GPU Monitor Gadget 2.0 Released

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stangowner, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX 3060Ti
    It makes perfect sense, and I 'fixed' it that way now. Thank you very much. :D Sorry for askin, I should've read the instructions in the first place, instead of just glancing over them...:bang:

Best regards, Darkje

2. Vomit

Vomit Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 7970 Vapour-X

That is looking good already, I am impressed you have done so much in sutch a short space of time. I'm glad you feel its worthy of your time and efforts, I like your idea of having a beer by the Poolside while monitoring your system, no such plans for me though, just want to keep an eye on my system during game sesions and had a pda lying about and thought i would give the sideshow thing a look, hardly any gadgets for it at the moment that are of much use, already i think yours is probably the most usefull one so far.

3. lenne

lenne Guest

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    this is soo awesome, thanks mate :) one feature im missing is to create "presets" so users could exchange their custom gpu mon appearance settings, or just save and switch between them, that would be great :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  4. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    The gadget supports saving/using 10 different preferences. Its controlled by the instance number on the top of the general tab. The only restriction is you have to have one gadget running instance 0.

So for instance, if you want to run multiple gadgets, you open your first gadget and configure it as needed. Then add a 2nd gadget, open the options and change the instance number to 1 and configure as needed. You can repeat this 8 more times for a total of 10 gadgets.

If you only want to run 1 gadget, but just want to be able to save and change the look whenever you want, then you do this instead. Configure your first gadget as needed leaving it as instance 0. When you want to change the look, just change the instance to another number (like 1) and hit OK. This will save the settings out as that number. Then you can change back to 0 and reconfigure the look. When you want to return to the first setup, just save your existing settings out as number 2 by selecting that and hitting OK. Then enter the settings again, select instance 1 and click load. This will load the previous settings again. Then change it to 0 so it can run stand-alone.

This may sound a little confusing.....but its really not. When you click OK in the settings, it saves the current values to the current instance number. When you click load, it reads the settings from the selected instance. And you just have to ensure that one of the active gadgets is instance 0.

Hope this clarifies the procedure.

- Nick

5. DFlame

DFlame New Member

GPU:
    BFGeforce 9800 gtx+ 512MB
    GPU Monitor stopped working

Hi,
    You really made a great gadget here so thanks. Anyways though, for me it has stopped working. It's displaying false information or something and no error messages or anything whether Rivatuner is running or not. Here's a couple of screenshots:

gpumonitor01.jpg
    gpumonitor02.jpg

I've tried rebooting, closing and opening the gadget, closing and restarting Rivatuner, killing the GPUMonitor.exe process and restarting the gadget again. No luck

I would appreciate any help, thanks.

6. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Can you please zip these and send them to the email address listed in the about tab of the gadget config?
    1. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor
    2. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\GPUMonitor.log

Then close the gadget, delete that folder and file, and reopen the gadget. Let me know if it starts working properly.

Thanks,

Nick

EDIT: I got your email and will look at it shortly.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  7. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Everything with your files seem to be working fine. Here is the gadget on my machine with your files

[​IMG]

This was working fine before? And just stopped working? Did anything happen in between (system crash, etc)?

Perhaps you can try to uninstall the gadget (right click in the add a gadget window). Then delete the file & folder again and reboot. Then download the gadget (from gallery.live.com or guru3d.com only) again and install it.

I have seen instances where deleting those files does not clear cache properly. I'm not sure why as I have never had it happen to me personally. Perhaps M$ is tracking it in the C:\Windows\Prefetch\SIDEBAR.EXE-BA7094F6.pf file. Maybe try deleting that too.

Let me know how you make out. There are a few other things we can try if needed.

8. DFlame

DFlame New Member

GPU:
    It's working again

After deleting the C:\Windows\Prefetch\SIDEBAR.EXE-BA7094F6.pf file,
    • uninstalling GPU Monitor from the sidebar menu,
    • deleting GPU Monitor files from AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\GPUMonitor.gadget
    • and AppData\Local\GPUMonitor
    • Cleaning my Harddrives
    • Deleting all temporary files for the System and User
    • then reinstalling GPU Monitor

It works again.
    I suspect it has something to do with the temporary files since some of their locations were moved because my boot system partition is smaller than my main drive partition

- Thanks for the help, great gadget

is it possible to have an option to change it's overall size :)

9. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for letting me know...glad you made out OK.

The gadget saves its settings in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\GPUMonitor folder. I copy/replace/edit/delete these files dozens of times every week while developing, and never have a problem with the Sidebar cache. But you are not the first user to have this problem. I assume it is the prefetch....but am not sure.

The gadget reads the files, or creates them if they do not exist. I would think deleting them would cause them to no longer be there.....but somehow the information is retained and the sidebar is serving it to the gadget.......ODD!

Anyways, I've thought about an adjustable size as well. The height is calculated based on the number of monitors you have and their display type. But it would be nice if you have Win7 or are floating it in Vista to be able to adjust the width and/or font size. Its not that easy with all the various display style available. I'm not planning on including something for the next release, but perhaps in the future.

- Nick

10. DFlame

DFlame New Member

GPU:
    I think Slide Show on Win 7 had different size options.

11. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    Sideshow support would be greatness. The Logitech G19 can display them.

12. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I'd like to give you guys an update on the SideShow support.

First, let me just mention the approach I am using. Microsoft allows Sidebar Gadgets to extend support to SideShow. This was a natural fit to the existing gadget, and does not require a lot of development on my part. However, there are some limits to using this approach. Perhaps in the future I'll write a native stand-alone SideShow Gadget using the more feature rich APIs, but it is not on the top of my project list at the moment. So for now, you must run the Sidebar Gadget for SideShow support.

This is the same for the G19 keyboard. I am not using Logitech's API directly. But this keyboard does support SideShow gadgets, so you should be able to run this there with very similar results. Unfortunately, the G19 LCD emulator does not register as a SideShow device, so without an actual keyboard (I have a G15) I can not test it. Again, perhaps I'll write something in the future, but no immediate plans. Or maybe Unwinder will beat me to it :)

Anyways, here are the details of where I am now. Given the limitations of this approach (Sidebar-to-SideShow), I feel this is about as complete as I can make it at the moment. So unless you guys need something specific, I think I'm about done on this enhancement and will finish up my last task for version 2.2. If you want to beta test this, send me a PM with an email address.

First, you open the gadget configuration and enable the SideShow output on the General tab. Then select a display style (only 3 available - and all monitors will use this style). I could add the ability to use different display styles per monitor, but did not want to invest the development at this time. If you would really like this ability, let me know and I'll add it.

[​IMG]

Using the advanced tab, you can select which monitors to output to the SideShow. So for instance, if you have 30 monitors in the gadget, you can select just a few to go to the SideShow device. Note: I may move this to a central list like the current display filter before release - not sure yet.

[​IMG]

Now click OK in the gadget settings dialog, and you will see a notification for the new SideShow gadget (if notifications are enabled).

[​IMG]

Next, enable the gadget for the particular device you want to use it on. The instance number for the Sidebar Gadget is used to enable multiple SideShow configurations.

[​IMG]

Note: In all display styles, the monitors are buttons you can select to view the particular details. These values also refresh with the gadget, allowing you to keep a close eye on 1 monitor in particular. Selecting OK will return you to the main monitor screen.

Here is the "Icon/Text" option on a touch-screen emulator.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here is the "Icon/Text w/Min Max" option on a horizontal emulator.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And here is the "Bars" option on a vertical emulator.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

A few other things worth noting. The bars are using fixed colors, but do respect the color change intervals. So it is <70% green, 71-80% yellow, 81-90% orange and 91-100% red. They do not use the various text colors (text color is the device default), but do use the icon for the monitor.

Let me know what you think.

- Nick

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  13. Vomit

Vomit Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 7970 Vapour-X
    Its looking good and looking forward to trying it out soon.

14. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I finally got around to getting it running on my phone with bluetooth using SideShow for Windows Mobile. Here are 2 pics, GPU on red theme and CPU on blue. The pictures aren't that good, but you get the idea.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    For me it's TMI but great job stang !

16. Vomit

Vomit Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 7970 Vapour-X
    I have been using this for about a week now, its very useful and beats the hell out of peering at tiny text on my g15 whilst playing games.
    I have had hardware issues and although it didn’t tell me what it was, it did tell me what it wasn’t.
    The display is clear and can be read easily out the corner of your eye. Also has the advantage of keeping its last values on the display in the event of a crash, no need to go trawling through temperature log files ect after the event.

Also the mobility of the thing, it can be used as far away as the Bluetooth will allow, so you can see when the pc has finished encoding a video or other intensive tasks from a different room, no more running up and down the stairs to see if its finished yet.

You have done a great job on this mate, thankyou for your efforts.

17. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for the feedback Vomit. Its nice that SideShow gadgets just stop updating when they lose their source, but they do keep the current data available. This could be valuable, not just for troubleshooting hardware issues, but even for examing the status of your PC when you are finding the limits of your OC and causing your PC to crash during those 24 hour torture tests :eek:

RivaTuner has a lot of hardware display options. You have the hardware monitoring window itself, Systray, OSD, G15, Sidebar gadget, and now SideShow devices. That is quite a variety, and should satisfy most everyone. In fact, maybe I'm just slow, but I just realized something else so I figured I'd mention. The sidebar has an option to always be on top (if floating in Vista or always in Win7). So if your game supports running in windowed mode and gives you the abilitiy to hide the window border (World or Warcraft, for instance), then you can still run full screen and use the sidebar gadget as a mini OSD. Just give it a little transparency :)

I do have 2 quick question for everyone though.
    1. Does anyone have a G19 keyboard that would be willing to test the SideShow addition so I can find out if it works and/or if anything needs to be changed?
    2. If I were to develop a client/server solution that would take the hardware monitoring status and post it to a secure web server so you could login and view your hardware status from any PC/device with a web browser, would anyone use it? Or should I be checking myself into a mental ward? :bonk:

Lastly, I just wanted to thank everyone for all the ideas and feedback over the past few months. This gadget has come a long way since its original 1.0 version back in February. In fact, we just broke 250,000 downloads (M$+guru3d) a few days ago. We also made it into the 2nd page of the most downloaded "Tools and Utilities" section of the sidebar gallery (#40 of 720 gadgets) and the 5th page of all gadgets (#85 of 3548 gadgets).

Thanks,

Nick

EDIT: On the client/server thing....or maybe more of an online database so you can compare OC/temps/etc with other RivaTuner users in the world to see what others do with the same model card?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  18. Trollgaard

Trollgaard New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 1GB SLi
    I do

I have just got the g19 and was looking for an app that actually was useful. I do not have alot of time on my hands for betatesting intensively, but I'll be more than happy to help a little by testing it for normal use. The rivatuner app was automagically installed with the drivers, but I only get it to show information after a full reboot. And if I as much as press one of the directional buttons, I end up with the nice Riva Tuner logo with no info and no possibilities for changing settings. Pass me a beta if you wish, and I'll
    test around when I have the time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  19. Stratisphere

Stratisphere New Member

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce 9500
    im dunno why my sidebar doesnt display fan speed and fan duty cycle and other cool things shown in the examples in the instruction tab. on my general tab, im only able to display rop, shaders, memory clock and core temperature.. am i missing something? thx

20. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Did you watch the tutorials I mentioned in my reply in the other thread?