A basic rig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scoter man1, May 20, 2013.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hi guys, I don't venture here to ask questions much since I generally track high end stuff pretty closely. Well, I finally convinced my dad that it's time for a new computer. (He's running an AMD Athlon 3200+ :bonk:). So I've got a general idea for what he should get, but I just wanted to run it passed you fellow gurus.

CPU - Amd A10-5800k
    Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-D3H
    Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws (2 x 4GB) 1600mhz

I'm debating which case he should get. I really would like to see it have air filters, so I'm thinking either an Antec 300 or CM HAF 912. I'd go with the 912 but I wanted to hear if any of you could vouch for it having filters. I've found reviews... but they don't really show the filters, or how easy it is to get at them.

Lastly, about what wattage of a psu will I need to throw in that thing? 400ish?

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Antec 300 is really great for a small humble setup. You'll have a small decent compartment to put the cables in and "manage" them. Airflow is a good, get a few front intakes as well.

If you want I can take a picture of the whole rig, so you can see how it is. :)

Yes, for PSU something 400ish 450ish is great. And cool avatar. :D

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Seems reasonable. Nothing wrong with the old XPs, though. My backup/old gaming rig uses one of those.

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yea, I like the look of the 300 just because I have a 1200... I figure its a mini me. The only thing that was turning me off was that I didn't see cable management like the 912 has. Anyways, thank you :nerd: link is awesome

Still would like to hear if anyone has/used a 912. Also, are Rosewill PSU's decent?

Last edited: May 20, 2013

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you decide to go with the Antec 300, get the 302 instead. Same to look at but with some decent updates, for the same price.

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Well, I would... but the antec 300 on n/e is 40 bucks the 302 is roughly 80. I could probably find an even better case for 80 bucks.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I would save some of that money and go A8-5600K because unless he's going to game a bit, it's pointless going A10-5800K since the difference between the two is the IGP in the APU.

deltatux

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I mean, money isn't really tight. I just figure I'll get him something that's a little overkill because, as you can see, I have a really hard time getting him to upgrade more than once per decade :3eyes:

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would go DDR3-2133, but that's just me :)

If waiting a month or two isn't an issue, I would get the new A10-6800K (or 6600K etc) instead, since it is just about to come out. If you don't overclock, the A10-6700 looks nice.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol alright but was just saying lol. Go with DDR3-2133 RAM then if you're gonna "deck it out" for him :p. The IGP performs a lot better with faster RAM (so does the CPU itself, but more noticeable with the IGP).

deltatux

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Would 2133 actually make a difference in comparison to 1600? I kinda think that is a little petty, haha. Additionally, Rosewill makes a decent psu right?

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    In graphics performance, yup it's noticeable, for CPU performance, not really, but if you benchmark then yup it's noticeable, in real world CPU, slightly more responsive but really it's for the graphics performance.

deltatux

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A10-6600K/6700/6800K with DDR3-2133 RAM would be nice!

14. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Well, Rosewill doesn't make PSUs. It's just a brand. The real manufacturers vary, and some Rosewill branded units are decent, others not so decent. Generally, Capstones, Tachyons and Fortresses are very good while Hives are alright, the rest are probably not good.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Just built my Mom a new desktop (her previous had windows 98 MC edition) used the corsair R200 very nice case I went intel 3220 i3 with a b75 mobo she loves it.

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Thank you for saying that. It ended up being a Capstone. Looked pretty good just from people's general responses.

Last question for anyone that would like to answer - Are there any monitors I should stay away from? Was thinking of having him buy this one.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I generally stay away from Acer since they normally don't last that long imo.

deltatux

18. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    I bought a 23" Acer panel, and it's just awful to look at... Those extra 30 or 40 bucks for a better brand make an enormous difference. The feedback on that 21.5" inch model looks great though, who knows.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm actually using this ASUS monitor and could not be happier with my purchase however they have gone down $10 since I bought mine.

20. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Great, thank you guys for your help. I'll recommend that one to him. Now I just gotta find a Windows 7 key :3eyes: