AMD Catalyst 13.1 (8.970.100.7000 November 16) Legacy Driver (closed, derailed)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jan 21, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Just like how not everybody needs to upgrade from Windows 2000 or XP or Linux Kernel 2.3 apparently.

If hardware is marked as legacy, it is usually older. But during the time it wasn't legacy, it had its fair share of updates, fixes, and etc. just like current cards. And at some point in the far future, the 6k and 7k series will also (most likely, unless AMD doesn't release anything else I guess) be marked as Legacy, either that, or stop receiving performance updates and etc.

Should AMD also be supporting the RAGE Pro too?

2. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    No of course they shouldn't, because you can't use a rage pro on modern operating systems unlike you can with the 4K series...

And that's why Rage Pro is not supported, because it makes absolute perfect common sense.

But having a 4K card in a Windows 7 or Windows 8 box able to play 99% of games out there...able to make use of aero and metro, isn't as ridiculous as it seems than trying to coax a rage pro to work on an AGP less motherboard above all else.

So..dropping drivers while this is still valid makes no sense...as well as supporting a 7K DX11 series card in Windows XP that is DX9 only also makes no sense. :)

Updated drivers are needed for cards in crossfire on modern games because caps are not a be and end all solution or you are completely stuffed unless your using a single card. So laptop IGP's also culled should be fine as well.

Nvidia seems to understand this concept, supporting cards *SPAM* back to 2004, but not the 1990's and Rage pro/Rage 128 days which is fair enough.

And btw the drivers didn't work properly for them either before they were left in the dust...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Single card configuration FTW :)

I like having the newest CCC.

4. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    For the Xpress 200M the latest driver that works I think is the 10.2. I have a 2005 XP laptop with that same card and that's what I'm using.

You really don't need anything newer because any games made after 2010 requiring optimizations will not be playable on that card anyway.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I guess that's a good point, not really sure what I would want in terms of a newer driver. It worked about as well as I expected to under Windows 8 even.

I guess this is also a good point, but then I'll use the 200M as an example. Latest drivers by AMD support only Vista, but they can be installed and used in 7 and 8 (probably server variants too). But this card is also long unsupported. Really not sure what else AMD can do to make that chip any better, that would really be worth their time (it works as good as I'd expect it too, but if I really want more performance, I obviously would just buy a newer card instead of expecting AMD to make it any better).

Is there actually some widespread performance issues, or issues in general still plaguing the 4k series that would warrant newer drivers?

6. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    Well, Mr kevs is having a lot of problems with his (crossfire) cards.

7. karnasw

karnasw Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7850 2GB
    For example i want working modern apps like music and photo. i want working hardware Acceleration in flash Firefox. I dont need better performance.

8. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    @ Everyone: Windows 8 works perfectly with the official AMD driver. I even have the music app running and the opengl thingy. This is my case.

[​IMG]

9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes the crossfire multigpu clocks on the second ASIC are stuck in 3D @ idle, burning up cards idle at the desktop, it's been this way in every driver since 12.2's atikmdag.sys.

And performance has gone backwards in all games progressively since 7K series were added to the driver code and the "texture optimisations" for 7K series.

And the vertex displacement mapping test rendering in your picture trocio2 above is still broken and showing a flat texture ever since catalyst 11.8 when it's fixed in my custom drivers even though I reported the issue oh what like over 6 months ago...

So working yes, perfectly, no, their practically the same as 12.6, with all the same bugs. Note my OpenGL/OpenCL version/s vs your "new" 13.1's for future reference. Enjoy the "new" 13.1's trocio2. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    I had that thing "fixed" (with the pretty vertex displacement -modded driver) but I don't care anymore. With 12.6 some of the opengl tests were broken but the new one is better. At least it shows something.

Your cards support opengl 3.2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Everything works here just dandy, and 5 opencl extensions exposed vs 3... :)

12. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    I don't use that crap anyway :)

I feel like a dinosaur lol

13. area2000

area2000 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Can someone PLEASE Mod the "real" 13.1 for the legacy products? Thx

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Mod them or rewrite the code, because it's actually missing ?

And that's too big a job...

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Bro you are complaining about a DX10 product so far out of date with todays software/hardware, not getting support. First off, I'd just like to say that while I understand that you may not "need" a new card, "nobody NEEDS anything but whats required to live now do they?", you must understand that a lot of software is just NOT compatible with your card now. It is not AMD's fault entirely.

Flash issues, and other software issues are caused by those developers using newer CODE, supported by newer HARDWARE. I still have my old 4870x2 in my closet, and it just does not cut it anymore with these new games. Just because its crossfire means nothing either. You can't expect HD 4 and under to perform like HD 5 and up. It's a whole new generation of architectures etc.

As I said before software, games etc, are built around these newer archs, be it DX9, 10, 11 or whatever they decide to use.

You say Nvidia has the right idea? Bro please understand, just because the driver installs on their old hardware, does not mean they receive fixes and mind shattering FPS improvements. Guess what? They don't. If you do not believe me, take a look at the release notes and see that MOST fixes are for the GTX 6 series, with a FEW still for GTX 5/4 series cards. Go ahead and take a look.

16. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    Ugh still at it? We just had huge massive holiday sales, why didn't you upgrade your ancient CFX to a GCN or Kepler already?

17. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    LOL :D . . A big Troll from AMD yet again.. :D

18. karnasw

karnasw Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7850 2GB

19. karnasw

karnasw Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7850 2GB
    Please run photo app and show me screen print.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    same 3D clockbug as 12.6 on win8 (fresh install) for 4870x2.
    [​IMG]

i also have this message when i restart or shutdown eachtime. (also had this witn 12.6 btw)

[​IMG]

have to check the .net installs though, i just installed win8. but shouldnt it be working ?? nope seems to be installed. WTF ??

Disabled CCC from taskmager bootup to prevent it , but it obviously needs to be fixed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.