I think I got a bug

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by IchimA, Feb 15, 2017.

1. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Hy,

When trying to open any word or excel file ( even create new and open ) I got a warning from avast of a virus. It said something of IP 131.253.61.84 .

Tracked the IP it said it was from USA . trying to copy/paste into web browser toked me to login page of Microsoft. ??? off course I did not entered my login details but ... strange.

Now I am doing a full scan with avast and then will let malwarebytes have a scan .

P.s. I think there was also an antivirus that you can put on a cd and did a scan from it;s own operating system . Can't remember name.

What do you think !? Am I infected ? ( also .... just to say ... i did download something shady yesterday )

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    and what does scan return?

IP may be where microsoft sends telemetry data, in which case that would not be malicious.

3. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I'd start by deleting normal.dot from your profile and check if macros are disabled. And try again ;)

4. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Scan return are negative. What is the best program to search for a key logger? I had my Origin account stolen like 5 years ago . So I need to check for key logger also .

5. SombraGuerrero

SombraGuerrero Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    MalwareBytes is my goto scanner of malware and keyloggers and such. ClamAV is a nice and portable application. If you're really wanting to be thorough, you might also try a rootkit analyzer.

ARIN does identify this IP as belonging to Microsoft's offices in Redmond, which Bing Maps confirms is an actual place, so I would be inclined to believe this is a legitimate IP. Spoofing is always possible; you are wise to be cautious, but I think this is okay.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017