ECS Durathon motherboard technology

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ECS introduces Durathon, a set of features to improve the quality of its motherboards. Durathon from Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) exclusively delivers a hassle free computing experience by solvi...

ECS Durathon motherboard technology

2. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Well, why not.

3. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Well really? What about PC's with 10yrs plus that still running, not to speak about other electronic appliances, with cheap electrolytic capacitors...

4. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    that sounds about right if you never power cycle them they will dry out most PC's aren't left running for 10yrs at a time infact they spend most of their time powered off or in low power standby modes

most PC's = 8hr per day x 365 x 10yrs = 29200 hrs non continuous use

when they say 32000hrs they look at it this way

power on = 24hrs per day x 365 days x 3.6 yrs = 31536 hrs continuous use

5. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Well that's a way of seeing it, but for example the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply on the primary side, and on 5vsb are always on and the same for the motherboard 5vsb side.

But this is just marketing BS based on some capacitor manufacturer MTBF data. In the end all this depends on voltage rating, capacity, load/job type, etc...

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    you got servers that run for years without boards being replaced.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Regardless of how long they can last, electrolytic capacitors were an extremely common cause of motherboard malfunctions and the most likely thing to cause them to die.

I'll never forget that massive bad batch which Asus insisted using for what seemed like forever. IIRC at the time Asrock was owned by Asus so any motherboard from either of those two was just asking for exploding capacitors. How many did I encounter? 4/4? I don't remember.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    More marketing BS.....

9. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    That from what I have seen through the web, was a beautiful case of industrial espionage, a Chinese manufacturer copied some Japanese dielectric formula, but only partially... If I'm not mistaken.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    well they gotta do something, not exactly the brand of choice of most gurus here.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I built 4 computers with the same series of motherboards from ECS (people had tight budgets) about 4 years ago. 3 of the 4 had problems within 2-3 years. I'm not giving them any money again until they prove themselves to be worth it.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    another year another scheme to make people think there stuff is better?

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I have no complaints about the 2 ECS boards I use on my folding rigs. They have been running pretty much 24/7 for the last 2+ years with out any problems.

14. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5570
    ECS is trying to debunk the myth of their boards being poor quality, despite improvements in recent years (even before Durathon was introduced). Unfortunately, I don't have much hope for them, as many will continue to blindly dismiss their products regardless of quality improvements. ECS should perhaps consider a sale to MSI and bury the myth for good.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Sounds very much like Gigabyte's "Ultra Durable" series lol.

To be honest, I only have 1 motherboard that uses electrolyte capacitor which is my old motherboard which I'm using for my HTPC. It's the ASUS M3A. It's the last motherboard with electrolyte capacitor in production uses at my house lol. No plan to upgrade it until the board blows out.

deltatux