FCAT benchmarking an article introduction [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this article we will introduce you towards FCAT benchmarking. The past couple of months we have seen a some new dynamics in measuring the framerate of your games. Basically the framerate of your ...

FCAT benchmarking an article introduction

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Excellent read. Explains the new benchmarking methodology rather nicely.

3. Phuncz

Phuncz Active Member

GPU:
    Excellent write-up, I'm very pleased you are going to incorporate FCAT testing into your reviews ! This needs to be known, so the manufacturers (AMD more than NVIDIA at this point) can make constant frame-times a priority and eliminate micro-stutter.

One point I'd like to make is that it would benefit all if you would include the same scaling for all your graphs and include zoomed-in versions indented or offset enough that it's clear it isn't the same. Because some aren't really comparable when they use different scaling like these two:

[​IMG]
    22-44ms scaling (22ms range)

[​IMG]
    0-30ms scaling (30ms range)

It would have been more helpful if the charts were 0-50ms, which is basically with a broad margin the lowest-highest we'd ever want to see anyway.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Hilbert, please don't use the term 'quickie introduction'...just 'quick introduction' would be enough without having the readers being rendered into wild imaginings. :p

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Yeah I know and actually mention that a couple of times in the article. Over time you'll see charts with fixed scaling. Percentile charts will range from 0 to 100% and the plots we need to figure out some sort of fixed y-axis for (likely ~60ms).

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    How much time will this add to your reviews? The cost itself is eye-watering!

7. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    Hilbert,

I've read your description a couple of times now and I'm not really sure why you need to store all the frame data? If all you care about is the differing colours couldn't you just store the 1 pixel from bottom left?

The only reason I can see for not doing that is that it the video capture device can only store the full frame and instead you'd require CPU to pull out just the 1 pixel? But I cannot imagine that would be at all taxing as extracting a value from a known location in a frame is very simple.

Just throwing out my opinion as a software developer, that thats the road I would have gone down to avoid that storage problem. It would also most likely simplify the data analysis later too.

8. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Thanks.
    And explanation of every graph helped me (noob) a lot.
    Again thanks.

9. Osamar

Osamar Guest

GPU:
    Gforce 560 Ti 1Gb
    If I am not wrong, you will need at least one pixel thick bar, becuase you could have mixed frames (tearing ???), so multiple colors in the bar.

10. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    Good point! But that still reduces the amount of storage by a very large amount.

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hilbert, thank you for this article. I do hope such analysis will be added to the new card reviews, especially when compering the performance of multi-GPU solutions.

However, the question arises - how reliable and jitter-free is the capture device? :D

12. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Just wanted to say thank you for an excellent article! Nice to see microstutter examined in such detail rather than subjective 'by eye' comments as has seemed to be the case up until now.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That question can probably be answered by feeding the capture card a VSynced signal. If the results turn out flat, there you go, no jitter (oversimplifying it, but oh well).

Thank you Hilbert for a very interesting read!

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Ow, my head. Makes a bit more sense, but owwwww.

15. rsnubje

rsnubje New Member

GPU:
    PoV GTX 680
    Basicly, as it is an analysis tool, you also would like to see the frame that comes with the time. So if the graph says all the frames are for example 30ms and one or more are outstanding with let's say 60ms, you want to be able to look back at that specific frame to see what it looks like, is it or is it not a tearing or stuttering. This way you can tell if it's really giving you a bad gaming experience or not.

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    And Vsync eliminates these issues, correct?

17. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    More data, when it is applicable to increasing understanding, is always a good thing. This FCAT testing most certainly provides that. That's a ton of work, and expense, but it will provide better and more accurate performance analysis and that is absolutely to be commended. Great job, Hilbert and team. You're showing exactly why this is one top notch site to be kept on the short list that I always check for reviews come new hardware.

On a sidenote, I took the FCAT of an entirely different nature while I lived in Florida. I just thought that was somewhat amusing, even if irrelevent.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    And so it begins the race for who can render things with the lowest and most stable frame latency, Who will win Nvidia or AMD/ATI. Obviously Nvidia is better at this atm, but who knows what will happen.

Personal it dont mater to if it make all GPU better and smooth as a result its becomes win win situation for all of us

19. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Amazing review thank you :)

20. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    So ... nVidia says they've released the scripts so people can use them, but I can't find a download anywhere?