Windows 8 people how do you clean install nvidia drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gamer1291, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Woodles

Woodles Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX OC GTX 970 4GB
    Just like many people here, if I really need to do a clean install I just tick that option. I have never had problems with drivers honestly. I always install over old versions for the most part. Don't even need to restart the computer these days for some driver installs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Some of you people make it sound like "Clean Install" option actually does something to clean (like completely remove old driver leftovers etc).

It's my understanding that "Clean Install" option is for resetting game profiles to NVIDIA's default. (You can always backup/restore entire game profile settings using NVIDIA Inspector).
    If I'm not mistaken, "Clean Install" does not completely remove old residue from drivers. Whether this leftovers (registry & files) from old drivers affect performance (and/or stability) is different topic.

3. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    The clean install is not just for game profiles and does in fact remove the previous driver.
    Any files/reg that remain are replaced with the new driver.

The question was asked in the old nVidia forums when the new installer first appeared and was confirmed by nVidia rep.

If you want to see for yourself then check your C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository after a clean install and you will find only the latest driver. (this is just a quick example)

Maybe a rep from nvidia will confirm it again if you want to ask them as the old nvidia forums no longer exist to show you the exact post. :)

4. scaramonga

scaramonga Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 W/C
    I uninstall, then pick through the registry and delete every reference (gotta be careful, but I have been doing it for years, not missed a beat yet) boot into 'safe mode' and delete all Nvidia directories that are locked, reboot, install new drivers :)

5. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    there is no need to do a clean install anymore. nvidia isnt as bad as 10 years ago with drivers left over.

you can install and simply reset all settings

6. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Run as admin use clean install and then chose custom so you can get what you need !

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This.

8. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
  9. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
  10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    And cleaning deeply provides what benefit exactly?
    It's all in your heads based on the past. This is 2013, just install over old and select clean option, no troubles.

11. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Things in the computer world dont always work 100%. Especially if you have an old install and reinstalled new nvidia drivers time and time again. This ensures to minimize or remove problems.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Maybe in the old days, i always install over the old, only likely to have issue if Windows is borked in some way or can't access the driver files to modify for some screwed up reason. An overwritten file is an overwritten file. The old problems of old registries not erased or overwritten was the usual culprit or the driver has some poor code, conflicts with other components or bugs..etc.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Uninstall Drivers
    Restart in Safe Mode
    Use Driver Fusion - Clean
    Use CCenhancer
    Use CCleaner
    Use Auslogics Registry cleaner
    Use TweakNow RegCleaner
    Use Wise Registry cleaner

Restart in normal mode - Install new drivers.

14. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Well you can do as you want to ofc, but I dont buy the assumption that cause you havent had any problems not 'in the old days' noone else is gonna have it either.

Most of the time most of the people wont have problems but I dont assume thats 100%.

15. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    placebo

drivers call precisely the dlls needed etc. there used to be system conflicts etc back in windows 98, buggy installers etc, it's no longer the case these days.

16. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    LOL do u really need to use 3 registry cleaners after uninstall of drivers :nerd:

I already screwed up my windows 8 once by using driver fusion and if i use driver fusion + 3 registry cleaners i might have to reinstall my windows 8 again.

17. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Ok here´s an example. Many users have reported problems with drivers when installing and having a program like msi ab /prec x active.

So buggy stuff only happened in windows 98, noone has any problems with drivers any more, right? If you were talking about an xbox or ps3 you might be correct. Same hardware etc. We arent. This is pc. Loads of different configs, loads of different users several os´s that have loads of different drivers, av´s etc. Your assumption is correct, only if there is not a single person in the world who hasnt had a problem.

Oh and one more thing. Dont use big words like placebo if you dont know what it means.

18. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    yes and yes

if you cant follow the simplest first screen of driver instlal instructions of closing all programs, you deserve to get a blue screen

19. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    i always uninstall from device manager, and choose Delete driver software. Windows likes to keep copies of every driver you install.

Not sure if the clean install options deletes the software off the drive... I'll check next time a driver set comes out.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Yes but that is the result of how you have been using your computer, what's on there, what's happening while the driver is installing..etc. Which would happen anyway even if you deep cleaned it. On a newer install or a well maintained one, there is far less chance of encountering any issues outside of shoddy code.
    Typically it's just recommended to uninstall from CP, then reinstall. Going to safemode, registry cleaners..etc is just crazy.

Just click the installer, don't even bother uninstalling, reboot your games will work fine, if not the fault was elsewhere and you could probably stand a fresh format anyway.