AMD Volcanic Islands coming late 2013

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 8, 2013.

1. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    This doesn't mean jack untill they fix there CFX drivers and even there single GPU stuttering its all for nothing. I would like to go for the under dog again but there drivers are just a joke. Hope that prototype driver comes out soon.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    I wish they would put this kind of power into cpu's tbh

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Was going to get a Radeon HD 7870 during the summer but if this were to be true, screw it, I'm getting the Radeon HD 9870 (or whatever it's going to be called) instead based on price and availability this winter.

Got no single GPU stuttering going on here, what game are you referring to? Could just be game specific. I've been running my Radeon HD 6870 with no issues with the drivers at all. Multi-GPU setups yes, I know there would be issues, even NVIDIA has SLi issues from time to time, it's just because multi-GPUs, even after a decade are pretty horrible, yes they've vastly improved but they haven't eradicated stuttering.

deltatux

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    thanks, I'll take the whole bucket :grin:

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Maybe it´s just me but those specs seem to good to be true...

In case they are, then just take my money!

6. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    This is how i feel lol

As for people claiming they don't "need" anymore GPU power.. did the enthusiast in you die?

Crysis 3 can't be handled with AA by any card down the line under Titan and the Dual GPU/PCBs. Up the res and it's a massacre. For those that play on multi-monitor/high res. Soon i'll be making the transition to 3240x1920...uh yeah i want/need more power :D If these specs hold true 3 9970s should do the trick..gonna need some more salt though.

7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I was expecting the 20nm GPUs to support a new DirectX version

I'm currently planning on upgrading when the 20nm GPUs are available, so I hope the mid-range will let me play with better settings/fps than the PS4

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Christmas season is still over 7 months away. If nVidia release their rebrand stuff in June/July I'll be buying from them assuming the 780 doesn't cost some outrageous amount due to the Titan's luxury price tag.

That makes me wonder if AMD will pull an nVidia and release $1K card. What lousy trends.

9. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I think AMD knows that to release their flagship at 1k is going to hurt them more than anything as it turns away more people than the actual amount that buy it.

If they somehow managed the 20nm process and these specs are true i do expect another 550$ launch. Anything over and i just don't see them selling that well. Hell the community would eventually get sick of it with the new flagship cards getting more expensive every year. Who knows thouh.

It would certainly be interesting to see those specs come true.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The cost of PC gaming is what's really hurting the pc gaming market....not the piracy. Between the cost of graphics cards and the games, PC gaming has gotten insanely expensive. Hopefully AMD will release these cards with proper, reasonable prices. I won't be buying, but it'd be nice to see prices NOT go up more....

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    PC games tend to drop in price faster than console games. Plus, you don't HAVE to upgrade. Hell, technically I don't need to upgrade from my Radeon HD 6870 since it's sufficient for most games, it's the fact that we want to upgrade as PC enthusiasts is why it's expensive.

I know tons of people still on old graphics card who still game on their PCs without touching consoles (my brother for example, has my old Radeon HD 4850 and still doesn't touch our XBOX 360). I have a friend who still stuck with his Radeon HD 5770 even though I advised him to upgrade.

deltatux

12. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    @bboy-mass

We all love graphics and the power to run the, but other then enthusiast, most people don't use 3 screens etc.

Native res should always be used, so depending on your monitor size, you try to fit your gpu needs around that, with some left over etc.

I have an asus 1080p 2ms monitor that is sweet for me. 22inch. and I use a 6870 with it. I could go better with the gpu, but i'm not bothered about x8aa and some fx that are clearly bandwidth hungry for little visual gain.

Concerning consoles, PS4 from what I know technically is very well designed, because of the large throughput of data possible and the 8core apu is clever, energy wise and performance wise 8gb of gddr5 is impressive as well.

Of course we will see soon enough what it's able to push, but @ 1080p you have a high enough rez that all TV's support these days. Regardless of all the graphics talk. Console's have games games games.

13. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Nice.

It seems like I keep on alternating between AMD/ATI and NVIDIA every generation and it looks like that trend might continue if the price is right. :)

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Im still on my good old HD 5770. Runs new games just fine. But doesnt have the power for Sweetfx at 1080p for brand new games in dx11. I dont have to upgrade to play new games but I need it too. Rig is showing its age for 1080p/1440p downsampling.

15. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    This is certainly true. I have a couple of console friends that want me to build them rigs for around 600$. Truth be told at 1080p a 7870XT, 7950, or 660Ti (maybe throw a 670 in there if you can find it for 300$) are more than enough for single monitors. You will certainly not max out games like FC3, Metro last light, and Crysis 3 and maintain 60fps but hell you'll run those games at high settings and it will look fine. I didn't even need my 7970s truthfully my 470 was fine for BF3, FC3, Metro, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, etc. Granted i couldn't max them all they still looked very good.

If you couple the fact that PC games as deltatux says lower in cost and you don't have to pay for online services by the time upgrading is actually a necessity you'll have paid half of your next GPU.

The only place that PC gaming gets truly ridiculous is when you mix it with being an ethusiast. Watercooling, OCing, Multi-monitors, Multi-GPUs, that stuff is ridiculously expensive to maintain year in and year out.

This all could be changing with the new consoles though as i suspect we'll see a large advancement in graphics but also we should see far better optimization and no more ports for PC games considering the hardware the consoles are on.

16. Siskods9

Siskods9 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti SLI
    DX11 can easily bring any high end card to its knees at resolutions above 1080p, add High AA levels into the mix and the fps just go lower...

I have a water-cooled GTX 680 SLI rig and I can't always hit 60fps @ 2560x1440 so I'd welcome the extra horsepower.

What I'd really like to see are 120fps capable monitors at 1440p and 1600p and I know its a pipe dream but a Physics add on to the Direct X suite that could be universally accelerated by both AMD and Nvidia GPUs would be awesome... I'll keep dreaming.

Flagship single GPU cards though should be no more than $500.

I will never buy Titan.

Incidentally, just how good could DX11 games look with GPUs that are 'considerably' more powerful than Titan? Anyone got any thoughts on this?
    'Final Fantasy Spirits Within' good? How close to photo-realistic could they actually get?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  17. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    We've made too many compromises already, too many concessions...They charge us $550, and we throw them our money. They charge us $1000, and we throw them our money. Not again. The line must be drawn here...this far and no farther!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jln3mi0vfJU

18. Siskods9

Siskods9 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti SLI
    Agreed

19. PhoBos82

PhoBos82 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Keeping my eye on this one.

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    AMD vs Nvidia.... great for consumers.......