PC upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cooloon, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    Hi there,
    I am looking for advice with an upgrade of my PC.

I am using my PC for games and browsing mostly and even though I am not a heavy gamer when I play I want to run games at decent settings and FPS. I mostly play RPGs, MMOs and some MOBA/arena type games.

I currently run:

Seasoninc 500W
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
    Dual-Core E2160 @ 2,42 GHz
    2x2GB 1066MHz DDR2
    Radeon 5770 1GB

I have to say it runs all I am playing at mid-high settings quite fine, just sometimes it's showing the age and FPS could be better(currently running at 20-25FPS).

I do not like buying whole new rig at a time and prefer upgrading specific parts as they start to age and lacking and I would like to keep the upgrade cycle at 200-250 USD at a time(every 1-2 years), so please keep that in mind when suggesting an upgrade.

Thank you.

2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Ideal upgrade would be Haswell i5 with H81/B85 board and 8GB RAM for around 300$. Bit more expensive, but would last longer.

3. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    I checked the prices briefly but it seems that CPU+MB+RAM would cost me way more than 300 USD which is already far beyond what I want to spend on an upgrade anyway.

Unless I am playing strategy games or high-end FPS, which I don't, I don't see much point in spending so much money on CPU. I am using E2160 and I don't think it's such a bottleneck.

The issue I see that only reasonable upgrade for CPU is quad core but those are way too expensive currently :/

Socket 1155 is lacking some cheap variants such as Dual-Core Gxxxx line. Are they supposed to be released any time soon? I would go with one of those and upgraded to i5 later, in 3-4 years.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  4. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    i5 4430/4570 cost 180-200$, H81/B85 MB can be had for 50-70$, 8GB RAM around 50$. The thing about this upgrade is that it will last you much longer. CPU is something you invest into. Your CPU is a HUGE bottleneck. According to Anand bench it's about as slow as Athlon 64 X2. And that was a huge bottleneck for me several years ago.

LGA1155 has a full lineup, but I believe you meant LGA1150. In that case, you might want to wait a bit. Haswell i3/Pentium CPUs should be released next month.

In all honesty, this part makes no sense to me whatsoever.

5. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    When I tone down the graphics, the FPS jumps high so no, CPU isn't a main limiting factor. Shadows and gfx details on the other hand...

Apart from specific game types, games really need only little CPU power(there are a few charts on topic around the intertentz) hence that is why CPU for 80 USD last me so long and I am reluctant spending 220-230 USD on a new one - that is unfortunately the lowest price I can get cheapest Haswell for :(

Yes, I meant 1150. Sorry for typo.

NVidia 650 Ti and R7850 dropped in price lately which I think could be nice upgrade and I am wondering whether there is same case for CPU but I can't find any :(

6. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    I guess that depends on what you use your PC for.

I am a casual player. I do not play as much performance demanding games(and game altogether) thus going for performance is a quite pointless for me and I focus more on economy of the purchase, and there with increased power, value ratio tends to decrease.

EDIT:
    To demonstrate what I mean.

Start up your most CPU demanding game and turn down gfx to minimum. Then look at your FPS.

Your FPS is likely to be very high, easily around 100 FPS or more. That means your CPU power and money spent are wasted.

Thus, why spending so much on CPU when GPU will bottleneck your system much easier?

7. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Cooloon i don't know where you are located but you could get a used part to replace that dual-core, i'm talking about the q6600/q9450, etc...With the rest of the money invest on a better graphics card and sell that one.

8. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    Yeah, Q6600 is something I was very much thinking about...

9. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Go for something like an FX6300 as they are pretty cheap and have great OC potential.

10. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB

11. dyonoctis

dyonoctis Guest

GPU:
    Amd R9 270x
    but there also test who show that at some point uppgrading the gpu from a entry/mid range to a mid/high range will make no difference if the cpu can't keep up.
    If you're a casual, you don't have to get an i5 or an i7,but at least an ivy/haswell pentium or a core i3. Even in modern games,physics ,particles, or scene with a lot of pnj are highly dependent on the cpu.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/...-review-intel-core-i7-3770k-and-i5-3570k.html
    you can see even so modern cpu don't get 100 % loaded a good cpu still make a difference

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  12. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    If you change a GPU and keep that CPU and mobo, you wont see any difference because your CPU will be such a massive bottleneck it just makes no sense wasting money.

If you are upgrading anything atm, you should go CPU and mobo first then everything else. Also if I am not mistaken you are still on DDR2 or even DDR RAM?

13. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    Since all tests and experience implies otherwise, your opinion is based on...?

14. dyonoctis

dyonoctis Guest

GPU:
    Amd R9 270x
  15. dyonoctis

dyonoctis Guest

GPU:
    Amd R9 270x
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

16. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    Well, even very old Q6600 gets about 75 FPS on average hence that is why I see little point in spending on CPU, especially when you consider that my VGA won't be as powerful and bottleneck me much easier.

Great chart tho, thanks!

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ah, you're one of those who come asking for advice and when they get it they just refuse to listen and become cocky?

I can tell you your cpu would bottleneck any half decent gpu out there. Hey, I went from q6600@3ghz to i5 2500k and even with the 2500k at stock, I got visible fps boost in many games. Some like F1 2011 ran 20 odd fps better. That's with a hd 6870. So yeah, the q6600 bottlecknecked even a hd 6870. No matter what gpu you get, it'll be massively bottlenecked by your cpu. You would be throwing money away.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, it gets 74fps on average, but don't say there's very little bottleneck when a 2500k gets 161fps on average. that's a massive difference. So like I said, upgrade your cpu to something modern, otherwise buying a gpu is a waste.

19. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    ....because you notice the difference between 74 and 161 FPS, right?

I am not cocky, but why should I listen to ill advice?

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Then just stick a better GPU on your current setup and come back and complain that it does not do any better than what your current GPU did. Eclap is not giving you ill advice your just not hearing what you want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.