hissing/humming sound coming out of speakers in new build, interference?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by bballfreak6, Jul 26, 2013.

1. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hi guys wonder if anyone can help

built a new system with 4770k and asus z87 deluxe, migrated my creative titanium hd from old pc to new one

noticed electronic whining/hissing/humming noises coming of speakers when for example dragging windows, hovering mouse over links, webpages loading etc, basically when "something is happening" if that makes any sense, my guess is interference of some sort but can't determine what, what's even more weird is that the sound is coming out of speakers but when i use my headphones problem goes away it's clean as anything

my titanium hd currently has the stock 49710 opamp replaced with robscix's metal can version and jrc211d with dip8 op2107

card is connected to a nano patch+ passive attentuator then to my pair of yamaha hs50m studio monitor

headphone is connected from the card to the jds objective amp then to my shure 1440 headphoines

this afternoon everything was still working fine on my old rig before changing my card across over to the new one...

any help would be much appreciated, this is driving me nuts lol

TIA

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Check all cables, restart computer, make sure all drivers installed correctly

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    yea everything seems correct as far as i can see

i noticed the it's quite literally when something is happening on desktop when it makes sound, like for example i am installing a program and when the install progress bar pops up and the speaker makes extra noise as it loads, or like i said when i earler when some loads like webpage, seems like soundcard/speaker is picking up everything the computer is doing, not sure if this is making any sense lol

4. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I have heard something like this before with my equipment, when you move the mouse, does it make the noise too? It's probably a grounding issue or could even be a computer virus :( Check everything.

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    it's a brand new install with basically nothing on it and i installed avast straight away so doubt it's virus, i was just in bios before and even in there when i move mouse i can hear sound as i move mouse cursor, how do i check grounding? again i find it so weird that only the speakers are affected but the headphone is not :-/

6. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    If u hear it in bios, It must be a hardware issue.

Check grounding by holding the cables plugged in at the soundcard, try moving them a bit and see if the noise stops. If it does, I would suggest new cables. What speakers/AV equipment are you running there?

Edit: just read, yamaha studio monitors. Well, try turning the cables a bit and see if the noise dips or stops.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  7. feared

feared Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770
    It's either EMI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference) or Coil-whine/PSU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise).

It can be EMI if you have things that normally arent near your computer generating alot of power.
    It can be Coil-Whine if you hear a low pitched squeal, then as your video card/psu has more load put on it it sounds like a racecar lol

Im speaking from experience but it only really happened in games.

Either you'll have to replace your video card :\ or replace your power supply. I replaced my PSU

Youtube and google "Coil Whine" and see if thats what you have. =) Good luck

8. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Take a hot glue gun to the coils and ground your pc chassis.

9. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    thanks for the reply guys, will have to try a few things after work today (10 hours, *sigh*)

also say it is coil whine, it's a brand new corsair ax860 psu and gigabyte gtx770, if it was in fact caused by them does that mean they are faulty? also why would it only affect the speakers but not the headphone?

10. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Another thing worth trying is to mute every input and output you're not using. Not sure if it will help but it don't hurt either

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    which pcie 1x slot are you using?

Check manual and pick the one that has the least IRQ shares. Im using pcie 1x_3 slot and i didnt notice anything like that.

Also try to reinstall the latest SB driver, just overwrite it

12. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hi Tj, i've tried the one right underneath the 2nd pci-e 16x, also the very bottom pci-e 16x (black) slot, same problems with both :(

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And the one above gpu?
    [​IMG]

Did you disable onboard audio and gpu audio hdmi too? Also did you test the mouse in other usb ports? (first 3 black below wifi go)

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Can't use top one coz of the opamp I am using also the cooler is in the way

I did disable onboard audio, when you say disable hdmi audio you mean the one on video card? I did goto device manager and disable "HD audio" if that's what you meant

15. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    well some update

i tried unplugging my gpu, problem still there, so at least i can say it's not gpu

tried plugging sound card back to old pc, noticed whining/static sound too now

so makes me wonder, could it possibly be the card itself or even the cable, i am pretty sure it never used to happen in the old pc but it's happening now, also as i said earlier it only happens through the speakers but NOT through the headphones, is it correct to think that if it's coil whine or interference it should actually occur both through speakers and headphones?

16. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Sounds like the card has something not seated properly, make sure all addons are plugged in properly and all components are installed properly.
    Try putting the original components back in...

17. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hey ragdoll, yea i tried pulling out the opamps and putting them back in, same problem, gonna try as you suggested putting the stock opamps back in later

18. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    tried changing opamps, still no good

noticed something else tho, even when pc is off there is still a feint buzzing sound, but when i turn off the PSU completely (switch at the back) the noise is completely gone

does that extra info add anything?

19. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    PSU has to be replaced, coil whine :( Happened to me too, changed the psu to something else and no coil whine

regards,
    ragDoll.

20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    thanks ragdoll, when u say psu has to be replaced do you mean a different unit of same model or completely different model?