Well folding and my AMD killed 3 sofar

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by MKube402, Oct 25, 2015.

1. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    LoL well my AMD FX 8350 @ 3.5ghz "stock" killed 3 psu sofar a Rosewill and a thermaltake 450w no GPU folding all CPU. thermaltake tr2 600w folding on the GPU gtx570 and only 6 cpu cores.... None of them lastes a year....

Lets see how far this corsair cx750m makes it with all 8 cores and a gtx 570 :banana:
    Good thing i keep the boxes and can rma them all....

The Roseweill and TT 450's blew the driver fets on the 120v side
    The 600 w TT TR2 blew the 12v rectifire off the main transformer it is funny as it lists 2 rails there is only 1 and the rectifier was only rated @20 amps max

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Its kinda funny how these PSU's are all pretty low quality stuff as per components, and then you replace it with a CX750M.

3. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    I get them cheep like the 3/8 the cust of retail...
    And i am not running them that hard..... Just a high duty cycl
    Ill have a large stock pile of RMAed power supplys lol.

4. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    lol fireworks much

5. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI

O yeah every one whent out in a gun shot

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Why are you getting cheap power supplies and getting surprised they're dying from excessive load?

7. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    Not 100% suprused but when just running a mainbord, cpu, and 1 SSD. and latter a gpu and cpu not even at full load i would think it would live...

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They're cheap until they take out the rest of your expensive hardware

And total up the cost of the number of cheap PSUs you buy every 4-5 years, vs the cost of the 4-5 years life of a single decent PSU price

9. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    Let the body count rise....

10. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI

RMA baby

Plus every psu i read had some one bitching on how junk it is...
    I can spend $200 and it can fail in months.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Still a big risk for the rest of your machine, the PSU is connected to everything in there, if it throws out a big spike when it pops, anything inside there could go out with it

Not worth the risk IMO - PSU is a one time expensive and boring, but necessary investment

12. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    So a AMD FX 8350 @ 3.5ghz is drawing 213watts by its self under full load..
    I started this i guss to fined out at what point is the chepper pus are crapping out... I am guessing a 600 watt is more like a 300.. So i have been working on a test rig that will load up a compiter psu.. Monitoring its amp load in and out under varying conditions..

13. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Well mine ain't killin shiat, got a r9 290x overclocked pretty high, same goes for the cpu, during the winter i keep it at 4.7, its been like this for 2 years.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Cheap PSU ratings are snake oil, ignore them

Get an 80+ bronze/gold rated trusted branded PSU

Superflower, Corsair etc etc

15. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    some corsair series are lower quality, like the cx series

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    True, if people can give some suggestions, that would help the OP

17. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Its never about the capacity or the efficiency, its the reliable components inside.

Hell i'd take 75% efficiency + quality components over 80% gold efficiency and **** components.

18. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    600w for an 8 core FX @ 4.6 & a 290x overclocked?

Hmm. Well if you're not maxing thinga out all the time and you only have a few fans and 1 SSD. Yeah... 600w would do. Still, you'd be using around 450w most of the time.

Getting too close to the limits most of the time for my tastes. I rock a 980 on X99 with an AX860i and the efan on the PSU only turns on while gaming. Even then I've never heard it even once, might as well be passive... you can almost count the revolutions the fan makes hehe.

I'm guessing the PSU doesn't get that hot so you haven't worried? Does it ever get loud?

*edit*

Sorry OP, suggestion..... AX Series, Corsair. I have an AX860i and it's the best PSU I've ever used. That or a Seasonic or a PC Power & Cooling PSU. The latter comes with a Chroma ATE PSU tester printout of the units burn in cycle.

AX series is fully digital BTW. You seem to like monitoring power, as do I. Nothing compares to the AX series in this regard. Corsair link rules. Also if you grab a USB header adapter (In my case, two of them) you can hook up your Corsair Link adapters to a laptops USB ports and have dedicated hardware for monitoring your PC.

I do this with my PSU & My Corsair H110i AIO unit and I have to say, it's sick. Looks like I'm tuning a car or something. When you're gaming and you see all the temps, flow rate, water temp, voltages and even power efficiency/wattage from your laptop it's just so sweet.

19. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    the new evga series like the g2 p2 b2, and gs, ps are manufactured by Superflower, who make excellent psus. seasonic also make great units, and xfx units are great too (seasonic are the oem), silver stone sell good units as well (also seasonic) , and the v series are good from cooler master (seasonic as well) .
    and as for corsair: avoid cx, vs, but their other units are solid.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm not sure the state of Rosewill units now, but everyone I knew in the past that had one had it fail in less than a year and take out other components in the process. A lot of the old Rosewill units were rated by their maximum output instead of their sustainable output. That alone has resulted in a lot of unit failures.

I'm running a CX750M....but my power consumption is low enough that the stress on the unit isn't an issue. If I were to go SLI again, I'd replace it with a Seasonic unit.