Core i7 3770K & 3750 review with Z77 DZ77GA-70K mobo [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I was hoping IB would bring the 5ghz avg oc and do it with less heat and voltage. I`ll pass, maybe a new revision will do this

2. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Probably, but i ain't waiting that long, next week i'll probably grab a i7 2700k with the same mobo+ram combo (z77+ddr3 1866).

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    hardocp needed real h20 to get to 4.8-4.9. guessing all these are retail and not es.

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Great review as always, Hilbert.

The performance seems to be as expected with around 5% improvement over SB, but genuinely surprised at temps going out of control at voltages above 1.35v with most forms of cooling below high-end water.

Some reviewers seem to suggest that it might be a good idea to look for 2500k/2600k/2700k chips which are known to overclock well rather than buying IB. I can see where the reviewers are coming from as 4.5Ghz is pretty much guaranteed on SB but looks like it'll be on the higher end of the scale for IB.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    More evolution rather than revolution as usual with new CPUs. But the increased energy efficiency is always nice.

6. Lebowski

Lebowski Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Zotac
    Pci-e 3.0?

Hilbert,

Great review. I was surprised to see you using a GTX 580 as that card is PCI-E 2.0.

Any chance we'll get some comparative scores of a PCI-E 3.0 card like the GTX 680 on the new platform? It would give a real world indication as to whether it makes any difference on current high end tech.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Very nice chips.

I´m dying to buy one of those but i´ve to control myself because the situation in Portugal isn´t pretty right now...

About the overclocking results, it´s not the first time Guru 3d has showed better OCs than other sites, the same happened with the 3820, if i´m not mistaken. Maybe Hilbert is a better overclocker than most or he´s simply more lucky!:roll:

Great review as always!

8. volors

volors Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Thanks for the review HH.

Intel is going from 32nm > 22nm , i think ivy isnt that bad at all as 95% fo the user aint gonna overclock. And as usual People aint gonna be happy with anything new.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I bet more than 95% who buy the k chips will overclock

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

anyone else notice their wei cpu scores drop, lmao.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    We all know it wont make any difference for quite some time.
    They covered that by stating it is for future generations of "extreme" gaming cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-3770k-and-3750-review-with-z77/7

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    This new chip has big issues thx to the new tri-gate transistor. They should have kept this tech in the labs and worked on it until Haswell. Not release a problem chip. But i guess we (the guineea pigs) have to suffer in order to evolve.
    After all there's not any significant performance gain.

13. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Personally, I wouldn't say that Ivy Bridge is a problem and that we're suffering. Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are still awesome. Ivy Bridge is just marginally better than Sandy Bridge, though, and we did expect more. At least it's not a setback like Bulldozer was. I certainly won't buy a motherboard ahead of time again.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Wait for new revision, or keep close to stock voltage

http://hwbot.org/newsflash/1685_why...nger_and_bad_clocker___immatured_22nm_process

Maybe you know, Ivy Bridge are around the corner. Maybe you knows too, they are worst clocker then Sandy Bridge. We know why ...

As you know, Intel is with the 22nm production late. Production is not good, and there are big problems with the chips. The original "on paper" concept of 22nm chip with Tri-gate transistors is extremely low supply voltage. But, with current revisions Intel can not keep voltage in planned values. This is a problem. The chips have a higher voltage than planned, broadly comparable with Sandy Bridge. And that's wrong.

Tri-gate transistor needs to switch to a lower voltage. But for a correct recognition of the I/O status needs more current than planar transistor. Three-gate area is greater than one-gate and the current is several times higher than in Sandy Bridge chips. When Intel reach a planned low voltage, everything will be fine. Lower voltage means acceptable currents, less leakage and a great consumption. Unfortunately, it does not meet the current "E1" revision.

Current 22nm chips have high voltage, higher than they should have. The values are similar to Sandy Bridge chips. Properly should be the default voltage below 1V and it is not now. But Ivy Bridge needs a lower voltage, at the same voltage as Sandy Bridge consumption and temperature is significantly higher due to higher currents in the chip.

Basic Ivy Bridge idle voltage is above 1V, higher than Sandy Bridge. The load voltage is lower than that of Sandy Bridge and consumption is lower, but temperatures are higher. If the Ivy Bridge voltage increases, consumption and temperatures extremely jumps up. This problem can be solved only by improving the production, so maybe its time for another revision. Indeed it may be a potential problem in laptops with the highest third-generation Core i7 models.

In the desktop this problem occur with less overclocking than Sandy Bridge and significantly higher power consumption and temperatures. If you have a nice 5GHz + Sandy Bridge, keep it for now. Ivy Bridge ends with overclocking on the air somewhere around 4.6 to 4.7 GHz. But slightly lower overclocking then Sandies compensates higher performance per clock, so it is not a major problem.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Actually all review samples are ES cpus, stated in some other review i read. they said its likely to improve a slight bit or not at all with retail cpus.

16. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    meh. i expected what you see here. SB is missing a key component that i'm sure adds to tbe heat... a graphics processor. Also no competition means easier market manipulation.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    you mean IGP? SB also has an IGP?

18. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    does it? if so is in tbe same class?

19. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The IGP isn't doing anything in this case.

Also, Sandy has an IGP as well.

20. ta_rami

ta_rami Guest

GPU:
    xfx hd 6950 2gb ddr5
    So the Core i5 3570 is better than the i7 2600k???.