Gorilla Glass Soon to be used in cars

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The strong glass that is used in 1.5 billion consumer electronic devices worldwide could soon help make more fuel-efficient, quieter cars. Corning’s durable Gorilla Glass is used in the disp...

Gorilla Glass Soon to be used in cars

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I don't get it. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant... cars need strong and shatterproof.

3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    So I don't need a screen protector on my car anymore? :p

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not for the side and rear windows. You wouldn't want shatterproof glass on the side windows in case your head hits it in an accident. It would be safer to hit your head on a window that shatters than to hit it against a window that doesn't.

5. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Shatterproof glass, aka safety glass or toughened glass, isn't designed not to to break per se. It's more that it is designed so that when it breaks, it doesn't shatter into large, dangerous shards, but into much smaller pieces that are less likely to cause injury.

The windshield is normally laminated glass that will stay mostly in one piece when broken

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Exactly, so I'm wondering maybe it they'll just laminate it all or what. I personally wouldn't want gorilla glass in my car. Doesn't seem to do anything special. I can scratch it pretty easily and I'm sure it would break like anything else. They'd have to prove to me that there is a valid reason. I can't imagine it would cut down weight enough to make it a noticeable in MPG.

7. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    i'd kill for see-through blind spots between the windshield and driver/passenger windows.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    How ironic, considering some people have killed BECAUSE of blind spots haha

9. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    indeed :infinity:

10. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

11. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    neat. but i guess nothing happened with the idea. too bad. i hate those damn things. i injured a glute and so have slightly less rom in my right leg to push the pedals and i have to put my seat in such a way where those things make it hell to drive through parking lots. regular highway travel is fine though. it always seemed silly to me to have a massive blind spot. especially now when we have materials that are mostly transparent that can be used. minor cost bump though and i assume that's the reason. all we need is some people from the future to come back in time and invent transparent aluminum to house a whale to bring back to the future... :nerd:

12. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I would like stronger glass on the rear door. Specifically that smaller triangle shaped piece that people break to get into your car. Happened twice to me...in a month :(

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013