EVGA GTX 980 Ti burned out today

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by siriq, May 30, 2017.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Dude, there should be no hole on the back plate...

When the card was first bought and installed, did nobody ask the question "why is the back plate broken with a hole in it?"

Something made that hole. If it was a manufacturing accident (how on earth does that happen) then it stands to reason that small metal parts of the back plate got wedged into the PCB, and this might be why the card went up in flames.

But seriously, you buy a graphics card with a hole in it and don't send it back? :3eyes:

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What hole are you talking about?

Picture above has no 'holes'.

If you are talking about those square cut-outs then that is normal.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Holes are the same as an undamaged one

[​IMG]

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    No the openings are there on purpose, I can confirm that first hand as an EVGA card owner.

5. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    In the first picture you can see that the backplate has been bent downwards towards the PCB and it looks to be in the position where the fan sits.
    Could it be that the deformation has caused a short circuit between component and backplate because I'll bet the backplate isn't floating but directly attached to ground electrically?

I take it the backplate is made from metal and conductive?

It should look like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  6. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    looks like one of the 3 secondary VRMs said "bye bye"

backplate has nothing to do with it. the holes are part of design.
    and even if there were no holes... you won't carve holes like that through 1mm aluminium or nickel backplates only with ICs blowing up in smoke...

anyway i'd contact EVGA directly and refer maybe to this thread and their statements about the VRM issues they had in the past:

https://forums.evga.com/Warning-There-is-a-VRM-PROBLEM-Protect-yourself-m2572175.aspx

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphi...fficial-statement-on-gtx-1080-1070-ftw-issues

...knowing full well that it is the previous gen card, but the phenomenon seems to be quite similar (burnt backplate due to vrm chip going up in smoke, for whatever reason...)

alternatively, give it to louis rossman ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Damn, sorry to see that. Hopefully RMA goes well for you.

8. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    EVGA says, will be a replacement card. Crossed fingers for my friend.

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry to hear that your friend lost his graphics card, may it rest in peace.

10. zettajhony

zettajhony Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti X
    Hopefully quickly get a replacement, and get back into action ...:)

11. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Update will be in next few days.

I will forward the wishes to him!

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What actually happened. :D

[​IMG]

13. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Judging by the pictures back in the beginning, looks like the vrm's was totally covered by the cpu heatsink and fan, but then again the Vrm's in general can go well beyond 100c from my understandings, but in this case, wow, burnt vrm's???

I know when I had my ati 5970 watercooled(including the vrms), the damn vrm's was going well beyond 120c and the temps on the gpu was excellent and was still working fine then, so vrm's can get extremely hot and still working fine.

14. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Wasn't covered. Was a nice big space but cannot be judged from the angle where the photo has been taken. It wasn't the issue at all. The VRM's wasn't even close to the heat sink area.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Good call, the backplate also looks like it is a bit bent, maybe that was the issue, some mechanical damage to the card (which could have messed with whatever part is it that went up in smoke).

Cool, good to hear.

16. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    keep us updated :)

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hey yeah, good catch. There's a clearly visible dent on the bp.

So looks likely the CPU fan pushed down on the bp, made it contact the pcb and short circuit. The dent is right next to the burn marks too.

Yes the bp is conductive, made from aluminium.

Anyhow good luck with RMA! Could be a good idea to verify the clearance between CPU cooler and graphics card with the replacement card though.

18. Spuk0

Spuk0 Guest

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil
    Geez after reading some of these posts... it appears it could be the VRM just took a crap or someone simply pushed the board too hard and caused the VRM to burn out... as noted the backplates are notched for a reason.. so unless someone fiddled with the backplate and it short circuit somehow, or power surge or problem with PSW... has to be 1 of those 3

19. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Those, I believe, are 30 volt 3 amp fast switching diodes under the cutout rated at 125C. Each one could throughput up to 90 watts of power to another component(s). Most likely cause IMO, failed downstream gpu semiconductor.

P.S. Damn you Superman, that was a good card!

20. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Funny though, my old 980Ti which has been in my brother's PC for a while now just suffered a very similar burn today. Just casually playing R6 Siege and suddenly had a shutdown, booted up and a quite distinct electrical burn whiff started to float around the room. Shut down the PC immediately and took out the card, after taking the card fully apart I found out this upper R33 cap was all burnt to hell.
    [​IMG]

Too bad as the card is still under warranty but I've made some cutting on it's cooler.
    [​IMG]
    I cut this AIRBOSS cooling extension out so I could fit an universal EK block on the card back when it was still under water.