Samsung launches Galaxy S IV on March 14th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2013.

1. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    That's what I'm going to hold out for. My S2 broke on me about a month ago and I've been using a BlackBerry Bold for what feels like centuries now (it's like going 18 steps back)... I'm not very happy with Samsung's build quality (owned 3 Samsung LCDs, 2 of their phones, and a laptop)... Safe to say I'm all plasticked out... Looking forward to holding something that doesn't feel like it was made for a toddler again and actually has some weight/quality to it.

I just hope they use a better glass than the One X. My brother's shattered in his pocket somehow :3eyes:

2. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    Most of that could be attributed to people simply not having the knowledge to update or actually caring to... whereas with Android, most are STUCK on their current OSs without even getting one major revision. At least Apple phones are guaranteed to be updated for two years...

I'm not an Apple fan by any means (well other than being able to update and having phones built with some quality since 90% of Android phones are plastic pieces of $hit build quality wise), but it'd be nice if Google stepped in and did something about their fragmentation problem (forcing manufacturers to bring their "skins" to the Android store for one).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I want a little more info on the display. If its ful RGB and possibly ips I may jump ship to the S4 when my upgrade is available.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Comparing Microsoft and Apple to Google as far as fragmentation goes is pretty pointless. Both of the former control (or at least have a very, very large say in) the hardware and software on their phones/products.

Android is open source. There are upsides and downsides to this. One of the downs is that manufacturers who modify Android have to maintain updates on their own. The UP is that it allows manufacturers to run Android, but differentiate themselves from other manufacturers.

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    It is a little too big IMO. I have the HTC Titan where the outer body shell is made out of aluminium, it's a nice touch but too big at 4.7 as much as I loved it.

I quite like the glass on my HTC 8X, it curves nicely around the edges. I find the screen to be the perfect size compared to 3.7, 4.0 and 4.7inch screens and the colour quality of the LCD is seriously good. The body shell is polycarbonate, have you tried holding one of those types of body shells?

6. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Plastic back and aluminium sides. Why do they skimp out on the case materials? I will keep my Razer Maxx HD.

7. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Quite right on the knowledge of updating phones. A work colleague just gave me her Galaxy SII to install some enterprise dictation software and suffice to say it doesn't work because she's still running Gingerbread 2.3.4! Why on earth you have to use Kies to download and update the phone is beyond me as I've never owned a Samsung running Android but this may go some way to explaining users who are still on Gingerbread. It should just be OTA but it seems they can't handle that!

Microsoft stepped in and forced out the 7.8 update for older Windows Phones regardless of the fact that HTC and other manufacturers said they wouldn't be updating some phones. I'm guessing the issue with Android is that Google can't do it because of the different user interfaces.

What they should do for their next big version of Android is force updates whilst allowing for customised interfaces such as HTC Sense etc. so basically HTC Sense would be an overlay to the normal OS so when the normal OS is updated the overlay isn't broken.

8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the specs seem too close to the Note 2, with the exception of 13mp camera and additional 300mhz cpu, it won't be enough to tempt Note 2 owners.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The Note 2 came out 4 months ago, what would tempt them, I mean, if you're being tempted that often...

10. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    Yeah, people even have trouble updating their iPhone's believe it or not. I wasn't too impressed on the hoops you had to go through with Kies either (especially Samsung's software being a requirement just to root the friggin' thing).

I remember reading an article long ago that Google was going to have all of the manufacturers' UIs be optional via the market as you suggested - but it's been a year now and everyone's still slow on the updates and they're still not forced to go on the market. You know, it's obvious how intentional the fragmentation really is at this point. Not only do you need to wait for Samsung, HTC, et al to put their junk on it every revision, but then you also need to wait on carriers to test it on their network which gives an even longer delay. By the time people can upgrade to Froyo from GB, they'll be ogling the newer devices sporting JB/whatever update that's seemingly exclusive to brand new phone owners and Nexus users (thus even more $$$). Hell, I even got caught in their web. Decided to go for another S2 but went with a variant exclusive to T-Mobile and Telus... Story short... BIG MISTAKE. All updates would only be pushed at T-Mobile's discretion... assuming Samsung was even working/caring to upgrade their "older"/less popular sister phones. The red tape you need to go through (or wait through) just to upgrade your device is ridiculous. Imagine how much better Android would be if every device was essentially a Nexus device... and if you wanted Sense or TouchWiz, all you'd have to do is go to the app store? Hell, they could even charge $15 for it or something to capitalize on and I'd still be happy. People talk about how free/open source-Android is when really it's all smoke and mirrors. The whole open-source thing is a great concept, but all it's been doing is giving carriers and manufacturers the advantage do to whatever they want with it -- it hasn't really been benefiting us, the consumers.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

11. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    this sucks as I am just about to upgrade to an s2 on boost mobiles contract free network that will cost me 278 for the phone and 50 a month....metro pcs has the s3 but that is 499 usd a bit over my budget...I can not be bothered with a contract anymore but I am quite fond of the snapdragon processors

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This part isn't true for those of us in the US. MS is not forcing out updates to older Windows phones. MS is leaving it up to manufacturers and carriers to update phones. If either refuses, your phone doesn't get updated. You can force the update....but you risk bricking your phone by doing so.

My wife's iPhone is still running iOS5 due to the complaints I've read/heard from iPhone4 owners concerning issues with iOS6.

My Galaxy Stellar is still running ICS because Samsung hasn't released an update for it. Rumor is that Samsung/Verizon are pushing an upgrade to Jelly Bean starting tomorrow as a result of customer complaints. Shouldn't take 6 months to start trying to fix issues with a phone, regardless of it's segment. Galaxy Stellar isn't supported by Kies....so the update has to be OTA.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Quite right. In my case there is only a 100mhz difference in cpu speed as I've overclocked my Galaxy Note 2's cpu to 1.8Ghz 24/7 with an app called No-frills CPU Control.

The ONLY temptation I may get to upgrade is when the Note 3 is released. As you said, the Galaxy S IV's specification is far too close to the Note 2 apart from a slightly better processor & a higher resolution 13mp camera.

Remember, the current Note 2 has the bigger screen & bigger battery...

My current clock speeds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JasonRain

JasonRain Guest

GPU:
    fdfffd
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Note II has a quad core A9 processor. S4 is rumored to have either a "Octo" A7/A15 or Quad Krait. The Krait is 30% faster clock for clock than the A9 and the A15 is like 40%. So there is definitely a speed increase, not just 100mhz. Also I prefer the 5 inch phone. I actually would like the S4 to be smaller, but yeah. + 1080p vs 720p. Couple other things that I want specifically, rumored 64g storage + SD, Wolfson DAC which I guess the Note II has as well, it's also rumored to have a LCD panel which I personally hope for.