PC - What should I change?

Discussion in 'Hardware Reviews and News' started by djassat, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    Hello

Here is specifaction of my computer:

Motherboard:
    Typ procesora DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6320, 1866 MHz (7 x 267)
    Nazwa płyty głównej Asus P5VD2-MX (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
    Mikroukład płyty głównej VIA P4M890
    Pamięć fizyczna 2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    DIMM1: GoodRAM GR800D264L5/1G 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
    DIMM3: GoodRAM GR800D264L5/1G 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
    Typ BIOS'u Award (04/30/07)
    Port komunikacyjny Port komunikacyjny (COM1)
    Port komunikacyjny Port drukarki ECP (LPT1)

Video:
    Karta wideo ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (512 MB)
    Karta wideo ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (512 MB)
    Akcelerator 3D ATI Radeon HD 4670 (RV730)
    Monitor HP 2009 [20" LCD] (3CQ9074DYD)

Multimedia:
    Karta dźwiękowa Analog Devices AD1986A @ VIA VT8237A High Definition Audio Controller
    Karta dźwiękowa ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV710/730/740 - High Definition Audio Controller

Magazine:
    Kontroler IDE VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571
    Kontroler IDE VIA Serial ATA Controller - 5337
    Storage Controller JMicron JMB36X Controller
    Dysk fizyczny Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
    Dysk fizyczny Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
    Dysk fizyczny Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
    Dysk fizyczny Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
    Dysk fizyczny Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 ATA Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
    Napęd dysków optycznych TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M ATA Device (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:18x/8x, DVD-RW:18x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
    Status dysków SMART OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 298.0 GB (239.4 GB wolne)
    Rozmiar całkowity 298.0 GB (239.4 GB wolne)

Input Devices:
    Klawiatura Urządzenie klawiatury HID
    Mysz Mysz Logitech HID Cordless Mouse+
    Mysz Mysz zgodna z HID

Karta sieciowa VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Karta sieciowa ZTE ZXDSL 852

External devices:
    Drukarka Fax
    Drukarka Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    Drukarka Wyślij do programu OneNote 2010
    Kontroler USB1 VIA VT8237A USB Universal Host Controller
    Kontroler USB2 VIA VT8237A USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    Urządzenie USB ADSL Modem USB
    Urządzenie USB Klawiatura bezprzewodowa USB Logitech
    Urządzenie USB Mysz bezprzewodowa USB Logitech i klawisze iTouch Keys
    Urządzenie USB Urządzenie kompozytowe USB
    Urządzenie USB Urządzenie pamięci masowej USB
    Urządzenie USB Urządzenie wejściowe USB

DMI:
    DMI: producent BIOS'u Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    DMI: numer wersji BIOS'u ASUS P5VD2-MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1017
    DMI (system): producent PC-Factory
    DMI (płyta główna): producent ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    DMI (płyta główna): nazwa P5VD2-MX
    DMI (płyta główna): numer wersji 1.XX
    DMI (płyta główna): numer seryjny 123456789000
    DMI (obudowa): producent Chassis Manufacture
    DMI (obudowa): numer wersji 1111
    DMI (obudowa): numer seryjny EVAL
    DMI (obudowa): metka środka trwałego 123456789000
    DMI (obudowa): typ Desktop Case
    DMI (pamięć): całkowita liczba / liczba wolnych gniazd2 / 0

http://img834.imageshack.us/i/82223467.jpg/

What should I change?

Budget to 200 $

2. Alex.NS

Alex.NS Member Guru

GPU:
    POV GTX 465
    Hmm depends what do you want to do with your pc?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    For the best gaming experience, you need much faster CPU, faster gfx card and 3GB minimum system ram.

Adding 1 stick of 1GB ram will halve the memory bandwidth as it will go into single channel mode.
    Filling 2 or 4 memory banks will definitely use dual channel mode if each pair is identical.
    So its preferable to add another 2x1GB memory or replace your memory with 2x2GB.

I dont know which CPUs your motherboard can really support so recommendations are difficult.
    You likely wont get the correct info by going to the motherboard mfrs specs web page as they generally only show which CPUs were supported at release.
    However, checking the BIOS update page should tell which CPUs have been added.
    There may be even more compatible CPUs as well.

What PSU have you got?
    What resolution are you using?
    What do you need the upgrade for?

4. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    Unfortunately, I don't have possibility to buy additional RAM memory chips, because I only have two free slots.

I don't know what is my type of power supply. But I think that this is not a brand-name power supply (computer bought in 2007) and average.

I think that this motherboard fit into my computer:

http://allegro.pl/asus-p5kr-p35-775-gw-i1202709046.html

In attachment I put a report from Everest to the full specifications of my computer.

Resolution, which I use is 1600 X900.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Why do you want to upgrade?

You may get away with 2GB ram but you should find ways of minimising ram use by Windows and other programs.
    You might need to close all programs to run certain games, even then you may have stutters if memory is paged.
    You can tell in task manager which programs are the heaviest memory users.

From the information I have found so far it looks like there is no quad core support on your motherboard and you are restricted to 65nM.
    So the best CPU is a high clocked dual core, Core 2 E6xxx series or the Core 2 Extreme 6800 (X6800).
    If you can overclock to 3.2GHz you will get almost the best out of even todays faster cards (GTX480, 5870).

For a good overclock you will want to upgrade the CPU cooler or just go for the best you can get with the stock cooler if you have no money, upgrade later.
    Beware that not all CPUs come with a cooler, you need to get the 'boxed' CPU not the 'OEM'. This doesnt matter if you are going to buy a better cooler.

Your board has a PCI-E x16 slot so no problems there.

Without knowing what PSU you have, its not possible to tell you if its safe.
    It 'might' be ok but overclocking can also overload the PSU, you dont want to do that!
    You risk killing your PC if the PSU dies.

Take a look at how much the X6800, E6600 or E6700 CPUs cost where you live.
    For DX10 support take a look at the price of NVidia GTX260-216, GTX275, ATI 4850, 4870 and 4890 cards.
    For DX11 support, NVidia GTS450, GTS440, ATI 5770, 5750.

6. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    I would like to update, because current hardware configuration does not allow me to play on full detail such as GTA IV. I have to apply the settings low, because otherwise the game stutters terribly. Therefore, I would like to be able to play with the graphics card on average detail, preferably on high. Hence my question, what components should be replaced.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah.

GTA IV is one of the most CPU intense games and really needs a quad core or a high clocked dual core to get the best.
    It needs a gfx card with over 1.3GB ram to max its settings at 1080p, you might just get away with max settings at your resolution if you dont use AA.
    I imagine it will need more than 2GB total system ram to avoid stuttering but I havent tested what happens with 2GB, its worth investigating.

Take a look here to see the impact of different CPUs.
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...ark-review-with-13-processors/Reviews/?page=2
    The fastest CPU you can use is the X6800 running at 2.93GHz, this is a bit slower than the E6850 score.
    Note this is 1280 res so framerate will be a bit slower at your res.

Its possible to make it run pretty nice, the only issues look to be if you have enough system ram and if your PSU is good enough

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    I have 2 GB RAM and my PSU isn't bad I think. What should I do to improve performance?

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    See post #5

10. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    So I think the best solution would be to buy a new computer.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah really unless you are totally cash strapped.

12. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    The question is where is the boundary between the latest games with demanding graphics and new games with graphics optimized. The point is that the PES 2011 graphics and so will not be demanding enough that I need to change the graphics card and improve my hardware configuration. However, in Call of Duty: Black Ops probably will not be able to set the highest detail, since the requirements will be larger. The question, therefore, what should I do? Should I buy a new computer or stick with the current settings?

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can easily upgrade to the minimum specs for Call of Duty: Black Ops but the recommended and high end specs arent known yet.
    Its probably going to be a bit higher than Modern warfare 2 so an upgrade is possible.
    2GB ram though...

14. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    Could you give me a model of the motherboard and other components that these components fit into my hardware specifications?

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I did in post 5, I mentioned the parts to consider and that you should check how much you can get them for.
    I assumed you are keeping your motherboard, memory and PSU and you are upgrading your CPU and gfx card.

Upgrading the motherboard to use faster socket 775 CPUs isnt the best use of money unless you get a good second hand deal.
    The price of the older socket 775s fast CPUs is way too high if you can still find them new.
    You are better off investing that kind of money in i5 unless you get a good deal.
    Be aware when buying second hand stuff that they might be being sold because they are damaged or broken, you need to be careful who you buy from.

16. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    I think the best solution would be to buy a new computer for about 1 5 years. But I have a question about the laptop. I like computer games, but I heard that good latop intended for this to cost around $ 3000. Is it true? And what do you think about it?

I have a question about this motherboard, which passed the link. What do you think about buying it?

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm not sure what you said.
    Do you mean you want a computer to last for 1 year, 1.5 years, 15 years or something else?

Buying a laptop for gaming is an expensive business.
    Performance isnt near that of a desktop, you cant upgrade it, gaming laptops overheat easier and they are a target for thieves.
    imo a waste of money, play games at home.

Regarding the motherboard, Asus P5KR:
    While it is stated it runs crossfire, it has a PCI-E x16 and PCI-E x4 which will matter if you decide to crossfire fast cards. Slower cards are not so bad. Ignore if you never intend to use Crossfire.
    Other than that, it looks like a nice motherboard that supports 45nM and quad core CPUs.
    It is the RAID version. If buying new, the P5K should be cheaper.
    It has pretty normal issues, this thread will help you understand
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...700500&board_id=1&model=P5Q-E&page=1&count=22
    ie the bios version might affect your stability as well as some Asus specific settings in the BIOS setup.
    It should be fine if you set it up well.

This is assuming your PSU is ok.
    If it is not, you may never get your system stable.
    How many Watts is the PSU and how many Amps can it supply on 12v?
    How old is the PSU?

Something to consider, memory doesnt overclock as well if using more than 2 memory dimms.
    So if you add another 2x1GB, it might cause you a problem with your overclock.
    If you are looking for a high overclock, its better to have 2x2GB memory.

18. djassat

djassat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4600 512 MB
    It's simple. I don't know what to do - buy new computer or stay with this.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Save for a new PC :)
    Hang on as long as you can stand.

20. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    I dont want to be rude, but.. did you ever thought about getting a pc racing wheel?
    Your pc could run at very high settings dirt2 dirt 3 and other racing games... Or you are not into racing?

I myself my whole life was upgrading pc parts one by one, or many at once, but i never tried having pc wheel.Very recently i was also hooked up to upgrade my pc by getting something new to it, but for the first time i though, no.. lets get the damn wheel. :)

P.S. i cannot give my feedback on wheel since im still waiting for it, it should arrive next week, then i could share my impressions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.