Overclocking FX 6300 help needed!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Mraz, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    So to keep it short I got FX 6300 today and I am trying to OC it to 4.6 stable, I know my mobo isnt quite an overcloking tool to begin with, but I dont get something about this CPU.

At 1.48 CPU voltage and at 4.6 Ghz on PI iterations I get this... out of 20 iterations one is with error, with message not exact in round, and that is the FIRST one out of 20. So what does it mean, is it maybe a ''mistake'' from the software or something's not right?

I also get only 30 degrees celsius MAX when fully loading my CPU with games such as Far Cry 3 and/or BF3.(with Corsair H80)

What to do, should I lover the clock's or am I doing something wrong?!

EDIT: Yep it crashes, tried to lower it to 4.4 Ghz and also lowered the voltage to 1.46 still crashes.

EDIT2: I started from scratch got stable 4.0 Ghz at 1.36 volts(default 1.33) that's an increase of 0.25 in BIOS, gonnay try to push it up further now at this voltage.

I also set CPU NB voltage at + 0.175 and CPU NB is at 2600 mhz, stable.

EDIT3: For 4.2 Ghz I had to raise volts from 1.33 to 1.41(+.50) in order to keep it stable, I think I am just realizing I am having tough luck with my CPU; it was just a bad ''draw''.

Anyway I am going for 4.4 now...

EDIT4: 4.4 stable at 1.48 volts, not going any higher, I will try to squeeze out 4.5 with 1.48, if it doesnt work I will stick with it as is...

I guess I was right just bad luck out of the draw with this CPU, I was expecting much more.

EDIT5: It turns out I may be without enough power as I only have a XFX 550Watt Bronze, and my GPU is sucking out around 366 Watt under full load when playing BF3, and my CPU when OC'd simply doesnt have enough juice, resulting in my PC getting restarted sometimes, and sometimes it just BSOD's or goes to black screen.

I will still wait for final confirmation from the people I sent the private message to, since I am not keen in going out and wasting over 80$ just to find out it wasnt PSU -.-

EDIT6: Problem solved, been playing BF3 for 5 minutes @4Ghz PC restarts! Set it back to default 3.5 Ghz been playing for over half an hour without a problem! I simply run out of power, so I am going to buy a 750Watt Corsair or Seasonic, might even go for XFX again. Anyway thanks to everyone for giving out they're tips and tricks :D

FINAL EDIT:
    Changed my PSU to Corsair GS 800W series, I've been running out of power.

32M PI Iterations 0 errors, Futuremark CPU stress test 0 errors; need to test Prime95.

Max temp. achieved was in BF3 38 degrees celsious with Corsair H80 water cooling.

Prime 95, 12 hours run 46 degrees celsious, stable...

CPU VCORE Voltage 1.52, 4.7 Ghz CPU clock, RAM DDR Voltage 1.55, Ram timings 8-8-8-24/2T, CPU NB frequency DEFAULT(any change CRASHES)

1.50-1.55 core voltage is safe according to AMD engineers Source it's mentioned in the third paragraph page 9.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Could always try knocking the NB back a bit, see if that allows you a lower core voltage. Not sure how these things affect each other like they do with X58 chips but it might be worth a shot.

3. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Will try it out, but now I am having a problem I've never encountered before, I've managed to pull out stable 4.5 Ghz at 1.50 volts, at HW monitor and CPUID it says the CPU is at 1.45 volts, but that is not the point. My windows desktop manager turned off causing my AERO to turn off as well, meaning I cant reenable it, I've tried over services.msc and with troubleshooter but as soon as it reenables it just turns itself off again, leaving me with non transparent taskbar.

Also when I move the windows from applications over each other they leave a blue and purple trails over each other, and as soon as they leave them they dissapear(trails), not sure why and what is causing this?

As soon as I downclock my CPU down to 4.3 Ghz, AERO turns back on and there are no ''trails'' anymore.

So WTF is going on?!

EDIT: Restarted PC same thing!

I fixed it by increasing CPU NB from 2400 to 2600...I know its LOL, but its working now normally AERO turns on with Windows logon...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    The other thing to consider is PLL (NOT VTT) (I think that's what it's called), which is the strength of the clock generator. To get really high clocks you might need to crank that up a bit from normal. TBH I think Bulldozer has more in common with X58 than the newer intel stuff, so I figure it's worth a shot :p

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

5. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Just doing some research about that, will try to figure it out, and post back!

Ty for replying!

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Basically, the PLL is the size of your clock ticking on and off that governs the CPU speed. As you get faster and use more voltage on the CPU core, that needs to get higher to compensate otherwise it gets overwhelmed and generates instability if that makes sense. The way I see it anyhoo.

7. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    As soon as I change CPU PLL option from default 2.50 to 2.60(the lowest possible increase) my PC refuses to even turn on, so I had to clear CMOS twice already...it just seems my mobo is keeping me from going any higher. I will try to find a stable 4.4, since 4.5 went mental on me.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Overclocking can be a fickle mistress my friend.

9. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    No luck even at 4.3, PI iterations are all passed multiple times on 4.4 and 4.3 but as soon as I start Far Cry 3 and play for about 5 min, PC freezes up, I left my volts at 1.48 and lowered the clock all the way down to 4.2 Ghz, will see how it holds up now.

10. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Disable turbocore if ur overclocking and also spread spectrum if ur mobo have any option for it.

Make sure u have set manually ur Ram voltage to specified volt mention on ram. like 1.5 or 1.65v unless ur using low voltage ram.

Also maybe ur PSU is not holding up quite good with overlocking to feed cpu 12v enough power to run. Upgrade ur PSU if u can it may help a lot.

11. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    That was my exact thought last night, I can OC without a prob, to even 4.8Ghz which I achieved last night, but as soon as I run PI iterations I get an error followed by PC lockup or black screen, BSOD even.

I think my problem is not the motherboard as I read on couple of other forums that GA-970A-UD3 is the best ''cheap'' overclocking board with 8+2 phases and that some achieved over 5Ghz with 8350's on it.

So it definetly isnt the board, as a rule I also dont count in heat since on 4.6/8 Ghz I had mere 35 degrees to 40 on max load, but shortly after my PC would crash. I am cooling my FX 6300 with Corsair H80.

I also went to wattage extreme calculator and calculated my total power consupmtion with option 100% full load, and it turned out my PSU is giving out 480 Watts, and is 550Watt only PSU, but 80+bronze one, meaning I may ran out of juice, as my PSU is on it's edge.

Anyway I will add in a couple of people to this topic as I want to resolve this issue ASAP, and I wonder what is they'r opinion.

EDIT: I think that my PSU may be the problem -.-

MSI Lightning GTX680 power consumption

And add to that an OC'd CPU, and you have a hungry beast -.-

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  12. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Don't u have any low power gpu?
    Or lend one from a friend. Then run cpu intensive applications to see wether the psu is the culprit or not.

13. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    The problem is I dont, and I am the only one that has the money and time to invest into the PC, all of my friends are either on laptops or dont have GPU's...will try to find one though...

14. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    You may have gotten a runt chip of the pack (like I did) that may not overclock as high as you're expecting. 4800ghz? That is waay high and probably isn't even necessary. Also, as someone else mentioned the NB could be bumped down a notch and may be causing some of your instability. Although I have a different mobo, I experienced instability with my NB at 2400 with an overclock on my CPU.

15. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    then try cpu-only intensive applications first.
    And can u run 3dmark11 physics test only both @3.5ghz and @4.4ghz and tell us the score? Please? Only physics score.

16. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Tried to play BF3 for 5 minutes at 4.0 Ghz PC restarts...

Set it to default 3.5 Ghz everything is fine, been playing for more than half an hour.

I guess I solved the problem with this myself, my PC simply runs out of power, I am going out to the city to buy a new PSU at least 750 Watt, then I will run 3DM11 and such, like this I cant do sh!t.

17. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    LOL get Corsair TX 850W enough for OC

18. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    There you go...
    First one @3.5Ghz

[​IMG]

I will edit this post again and insert the 4.4 and/or above 4.8Ghz or more, when I get a new PSU.

19. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    ^thanks.
    But, why is it too low?
    In futuremark website scored 6250 ranking 26th.

20. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    I am sure it is so because I turned off the core boost option in BIOS, so it couldnt boost to 4.1 Ghz when under load!!!

I disabled it intentionally when I was running BF3 for the second time to see would my PC restart again.

But if my understanding is correct physics only stress out the GPU, so I have no clue...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012