[GUIDE] Fixing video playback & overclocking problems.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by k1net1cs, Mar 7, 2012.

1. leucos

leucos Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080 / 8GB
    So some replies have been lost?

Anyways, I tried the fix and it works for 32 bit.
    But after a bit of fumbling around I found out you can also make it work for 64 bit applications by copying ativvsnl.dat and ativvsny.dat files from FunkyMike post in both %windir%\System32\ and %windir%\SysWOW64\ folders. Why is the fixer don't do that I don't know.

Tested:

• On Windows 8.1 and Catalyst Omega 14.12
      • WMP+EVR 32bit and 64bit
      • MPC-HC+madVR or EVR-CP 32bit (using LAV w/DXVA copy back)
      • Firefox+Flash 32bit
      • Firefox+HTML5 more on that below
      • IE11+HTML5/Flash 64bit
      • Modern Apps 64bit
      • OpenCL not tested but not crashing GPU-Z
    • On Windows 10 TP and Catalyst from WinUpdate
      • WMP+EVR 32bit
      • IE12+HTML5 (not sure)
      • Modern Apps 32bit/64bit
    In Firefox 36 there appears to be a bug that causes html5 videos to intermittently show black frames when played fullscreen, it doesn't happen every time tough. It might be related to MSE being enabled for YouTube only but I haven't searched that yet.

Lastly, it's my guess but I think it was all a DRM problem, maybe the notebook screen is wired strangely or IDK, ask Sony not AMD.
    Till video playback breaks again...

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I think so...unless what I remembered was my convo with Mike over PMs.

Yeah, that's part of what I discussed with Mike.

The Sony's official fix (that's officially only for Windows 8.x) actually does that, as in copying those files to SysWOW64 directory with its script.
    I already have copied those manually myself to that directory back then, before I tested 64-bit Firefox.

On Win7, LAV's DXVA native works just fine btw.
    Copy back was just a workaround before Catalyst 11.12 or 12.1 IIRC.
    The performance driver (11.11c) didn't have the fix for it.
    Unfortunately, said fix on 11.12 and 12.1 actually borked EVR unless Sony's patch (those two *.dat files) was applied.

Also, while it may work on Win8.x for 64-bit app, it just doesn't on Win7.
    The patch was officially intended for Win8.x anyway.

3. leucos

leucos Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080 / 8GB
    That's very unfortunate. At least it seems to work on Windows 10, if you'll want to upgrade...

Stupid question, have you already tried installing 14.12 without modifications or files from other driver versions after running DDU in safe mode and also making sure that you where using Windows basic video driver and not the one downloaded from Windows Update (easily done by going offline)?
    After that run the fix, make sure that the files are copied in all the location and also check the files permissions and owner (this happened to me the first time: Windows didn't use the files because it thought they came from the Internet).

DXVA copy-back is needed if you want to have soft subtitles or other post processing in your video. DXVA copy back can only connect directly to video renderers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Hmm so let me understand this properly.

The script is broken for Windows 7?

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No point in upgrading the whole OS just to fix something trivial that I already know its workaround.

Never used driver updates from Windows Update, always used DDU before installing or reverting drivers in Safe Mode, and the 14.12 I have now is vanilla with only those two *.dat files copied to both system32 and SysWOW64.

If Windows didn't recognize them, I'd still have problems with Flash hardware acceleration in 32-bit browsers.

I can display softsubs just fine with DXVA Native.

I always use the latest XySubFilter beta as an external filter for softsubs, which works well with madVR.
    XySubFilter was actually updated from xy-VSFilter mainly just to make it work properly with newer features of madVR, so EVR should work just fine with the older xy-VSFilter.

Also, both pre- and post-resize processing shaders work just fine using DXVA Native.
    I use the converted Vibrance for pre- and LumaSharpen for post- from SweetFX 1.4 code.
    Just tested MPC-HC's built-in Grayscale shader first in pre- and then in post- and yes, that worked as well.

No idea.
    And I think he meant Win8 since he doesn't seem to have tested it on Win7.

6. leucos

leucos Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080 / 8GB
    I figured it was a stupid question, sorry.

I don't know but here's what's happening to me after testing two different videos, one with subtitles and one without.
    Here is what LAV video decoder is reporting under active decoder:
    Code:
    HW Decoder to use setting    DXVA2 (native)    DXVA2 (copy-back)
    Video with soft subs         avccodec          dxva2cb
    Video without subs           dxva2n            dxva2cb direct
    avccodec means using software decoding. Again this is what's happening to me.

This is for Win8.1. The very first time I've run the script it didn't work: when trying to install the video playback fix I got four errors in the console window saying unable to find the file; after a reboot the video playback was still broken, so no fix was applied.
    After that I tried a simple fix: I copied the files inside the "\brand\sony\" folder in the same folder of ir_menu.exe; tried again and I got four messages saying 1 file was successfully copied, rebooted and only 32bit application video playback worked.
    So I checked if the files where in both System32 and SysWOW64 and found out they where only in the latter, so I copied the in System32. For now everything works fine.
    Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

7. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Might be a stupid question but did you run it with sys admin rights?

PS. If there is a real issue I will look at the script and fix it.

It should however normally work fine.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. leucos

leucos Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080 / 8GB
    Yes, it was run with admin rights.
    Anyways I tested the script again by uninstalling the video playback fix in safe mode and then installing again.
    Long story short, it appears there are two separate problems here:
    1. When installing the script doesn't look for the files in the right place, as I mentioned before, you need to copy the files in "brand\sony" in the same directory of "ir_menu.exe".
    2. For me, it works only for 32bit (both install and uninstall) so the files are deleted/copied only to the SysWOW64 folder, and I don't know why (the only thing that comes to mind is Windows is using some compatibility shims or similar to redirect any attempt to modify system32 to syswow64). This surely needs testing on a different system and different windows versions.
    Those are my guesses but I hope you can find them useful.

9. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

Thank you for the report. I will take a look at the script and see if we can improve it!

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm guessing the one with sub is in 10-bit and the one without is in the more common 8-bit.
    It's easy to distinguish using madVR, because pressing Ctrl+J will reveal whether said video is being encoded in 10-bit or not.

Try playing any h.264 fansub that uses softsubs but not encoded in 10-bit (which means older ones from around 2012 and under).
    LAV video decoder will show dxva2n.

Also, you need to keep in mind that h/w acceleration isn't available for all codecs, especially older, lightweight one like XviD.
    Try playing even older fansubs that's still hardsubbed and in .avi container using XviD codec...it'll show avcodec even though it doesn't have any subtitle to render.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

11. leucos

leucos Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080 / 8GB
    Both videos 720p and are using h264 8bit (high 3.1 profile with 6 ref frames), they aren't hi10p or hi444pp videos, nor xvid/other format. I checked them with mediainfo before testing.
    Shaders and other effects in MPC work with dxva enabled because they are applied directly in the renderer filter at gpu level.
    Thanks!

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Eh, I don't know what's wrong with your setup then.
    H/w acceleration works just fine with softsubs on Native on my end.

Maybe you're still using internal subtitle renderer?
    If you already use VSFilter or XySubFilter then you need to uncheck 'Use the built-in subtitle renderer' on Playback in MPC-HC Options.

It's kinda weird the presence of softsubs can affect how the video decoder works.
    The decoder only decides whether it'll use h/w acceleration or not for decoding based on the video stream it gets from the splitter.

Here's a screenshot of MPC-HC playing back fansub using softsubs @1080p, 8-bit h.264.

http://tinypic.com/r/svna6p/8

Well, you were the one who told me that I needed Copy Back for post-processing; evidently not the case since with Native it works just fine.
    Unless you were talking about some other post-processing that I don't use.

13. leucos

leucos Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080 / 8GB
    I don't know either but I suspect it's because I am using the filters repacked in the k-lite cp, I will try to uninstall it and install everything separately when I have time. Anyway it's not that important and kinda OT, so let's close here, but it's good to know that you can use native for soft sub too.
    Regarding the postprocessing thing, I was referring to the options in ffdshow where you could set things like sharpen, denoise, transform, etc. all done in software.

14. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nah, it's fine; it's my thread anyway. :p

I kinda suspect it's from using a codec pack.
    Not that there's anything wrong with using codec packs, it's just that it means I really depend on the pack devs to set things up for me...which I don't really like. =/

Get a 32-bit vanilla MPC-HC.
    Then get madVR and XySubFilter.
    Just click the link on the top of the thread for madVR, and use the 32-bit Preview release for XySubFilter.
    madVR and XySubFilter require manual installation, but it's nothing rocket science; just read their ReadMe files.

Here's a rough guide for madVR settings.

[​IMG]

I can help you set things up via PM if you want to.

Oh, those...wow, that brings back memories.

Haven't used those for ages; that was when I still use vanilla ffdshow builds back then.
    Now it's easier to just use MPC-HC shaders, and it's h/w-accelerated as well.
    Also, with madVR, you don't really need sharpen or transform filters anymore since madVR up and downscale quite fine by itself.

15. hilow321

hilow321 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RADEON HD 6520G+7600
    Hi, my laptop is an Acer Aspire 5560G upgraded to windows 10. GPU is is AMD Radeon HD 5560G + AMD Radeon HD 7600M. CCC 15.20-150602a-184724E.

I am getting green screen on flash videos, should I use this script/fix?

16. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    No one will able to tell you unless you try.

17. hilow321

hilow321 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RADEON HD 6520G+7600
    Thanks! I think the fixed worked. Even with hardware acceleration turn on in flash settings, I am not getting a green screen anymore!

However, I had to disable "Early Launch Anti-Malware Drivers" in the boot options or else I would get into an infinite BSOD restart loop.

blog.doohelp.com/steps-to-enabledisable-early-launch-antimalware-protection-in-windows-8/
    I found this guide and set the policy to boot start all drivers to disable it permanently.

Now, I just need to check if hardware acceleration is really working.

Edit: Confirmed everything is working!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015