My point was,were he said the STX2 comes out way on top. I'm saying there isn't enough difference between the cards to make someone just flinch at the difference. If your comparing a Prius to a Corvette,I can buy his statement. But when your comparing sound cards on the same tier,your not going to be blown a way going from a ZXR to and STX 2. It would be a sideways move. That's all I was saying.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    And how do you know? They have completely different components.

13. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    You really think the STX II is that much better sounding for the extra $200? Cmon.. And if you drop the daughter card on the STX II then your losing 7.1 which,plus still paying $50 more than the ZXR with the daughter card..

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    ZXR doesnt support 7.1. So yes, i think the STX is worth the $50 premium over a ZXR. If someone wants to spend another $100 on 7.1, then they have that option.

15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I forgot ZXR is 5.1.. Agent,I doubt your very subjective,seeing you own a Phoebus. I'm guessing your a sound blaster hater.. Let me guess,crappy drivers..lol

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Goes both ways you know. You're the only one over here attacking someone over their opinion, when you dont own either of the cards in question.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Dafuk did I miss this thread?

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Here

This forum still gives me the laughs. Some n00bs will never learn.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  19. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Both of them have op-amp sockets so it not like you couldn't get them both to sound close to each other if put like LME4990 in both. It really mainly about which of the two or 3 if you count the original ST that has the software features that you want or if you one of the few that uses 7.1. There no need to attack some one over their opinion, if you disagree just explain in a civil way without being rude and evil.

20. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I wasnt attacking the guy, but everyone that read his claim know its ludicrous. I just pointed it out is all. Those 2 cards are way too similar for one to blow the other out of the water. The hate for creative is getting ridiculous!