My opinion about 144Hz monitor - AVOID

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by No1True, Dec 13, 2016.

1. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    NEVER BUY THEM.. :)

I sure am still happy with my Acer xb241h.
    It arrived in perfect condition, I used for a month and I noticed 1mm blue tint on the bottom. No big deal..

Now its like 3 months and I see that tint is 4mm and there are 1mm tints on each side!
    Still no big deal, its mostly noticable in dark images.. But its just been for around 4months..

I expect it to be rubish after a year.

Why do people plague with incredible reviews? Because they post them immediatly and never edit them!

P.S. and my LCD is TN.. I dont want to even image what kind of garbage tints they have with IPS 144Hz panels.

Never again.. 60Hz IPS anytime from now onwards..

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So because you got a bad panel, no-one else should buy one?

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That's a real trauma. You should see a doctor.

Or use your warranty and exchange your bad panel.

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Lol!~

5. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I have an Acer XB217HU 144Mhz IPS for 4 months now and have not experienced any tint issues.

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I have an Asus VG248QE for almost 3 years, and I haven't had any tinting issues either. But yea its silly to tell other people not to buy them, just because you gotten one bad egg, because not every one will have issues with them.

7. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    I dont think my monitor its bad. It just it getting worse over time. And thats where warranty goes. That couple mm of tint is barely visible and only in some cases, but it went from none to this. And thats why this tech isnt ready yet.

You can buy a perfect monitor and it will get worse in a year or two..

If you guys draw stupid conslusions like - it doesnt matter, lets buy more lcd.. then its up to your IQ.
    I just see no reason to validate a tech that degrades over time! And that tint wont even go through warranty yet, but its not big deal yet..

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Actually no, I still have an LCD I bought ex-display 8 years ago, and it looks as good today as it did back then

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    How is that a problem with 144hz monitors? Your telling me that 60hz monitors never fail?

I once had a optical mouse die, guess its back to ball mice for me

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I had a 60Hz monitor that was way crappier than your Acer. Backlight bleeding like no tomorrow, and the backlight died after two years.

Does that now mean no one should ever buy 60Hz monitors?

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Pro review op.
    Well researched, balanced opinion.
    I now realise that any problem must be a worldwide issue suffered by everyone.
    Wonder why nobody has mentioned this in forums for all the years they have been out.

Does this mean I have syphilis?
    I heard people catch it having sex.
    I've had sex, damn.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    My Acer XB270HU is like on it's first day, and I'm very glad I went for 1440p 144Hz over 1080p 60Hz any day. But I also waited and paid a bit more for the IPS panel.

So... no idea what op is talking about.

13. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I'm lucky, never had anything higher than 60hz, so I do not know what i am missing!

my 40 ''4k tv monitor is a beauty and you can play games such as FC3 and GTA 5 which I did with a gtx970 and a rx470 with a i7 6700. ( sold now waiting for Zen ) No comparison! Once 4k, no going back

I went the tv route years ago when people were paying silly money for 30'' pc monitors. I just dont get it.

14. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    Try NEC. NEC's devices are extremely expensive, but there you get pure quality.
    All Acer's I had, had terrible panels which indeed got worse and worse from day to day.

@ladcrooks : Arent TVs still at 16-235 color range only? Would be a no-go for me.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you choose to feed it 16-235... yes.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Picked one up a few days ago (40" sammy ku-7000), love it. Size a bit overwhelming at first for desktop usage, esp vertical height (have to move my head to look at upper area) but resolved this by removing stand and wall mounting it to where its suspended just 2cm above desktop. Also used a custom 21:9 res (3840x1620) which further lowers viewing height. F'ing awesome in gaming and wide-screen movies.

Older TVs lacking HDMI 2.0 maybe. I get full range on mine.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep.
    I cant remember the last display I used that was limited to DVD quality colour.
    I've been using TVs on my PC for over 8 years.
    Friends also do the same and there is no limitation.

18. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    With respect to the 0-255, 16-235 color, both the source and the TV have to be set to the same color space, in order for the image on the display to be accurate. So in your GPU drivers, you need to set it to full range RGB 0-255 and the TV must have a PC monitor mode that also supports 0-255.

If your GPU output is 0-255 but your display is 16-235, youll have black crush. If your GPU is outputting 16-235(as many GPUs used to default to for "TV resolution monitors", regardless of the monitor's color space) blacks will look gray.

19. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    ****! Guess i need to sell my 144Hz monitor then. Thanks OP!