High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Have any one used a XLR Y spliter to connect a dac to powered speakers and a headphone amp without any issues. I asking as I planning on getting some, so i can plug my Gustard H10 back into the XLR while using XLR with my LSR 305's.

I know the feeling, When I listen to music, I hear something that sound like a door knock. And i take my headphones off thinking some one is at my door, or called my name.

I have heard the same with the LSR 305's

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    My sub has been bothering me for a while, the Z680 sub has nothing under it, it's just the bottom with wood no rubber or spikes.

This makes the sub way too boomy, and i'm thinking of getting 4 spikes to put under it.

I've found these for 14,99, do they look good enough?
    [​IMG]

3. Ndimz

Ndimz Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070Oc
    Yep, they seem pretty stud and stable to me. Great aesthetics too BTW

4. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Here's a tip that may be worth mentioning.

If you're not happy with your speakers, instead of spending a fortune on another set, cup your hands slightly around your ears, as to catch the sound from your speakers, do your speakers sound like a million bucks now? If so, your room is colouring the sound and most likely playing havoc with the low end response. Research "room acoustics"

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I still gotta get around to getting speaker stands for my JBL LSR 305's so i can get them off my folding table desk. So I can have more room for my Gustard Stack and the Lycan.

Been trying to find some that's really affordable that will hold the speakers that isn't made out of glass.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Bought a pair of used Aurisonics ASG1+, I must say I like its sig sound, the Innear SD3 I have sounds a tad too dark for me to enjoy, I will be putting it up for sale soon.....in the local forums here. Meanwhile, I like how the ASG1+ looks as well....
    [​IMG]

Also ordered a pair of Dyson Audio HiFiman Balanced 4 pin XLR cable.....
    [​IMG]
    It's a purchase that's well worthwhile as I can use it on these, one cable to rule them all! I have a choice of the 4 pin balanced cable, or the stock HE560 cable for SE use (attached to my Denon AH-D2000)
    [​IMG]
    Enjoying it with my HE500 and Oppo HA1...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  7. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I have been rolling tubes like mad :D

I have found out quite a few things....pretty much all of the old tubes from the 40's - 60's....all sound pretty darn good.

An OTL amp & the HD800 is a wonderful combo.

This morning I have been listening to some old ZZ Top...the first few albums, the blues stuff.

Even though many insist the HD 800 is only good for classical and jazz....I just can't agree with that.

The instrument placement and detail and the bass is really wonderful.

This is all accomplished with less than $100 in this tube set-up

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I been enjoying the burson's for quite some time now with my Gustard H10. The first time I feel like I will never change them out for any other op-amp. I just ordered some Velpads which also works with the HE-500 as the velour earpads is starting to get unconformable.

I found that I prefer the sound of my system without the gustard u12 in the mix plugged into my Gustard X12 I2s inputs. Could be the fact that the gustard U12 I have been modded with improved caps that the original user of it did.

I originally had the gustard U12 back when I had a non usb bifrost uber that it did it job for. Could just be the results of the mods the original user did that I don't like with the gustard X12. I know I will evidently get rid of the gustard U12 if I don't have any issues with playing back DSD with the X12's usb inputs.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  9. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    The Burson's a big step up from stock op-amps.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    aAll the op-amps i been rolling before and after the bursons. The bursons are my number 1's and the Two pairs OPA627BP with the Two AD797brzs are now my number 2.

11. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Nice on the bursons, my buddy has this amp....I will mention them to him :) ....he may already know.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Sorry for not replying back, i haven't invested in them yet, i actually placed my sub a bit more to the middle of my room and the bass seems to have more punch now instead of being so boomy.

It could be my new and more modern motherboard not sure.

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    It's insane how sub placement can make the sub sound sooo bad it sounds like 20 bucks speakers.

This actually made me back in the day return my Z-5500's wich i bought for 350 euros back then.

I tried the exact same place of my Z680 sub and it sounded horrible, i moved it a bit to the left and kaboom it sounds amazing and punchy.

I moved it away from the corner, cause it made it sound too boomy.

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I been using the DT770 pro-80 with my Burson lycan with the Bursons V5 OPA-D which worked really well with them, They had a big sound stage that was 3Dish, over all sound wonderful, of course not like my HE-500. But the OPA-D made them sound a tad too much harsh. The bass was controlled.

I took out the V5-OPA-D and pop in Two OPA627AU's which smoothed out the highs, the sound stage isn't as big like it was with the OPA-D's but it still 3Dish through. The bass hits a little harder but that's it for now, I had the DT770 pro-80s for almost two days, i hoping this week they will improved as I been burning them in. its a good thing my Gustard X12 has RCa output's on it so i can hook the Lycan to the X12 while I have the H10 to the X12 with Two XLR splitter's as I also have my JBL 305 plugged in thru XLR too.

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Headphones for metal/rock music, available soon.
    http://www.maidenaudio.com/about/

Other news:
    Been thinking about upgrading my Genelec 8030's to 8040's or 8050's...

16. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    Well, I made the leap..and got myself a set of B&W 804D's. wow. talk about another level of sound/quality. The one thing I find very anticlimactic to this speaker aquisition, is that going speakers shopping now is pretty much moot now, of course, unless I go above the $10k~ level and MAYBE then, there would be a minimal change in quality, but who's to say I would even HEAR it, and these speakers arent' even broken in yet as it hasn't even been 12 hours since I plugged them in for the first time. You always dream of reaching this level, but its a lot different when you actually 'GET' here, Im super excited but at the same time, it's a bummer too, now to start looking for decent amps :) I figure a neoMoon or something along that line, just preliminary ideas at this point.
    Currently running it off my Onkyo THX/Atmos receiver, so yes, I know I have some upgrading to do there, but one massively major upgrade at a time :) right? :)

17. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Congrats! Awesome purchase! Your right, you need to upgrade amp/preamp to something much better then an reciever to get the full potential from those babies. It would be like putting drag tires on a normal car, but to get the full benefit you would need more then normal.

18. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Nice Purchase and no need for a sub with them :) Noticed they go down to 20hz and right up to 38khz with those diamond tweeters... AMP, I would go the Rotel amp direction, plenty of power and quality blocks to boot :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

19. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Congrats....very nice....I feel your happiness :)

I know this is not a tube thread.....but I feel the need to post some toob pron :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know not many people want to go down the tube rolling hole.....but I am here to say.....it is a heck of a lot of fun.

20. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    any amp Ive ever had has been SS, tubes are a bit of a mystery to me...I know you can change em out and get different kinds but, again, a mystery...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.